Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

We have a few flights coming up but I am getting a bit worried about travel with regard to coronavirus. The first question is should we be travelling at all? None of our travel is essential (all leisure) but they are all on non-refundable tickets and to places that are not particularly affected. Cancelling will cost us quite a bit and as it would be voluntary cancellation it won't be covered by insurance. The issue is that travel put you into close proximity of others. If we do travel should we be wearing masks? All the time? What about in the lounges and on the aircraft?

We have some travel next week (LGW, AMS, EDI, GLA), some towards the end of March (LGW,TIA) and some at the end of April (LHR, ORD).

What are people's thoughts especially with regard to the wearing of masks around the airport, in BA lounges and on aircraft? Are you doing it?

I have to be honest... we are confused as to what to do right now.

Note to Mods:
Sorry if this is not in the right forum. I am particularly interested in those using BA lounges and flying BA as we fly almost exclusively BA. If I posted in a more general forum then the replies would not be so relevant. Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Official advice is to avoid wearing a mask unless you are ill yourself, in which case you should wear one to avoid infecting others
Andriyko, orbitmic, PAL62V and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:21 am

As mentioned the masks are really not a whole lot of use. Except if you have caught something to avoid transferring onwards.

Your travels are to areas with a truly minuscule risk of anything and you certainly shouldn’t worry about it. In fact I’m currently in Vietnam, travelling through Malaysia and Singapore too. Lots of locals wearing masks, but very few foreigners/tourists are.

Enjoy your trip.
orbitmic, injian, linz36 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:25 am

Arrived on the BA12 from Singapore this morning. No-one was wearing a mask
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Wash your hands regularly and avoid touching your face, especially the mouth, eyes or nose.

But that is generally good advise to avoid any infection including the common cold or flu.
Fims, Shingi, KenTarmac and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Starship73
Arrived on the BA12 from Singapore this morning. No-one was wearing a mask
For what it’s worth, the LAX-NRT was about 75% mask wearing on arrival. AA cabin crew wore
masks throughout the flight, though not always in the galley where food prep occurs.

On the streets and subways in Tokyo mask usage is likely greater than 75% currently. Usage in restaurants is around 100% by staff and 0% by patrons (difficult to eat while wearing a mask). Most places post signs about how staff are required to wear masks. Many restaurants and tourist attractions require using hand sanitizer upon entry.

The LAX OW business class lounge has removed all the toys from the kids area as they cannot keep them clean. This was quite the disappointment for my son.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: QF WP
If you decide to go for it (which I don’t think you should), please please take the time to work out how to wear the damn things properly

i wrote an idiots guide in another thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32049147-post13.html
estnet, Jimmie76, sdsearch and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
My advise would be to just travel as usual. I’m currently in NRT on the way back from a trip to the US, and while all JAL staff wear masks, not a lot of pax do. I was talking to one of the crew who also said it’s a bit exaggerated and personally she is not afraid - and I agree.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Just treat it as business as usual, especially if it’s not prevalent where you are travelling.

From experience it seems that less people are wearing masks now than they were 2 weeks ago whilst travelling. Not one person was wearing a mask in LGW lounges, and I’d say about 60% in HKG compared to 90% 2 weeks ago.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
We have a few flights coming up but I am getting a bit worried about travel with regard to coronavirus. The first question is should we be travelling at all? None of our travel is essential (all leisure) but they are all on non-refundable tickets and to places that are not particularly affected. Cancelling will cost us quite a bit and as it would be voluntary cancellation it won't be covered by insurance. The issue is that travel put you into close proximity of others. If we do travel should we be wearing masks? All the time? What about in the lounges and on the aircraft?

We have some travel next week (LGW, AMS, EDI, GLA), some towards the end of March (LGW,TIA) and some at the end of April (LHR, ORD).

What are people's thoughts especially with regard to the wearing of masks around the airport, in BA lounges and on aircraft? Are you doing it?

I have to be honest... we are confused as to what to do right now.

Note to Mods:
Sorry if this is not in the right forum. I am particularly interested in those using BA lounges and flying BA as we fly almost exclusively BA. If I posted in a more general forum then the replies would not be so relevant. Thanks
Having just done 4 flights for our family Ski holiday I'd say just carry on as normal. There were a few people kicking around the airports (MAN/LHR and SOF) wearing masks, but they were very much the minority and even less on the planes themselves.

My view here is that unless you're due to visit what would be regarded as a high risk area then carry on as normal, your probably still more likely to die in a car crash on route to the airport than from Coronavirus.

The only other thing I'd be thinking twice about right now would be a cruise tbh, life's too short and a lot of this is in the hands of fate really. I'm considering postponing a work trip to Delhi, Coronavirus is 25% in the reasoning for that, there's other factors too. It's not about catching but as the Indian authorities are getting more worried about it I'd rather not risk getting quarantined there if I show up with a common cold.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
The masks we see people wearing do not filter viruses. End of. They are entierly pointless. Be it from catching it yourself or spreading it to others. they are literally 0% effective.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The masks we see people wearing do not filter viruses. End of. They are entierly pointless. Be it from catching it yourself or spreading it to others. they are literally 0% effective.
In fact arguably less than 0% effective, in that the masks then become a hazard in themselves because they have to be disposed of properly. Often they are not.

One of the most laughable things I've seen is people wearing masks in the back of taxis but not putting their seatbelts on, which is literally 1,000 times more dangerous.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies.

Yes, I think if it were a cruise then we would be considering cancelling... it is difficult enough on a cruise to avoid norovirus sometimes! We are not cruising this year!

I guested that this was pretty much as you described it but as my wife is diabetic (and so at more risk) I just wanted to check.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: QF WP
I mean thats how to wear a mask all well and good. Except.... it doesnt filter viruses. so is completely pointless.
Originally Posted by nancypants
this is something of an endless debate. Yes they don’t filter loose viruses. But coronavirus is not spread as a loose virus, it’s spread in droplets which are significantly bigger and are filtered by N95s
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I am certainly not arguing with you... I truly don't know... but if they are so ineffective why then are so many people wearing them in affected areas?
Narratress and Billyfergus like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.