Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalkís moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of membersí statements. While thatís fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Seoul residents wear masks FAR more often than Americans. Generally, that is because of pollution concerns, but there is always some illness awareness.
Itís not only in Seoul/Korea. In Japan and China you see many people wearing masks especially in winter in normal years. Iíve heard some Japanese people complaining they need masks during hay fever season but canít get hold of them. Starting this weekend they are going to ban resale of masks in Japan.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
In Hong Kong right now, everyone is wearing masks all the time. It's pretty much socially unacceptable to ride a bus, MTR or walk on the street without one. The onlyplace they are not common is the hiking trails. And what's interesting is that despite the Government complete ineptitude, and the continued movements across the border with China, HK has relatively few cases. Plus, cases of the flu are down hugely as well. So there is no doubt in my mind that wearing masks helps - NOT because the mask-wearer is less likely to catch anything, but because sick people who don't kjnow they are sick are wearing them and preventing infections. So this mask-wearing lark ONLY WORKS IF EVERYONE DOES IT! (which, as a noted above, they do in HK). Can't see it working in the West were mask wearing is culturally not a thing.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

China instituted a strict mask policy and everyone here in Shanghai abides by it (save for a few recalcitrant foreigners who embarrass us all). The solution seems to have worked and it makes sense that it would. Those saying not to wear masks are likely doing so because there is no supply in their respective countries. It just doesnít make sense that not wearing one would be equal to wearing one.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: Enrich
It just not only mask supply issue. Some of the healthcare related people also reluctant to wear mask when dealing with patient as they strongly believe the COVID-19 has no impact on young and able body person. This could results in even worse scenario since the virus has been confirmed it can be transmitted without symptoms.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It is customary in countries like Japan and Korea for those with colds or whatever, to wear these masks in their day-to-day outings. While they don't necessarily protect us from this virus, they do stop particles should the person wearing them sneeze or cough. I was in Seoul for five days at the end of last month and did wear one when out in crowds (not many crowds though) or on the subway. (It was offered to me free when entering the city art museum, though I've always packed my own when traveling should it be needed.) I brought a few back should I need to wear one back home after my self-imposed 14-day quarantine. (I do have a heavy-duty SARS-rated mask that was purchased for working in dusty areas.)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I just finished my first trip since this fuss began. I was in North American airports 10 times in 7 days. The only people I saw wearing masks were a younger couple who'd arrived in TPA from YYZ. I also attended sporting events and a conference. No masks in sight. I did perceive an increase in hand sanitizer stations but it is quite possible I just didn't notice them previously.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:39 am

airlines require 100% face mask usage, even on 14-hour TPAC flights, but where are

fake news removed.

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Mar 21, 2020 at 9:29 am
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both EVA and China Airlines are advising mask usage from check in to deplaning - with the exception of food/drink. They will also take the temperature and anyone above 37.5C/99.5F will be denied boarding.

Not sure what happens if you don't have a mask.

https://www.evaair.com/en-tw/about-e...id19-news.html

https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ert=38103-7030
TravelingZoomer likes this.

Last edited by username; Mar 21, 2020 at 4:34 pm Reason: Mask use is an advisory.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by username
Both EVA and China Airlines are requiring mask usage from check in to deplaning - with the exception of food/drink. They will also take the temperature and anyone above 37.5C/99.5F will be denied boarding.

https://www.evaair.com/en-tw/about-e...id19-news.html

https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ert=38103-7030
Taiwan once again leading the world in preventative measures.

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744

For any of you DIY people out there, you can make masks at home. The most effective material to use would be a vacuum bag (but itís difficult to breathe with). The second most effective material is an old tshirt made out of cloth.

Also, people are continuously citing masks donít work to protect you. I find this claim dubious at best.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306645/

facemask protection was found to be 45 per cent, while under expiratory emissions, protection varied from 33 to 100 per cent.
Pretty sure 33% (at the low end) is a lot better than 0%. But again itís not about you, itís about protecting others in case you have it
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by bobbytables
itís true. Masks can have a negative effect though, since the wearer often touches their face more, and people often wear them after they should be thrown away. Granted, the above discussion was about a ďperfect useĒ scenario.
I throw my used ones on the dashboard of my car so they can get fried in the sun !
Better than nothing.......
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Taiwan once again leading the world in preventative measures.

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744

For any of you DIY people out there, you can make masks at home. The most effective material to use would be a vacuum bag (but itís difficult to breathe with). The second most effective material is an old tshirt made out of cloth.

Also, people are continuously citing masks donít work to protect you. I find this claim dubious at best.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3306645/

Pretty sure 33% (at the low end) is a lot better than 0%. But again itís not about you, itís about protecting others in case you have it
Actually, its about protecting others and oneself.

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I throw my used ones on the dashboard of my car so they can get fried in the sun !
Good idea about the dash. And, yes better than nothing. Can't fathom why so many people dismiss the efficacy of masks, even if incremental.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
...Can't fathom why so many people dismiss the efficacy of masks, even if incremental.
I think in the West, people are just not used to it and associate it with being sick.

Most governments are also not telling people to wear masks because they know there is not enough supply.

On top of that, there are always these people who poke holes at things that are not perfect to make their points. We are at the point of "reduce the risk any way you can to help slow the spread". Many still don't see that.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ultraviolet supposedly kills the virus. However, too much sun can weaken the mask.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I've come across several patterns for 'surgical' style masks. I'll give you that they are available but I wouldn't want to make a claim as to their efficiency. Also a N95 mask is useless if not put on properly and procedures followed while wearing it.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I throw my used ones on the dashboard of my car so they can get fried in the sun!
That works....IF there is sun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.