Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Wink

I’ve lost my mask, but I see I can get a replacement.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/s6-respir...gAAOSwUOJeTXl3

I have an NBC Suit in original sealed wrapping to go with it. That should do.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The masks we see people wearing do not filter viruses. End of. They are entierly pointless. Be it from catching it yourself or spreading it to others. they are literally 0% effective.
probably WORSE than zero % effective as nearly everyone who wears a mask touches their face much more frequently
i wear a mask every day a work (surgery) and am quite used to wearing one and don’t touch my face at all and I know unless it’s a properly fitted N95 or better they are, as stated, useless
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Agreed, as a doctor I think its stupid that this has gone on but of course some companies are making $$$. Its absurd going through airports seeing people with pointless masks half off their faces or even snugly fit knowing that they have zero benefits and likely cause even more risks. Go wash your hands and stop being hysterical.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
Agreed, as a doctor I think its stupid that this has gone on but of course some companies are making $$$. Its absurd going through airports seeing people with pointless masks half off their faces or even snugly fit knowing that they have zero benefits and likely cause even more risks. Go wash your hands and stop being hysterical.

hand washing seems to be key. But perhaps buying a mask is easier and a psychological ‘feel good’ even if of no effect. Oneat LGW travellex was wearing a floor sanding dust mask this week. Perhaps that’s testament to the lack of education from the U.K. government?

My main worry with hand washing is that on BA the loos are in such poor shape after an hour or so that I’m never sure I’m going to pick up more in there than I’ve washed off. Perhaps this is a wake up call for BA/Cruz to finally tackle the loo hygiene issue?

If Cathay are masktastic the key nevertheless might be that, like JAL, they also clean the loos in flight.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Several people in the T3 lounges today wearing them and a few on the flight to BCN, however they all seemed happy enough to take them off when alcohol was on offer!
adrianlondon, T8191 and Wbeest like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milkyway88
Several people in the T3 lounges today wearing them and a few on the flight to BCN, however they all seemed happy enough to take them off when alcohol was on offer!
lol of course
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFB_london
hand washing seems to be key. But perhaps buying a mask is easier and a psychological ‘feel good’ even if of no effect. Oneat LGW travellex was wearing a floor sanding dust mask this week. Perhaps that’s testament to the lack of education from the U.K. government?

My main worry with hand washing is that on BA the loos are in such poor shape after an hour or so that I’m never sure I’m going to pick up more in there than I’ve washed off. Perhaps this is a wake up call for BA/Cruz to finally tackle the loo hygiene issue?

If Cathay are masktastic the key nevertheless might be that, like JAL, they also clean the loos in flight.
handwashing and general good hygiene practices are behaviors like anything else we do and ones that most human beings are unwilling to do well as it takes more effort than walking around with a mask half dangling off ones face I suppose
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by DFB_london

Maybe, in addition to the usual soap and water inside the loos, hand sanitizer gel should be placed both outside and inside the loos. Might encourage more people to take basic precautions although the gel is less efficient than soap and water.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:02 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I am certainly not arguing with you... I truly don't know... but if they are so ineffective why then are so many people wearing them in affected areas?
Because the media is pedalling hysteria and every image shown in covering the story has people wearing masks. Sky News app has 50% of stories covering the issue and there are 3 ads for masks on every story. I'm frankly sick of the panic caused by the media which isn't serving anyone but could cause many many businesses to go under, all so they can sell ad space. Sky News does have correct advice on a story about how masks are ineffective, but then reinforces the wrong behaviour by showing every story with pictures of people with masks on.

The media are interested in one thing. Covering a story. If it isn't dramatic enough, they will create drama and panic. If it causes a global recession, all the better. More dramatic news. It's a feeding frenzy with no one knowing what the real truth is. Which is in the end not great for fighting the virus.The media seems to talk as if it is unavoidable with maps and graphs. At some point people will shrug their shoulders and see it as inevitable that it will become as bad as it gets and give up on the things that DO prevent the virus spreading - hygiene - hand hygiene in particular.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Feb 26, 2020 at 4:07 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dwugson
Maybe, in addition to the usual soap and water inside the loos, hand sanitizer gel should be placed both outside and inside the loos. Might encourage more people to take basic precautions although the gel is less efficient than soap and water.
I have an issue with the lo doors. I go through the trouble of washing my hands thoroughly then I have to touch the door hand to exit the loos! DOH! I always go into a loo now with a clean tissue to use on the handle to get out without having to touch it.

On all the cruise ships I have been on the doors open automatically so that you don't touch them after washing your hand. I don't expect all loos to have automatic doors but they could make them so they open outwards so you can just push with your shoulders to exit without having to touch the handle.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:21 am

I have an issue with the lo doors. I go through the trouble of washing my hands thoroughly then I have to touch the door hand to exit the loos! DOH! I always go into a loo now with a clean tissue to use on the handle to get out without having to touch it.

On all the cruise ships I have been on the doors open automatically so that you don't touch them after washing your hand. I don't expect all loos to have automatic doors but they could make them so they open outwards so you can just push with your shoulders to exit without having to touch the handle.
The bifold doors are the best. Just push the middle outwards with your elbow.
adrianlondon and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:22 am

I have an issue with the lo doors. I go through the trouble of washing my hands thoroughly then I have to touch the door hand to exit the loos!
Quite apart from the corona virus, toilets pose a high microbiological problem with their doors. Toilets are never nice places so people get out of them as quickly as they can. Embedded in their mind is the need to wash hands but they then don’t bother to dry them. Wet will spread bugs much more effectively than dry hands so the handle becomes contaminated.
adrianlondon, Ldnn1 and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:27 am
Suspended

Thumbs up Worried

Corona is still a big concern but, you can still avoid wearing a mask until you are ill.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by milkyway88
I'm in the T5 south lounge now and only seen a couple of people wearing masks. There are hand gel pumps at all the food stations but not many are using them.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Camflyer
There are hand gel pumps at all the food stations but not many are using them.
Of course not, why would most people do something that actually helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.