Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Same Day Stand-By

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
I wish there was some sort of exception or red-eye flights that are scheduled to leave ~15 minutes before midnight. It bites me on Friday when I'm scheduled RNO-IAH-DFW on the 11:37 AM flight. Well there are only two flights a day out of RNO on CO; a late morning and an 11:55 PM red-eye. What that means is that I cannot fly same-day confirmed on the earlier red-eye that allows me to get to my destination the same day, just a little early because it is not the "same-day" by five minutes. I know rules are rules, but that sucks.
There always was an exception for red-eye flights (12am-3am departures).

And, under the new rules you actually can catch the 11:55 the night before your scheduled departure. If you are booked on the 11:37am and want to fly out on the 11:55pm the night before you are within 24 hours of your scheduled original departure. The tricky part is that technically you cannot confirm it until you are within 12 hours of your original departure time, which would be 11:37pm the night before. That puts you in a tough position of trying to get the GA or the Elite desk to process the change 18 minutes prior to departure. Of course, this will all stop being a problem in a couple months when RNO-IAH shuts down.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi Everyone,

As I posted last week, we'll be making some changes to our policy for same-day flight changes. These changes are now posted on continental.com, and will go into effect on June 19th. Here are the key points of the new policy:
  1. 12-Hour Window.You’ll be able to confirm same-day flight changes within 24 hours of your original scheduled departure. Within this 24-hour “same-day” window, you’ll be able to change to any flight up to 12 hours before its departure for the discounted fee. Previously, we only allowed you to choose from flights departing within 3 hours.

2. New Fee Structure. The discounted change fee will be $50, or $25 for OnePass Platinum and Gold Elite members. This fee will apply to all itineraries wholly operated by Continental, including Continental Express, Continental Connection and Continental Micronesia. If you’re on an unrestricted ticket, same-day changes will be free of charge if seats are available. The fees are the same as were announced back in April, but the 50% discount for OnePass Platinum and Gold members is new.

3. Ability to handle via Online Check-in. Starting June 24th, the ability to request same-day flight changes will be available when checking in at continental.com. Later this year, we’re also planning to add this capability to our mobile check-in via pda.continental.com.

4. New Rules for Voluntary Standby. If there are no seats available to be confirmed you can still stand by, but the same fee will apply. In these cases, you’ll only be charged if you clear on an earlier flight. Previously, the same-day change fee didn’t apply to voluntary standby. When standing by due to involuntary circumstances (i.e. irregular operations), the fee does not apply.
If you have any questions that aren’t already addressed in our online FAQ, please post them here. While this change isn't meant to be one of our 6 in 6, this is an important and necessary change for us to make. We at least hope you’ll agree that the expanded 12-hour window and the ability to handle these changes online will be beneficial.

OK, I have some questions and gripes. I just tried to change my flight tomorrow afternoon to a slightly earlier one. Here's what I found:

1) No offer to do that at online checkin. "Starting June 24th, the ability to request same-day flight changes will be available when checking in at continental.com. " Bah, humbug.

2) Scott, you said "You’ll be able to confirm same-day flight changes within 24 hours of your original scheduled departure. Within this 24-hour “same-day” window, you’ll be able to change to any flight up to 12 hours before its departure for the discounted fee."

I was just told by an Elite agent that their guidelines preclude me getting the earlier flight because my original class of service is not available. NOWHERE in either your statement or the explanation of this and associated FAQs on Continental.com is this mentioned. What's up with that?

I am not a happy camper.

Last edited by Bonehead; Jun 25, 2008 at 6:10 pm
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:24 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by Totoro
If my ticketed flight is delayed to the point that the next flight will depart earlier, will stand-by for the next flight fall under "standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity" and therefore free? I may not have a connection but would like to arrive as close as possible to my originally scheduled itinerary.
Yes, Totoro, in a scenario like this it would be considered involuntary standby, and would therefore be exempt from this fee.

The FAQ states "if you miss your flight, you will be permitted to stand by for any alternative flight up to two hours after your original flight for no charge, provided there is one." With the planned cutbacks, many routes will have flights separated by more than 2 hours. If I miss my flight, will I have to pay the fee to stand-by for the next flight if it is scheduled to leave >2 hours later than my ticketed flight?
Originally Posted by Yad
Worse. You'll have to pay $150 change fee plus the fare difference (which could easily be $500-1000 I would guess). At least that's how I read the policy.

As written, this policy is really capricious since so much depends on when the next flight is. I had thought they used to say that if you showed up within 2 hours of your scheduled flight, you would be accomodated on the next flight even if it is 6 hours later.
To clarify, our policy for when youve missed the check-in cut-off for your flight hasnt changed with this introduction of this new policy. Our same-day change option is available only until your original flight is closed for check-in. After that, beyond our two-hour rule, the normal change fees associated with your fare will apply.

