FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:02 pm
itsmeitisss

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I am certainly not arguing with you... I truly don't know... but if they are so ineffective why then are so many people wearing them in affected areas?
Because the media is pedalling hysteria and every image shown in covering the story has people wearing masks. Sky News app has 50% of stories covering the issue and there are 3 ads for masks on every story. I'm frankly sick of the panic caused by the media which isn't serving anyone but could cause many many businesses to go under, all so they can sell ad space. Sky News does have correct advice on a story about how masks are ineffective, but then reinforces the wrong behaviour by showing every story with pictures of people with masks on.

The media are interested in one thing. Covering a story. If it isn't dramatic enough, they will create drama and panic. If it causes a global recession, all the better. More dramatic news. It's a feeding frenzy with no one knowing what the real truth is. Which is in the end not great for fighting the virus.The media seems to talk as if it is unavoidable with maps and graphs. At some point people will shrug their shoulders and see it as inevitable that it will become as bad as it gets and give up on the things that DO prevent the virus spreading - hygiene - hand hygiene in particular.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Feb 26, 2020 at 4:07 pm