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Is it safe to assume from the FAQs that WorldPerks Platinum and Gold elites are not eligible for the 50% standby fee reduction extended to our OnePass brother and sister elites?
Yes, SAT Lawyer, thats correct.

Originally Posted by jjgollum
OK - so let me test this out:

I'm scheduled for 5 pm departure IAH-BOS but it doesn't look like a I'll get the upgrade (3 seats left and though I am platinum, I am on a B class ticket). The 7 pm departure is wide open in First class.

Can I change to the 7pm flight at 7 am or 5 am? (for 25 dollar fee, of course)
Hi jjgollum, at 7am. While you can confirm same-day changes within the 24 hour "same-day" window, you can only choose from flights that depart within 12 hours of when the request is made.

Originally Posted by jjgollum
Am I included on the upgrade standby list as soon as the change is confirmed or do I have to go to the airport/gate to be put on the upgrade list?
Youll automatically be added to the upgrade standby list on your new flight when making your change via kiosk or online check-in. If making the change over the phone, youll be added to the upgrade standby list when you check in for your flight. If you're making the change with one of our airport personnel, be sure to ask to be added to the upgrade standby list on the new flight (upgrade requests aren't automatic in these cases).

Originally Posted by FT Lurker
First post here. I have been lurking for about a year now and had a quick question. To whom would I write a letter after being charged the $50 fee for voluntary standby before the change took effect? I tried to switch my flight last Friday the 13th (from CO 468 to CO 268) and was told that voluntary standby was no longer available. After being redirected to the Customer Service Center at EWR, I rushed to the earlier flight only to sit on the tarmac for 2.5 hours in the Penalty Box!
Hi FT Lurker, sorry for the confusion. You shouldnt have been charged to stand by in this case. Please send contact our Customer Care department at 800-WE-CARE-2 to request a refund. If you have any problems, please send me a PM.

Originally Posted by gary_nj
I have a reservation for a flight next week; the ticket was purchased last December. At this point, it looks likely that I would be able to make use of standby for an earlier flight. I wonder what will happen when I attempt to quote the fare rules that were in effect when I booked my ticket as a reason that I should be exempt from the new fee for standby...
Hi gary_nj, since you purchased your ticket before this policy went into effect, you should be permitted to stand by for free. Our kiosk and online check-in systems have been programmed to recognize this automatically. If you're requesting to stand by with our airport personnel, you may need to point out to them the date of your ticket purchase.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Can anyone verify that this functionality is now live?
Hi Bonehead, as of a few minutes ago, this is now available via continental.com check-in (a day behind schedule). Our kiosks have also been updated, and of course, you can also handle same-day changes over the phone by calling your local Continental reservations number.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Scott, you said "You’ll be able to confirm same-day flight changes within 24 hours of your original scheduled departure. Within this 24-hour “same-day” window, you’ll be able to change to any flight up to 12 hours before its departure for the discounted fee."

I was just told by an Elite agent that their guidelines preclude me getting the earlier flight because my original class of service is not available. NOWHERE in either your statement or the explanation of this and associated FAQs on Continental.com is this mentioned. What's up with that?

I am not a happy camper.
Hi Bonehead, please remember that you may only switch to flights departing within 12 hours of when you're making the request (I say this because I see that you're booked well over 12 hours from now). Within 12 hours we automatically open up all main cabin classes of service for any flights that are still booked below capacity. That means a flight that's outside of the 12-hour window may not be available in your fare class now, but will be opened up at the 12-hour mark if it's indeed booked below capacity in the main cabin.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Questions:

1. If I am on a connecting flight and request the 12 hour change from my original departure flight, does this also apply to my 2nd segment at the same time that the 1st segment is confirmed? The second segment may then be more than 12 hours from the time for the original second segment? If you are able to confirm the 1st segment but not the second then it does not make sense to pay the $50/25, since you may have to wait at the connecting city for the original second flight?

2. What I read is that you can request the change at 24 hours before original departure time, but it will not be confirmed until 12 hours before the new flight time - true? Then if confirmed you would need to go back online 12 hours before new flight and select your seat for the new flight?

Last edited by cova; Jun 25, 2008 at 7:14 pm
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Hi Bonehead, please remember that you may only switch to flights departing within 12 hours of when you're making the request (I say this because I see that you're booked well over 12 hours from now). Within 12 hours we automatically open up all main cabin classes of service for any flights that are still booked below capacity. That means a flight that's outside of the 12-hour window may not be available in your fare class now, but will be opened up at the 12-hour mark if it's indeed booked below capacity in the main cabin.
I chose my handle for a reason...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: UA, AA
If my ticketed flight is delayed to the point that the next flight will depart earlier, will stand-by for the next flight fall under "standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity" and therefore free? I may not have a connection but would like to arrive as close as possible to my originally scheduled itinerary.

Yes, Totoro, in a scenario like this it would be considered involuntary standby, and would therefore be exempt from this fee.

This is great news, I was afraid CO was going to start charging me for just doing my best to navigate EWR and all of its associated fun.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Bump - may want to merge with the new thread started.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
^^^to the 12hr window.

BOOOOOOOOO to the 25$ for gold (me) and Plats to stand-by. Seriously CO just became more draconian than DL.

Scott please express my displeasure to the powers that be.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:40 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
To clarify, our policy for when youve missed the check-in cut-off for your flight hasnt changed with this introduction of this new policy. Our same-day change option is available only until your original flight is closed for check-in. After that, beyond our two-hour rule, the normal change fees associated with your fare will apply.
I phrased my question poorly. I meant to ask about the new SDC fee if we've OLCI for our flight and miss it (due to TSA, traffic, running on a bum leg, etc). I've run up to the jetway door, boarding pass in hand, with scant minutes to spare and could just as easily have missed my flight.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by cova
If I am on a connecting flight and request the 12 hour change from my original departure flight, does this also apply to my 2nd segment at the same time that the 1st segment is confirmed? The second segment may then be more than 12 hours from the time for the original second segment? If you are able to confirm the 1st segment but not the second then it does not make sense to pay the $50/25, since you may have to wait at the connecting city for the original second flight?
Hi cova, the fees apply to the entire trip, including connections (even if the connection is more than 12 hours out).

Originally Posted by cova
What I read is that you can request the change at 24 hours before original departure time, but it will not be confirmed until 12 hours before the new flight time - true? Then if confirmed you would need to go back online 12 hours before new flight and select your seat for the new flight?
This one was definitely a tough one to word. The 24-hour mark refers to the earliest point before your original departure that you can make a same-day change. Inside of this 24-hour "same-day" timeframe, you can confirm changes to any available flight departing within a 12 hour radius. I hope this clarifies.

I phrased my question poorly. I meant to ask about the new SDC fee if we've OLCI for our flight and miss it (due to TSA, traffic, running on a bum leg, etc). I've run up to the jetway door, boarding pass in hand, with scant minutes to spare and could just as easily have missed my flight.
Hi Totoro, whether you've missed the check-in cut-off or the boarding cut-off, the same 2-hour rule is supposed to apply. As I mentioned before, we haven't made any changes to our policies regarding missed flights.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:57 pm

Yes, Totoro, in a scenario like this it would be considered “involuntary standby,” and would therefore be exempt from this fee.

hi,
But what about this case: If i know ahead of time that my original flight is delayed (awaiting inbound aircraft or w/e) and there is an earlier flight. I need to reach my destination in time in order to make a connecting flight. Would continental still charge the $50 to be on stand by for the earlier flight or would this also be an "involuntary standby"? If the $50 still applies , would'nt it cost continental WAYY more in hotel fees/transportation since it was their fault that i missed my connecting flight and not weather/ ATC? (this is taken that i refuse to pay the 50$ )
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I now see the option with OLCI. However, it says $50 rather than $25. What gives?

Not that I would ever do this. I refuse to pay for something that should be free.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your original scheduled flight. Inside of this timeframe, you can try to take an alternate flight so long as it departs no more than 12 hours from when you are making the request.

So if I understand this correctly: If I have a flight tomorrow at 8AM and want to go today at noon, I can by just paying 25 bucks?

This is a brand new fee in the industry and totally changes the rules. I'm sure others will follow...

I just wish they would exempt Plats.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by tommy777
The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your original scheduled flight. Inside of this timeframe, you can try to take an alternate flight so long as it departs no more than 12 hours from when you are making the request.

So if I understand this correctly: If I have a flight tomorrow at 8AM and want to go today at noon, I can by just paying 25 bucks?

This is a brand new fee in the industry and totally changes the rules. I'm sure others will follow...

I just wish they would exempt Plats.
It is not a new fee. They increased the fee (from $25 across the board for confirmed standby, now raised to $25 Plat/Gold, $50 Silver/Non) and increased the window of opportunity (used to be same calendar day flight with request made within x hours of flight).

In doing so they took away the free same day standby (note that the new fee is not for standby, but rather for getting a seat... you standby for free, but the second they confirm a seat for you, they ding you for the $25/50) that pretty much nobody else in the industry offered.

I don't expect to see a lot of airlines follow because they didn't follow the $25 confirmed standby prior to the change and this is, in reality, not that big a change from before. ETA: Plus, while it's a fee increase and kind of a wash regarding less restrictive/more restrictive policies for CO, adopting such a structure would be a fee decrease and a less restrictive set of policies for pretty much all other airlines, and therefore not the direction the airlines are going.

Last edited by texd; Jul 2, 2008 at 6:28 pm Reason: to add last sentence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.