Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Same Day Stand-By

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Call me a cynic, but does anybody else think it's not a coincidence that this change is announced between CO being named top legacy carrier (tied) in customer satisfaction by J.D. Powers yesterday and best N. American Airline by OAG today?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Call me a cynic, but does anybody else think it's not a coincidence that this change is announced between CO being named top legacy carrier (tied) in customer satisfaction by J.D. Powers yesterday and best N. American Airline by OAG today?
I don't think it's anything but a coincidence. CO has been planning on implementing this change for some time.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:01 am

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
Originally Posted by Bonehead
...we have been very fortunate to have Scott as our liaison....
To the posters who for some reason need to make crude and inappropriate remarks, shame on you
Why don't you at least READ and TRY to comprehend the posts if you're going to comment on them?
I said the new POLICY stinks... I didn't say anything about Scott.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CO Insider

New Rules for Voluntary Standby. If there are no seats available to be confirmed you can still stand by, but the same fee will apply. In these cases, youll only be charged if you clear on an earlier flight. Previously, the same-day change fee didnt apply to voluntary standby. When standing by due to involuntary circumstances (i.e. irregular operations), the fee does not apply.
Hi All,

First post here. I have been lurking for about a year now and had a quick question. To whom would I write a letter after being charged the $50 fee for voluntary standby before the change took effect? I tried to switch my flight last Friday the 13th (from CO 468 to CO 268) and was told that voluntary standby was no longer available. After being redirected to the Customer Service Center at EWR, I rushed to the earlier flight only to sit on the tarmac for 2.5 hours in the Penalty Box!

Thanks in advance,
JB
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
This truely stinks. I think that silvers should be included in that $25 fee also. At $25 and having the pda site info knowing if an upgrade is possible, i would do it, but at $50 I really need to be desperate to get where i'm going to pay that fee.

I think the fee should be FREE for PLATS and $25 for GOLD/SILVER and then $50 for the non-elites. Thats my $0.02
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I saw the information below when reading a fare rule on KVS. Note that it refers to the standby fee in the fare rules, and even references some differences in the fee structure depending on the purchase date of the ticket.

I have a reservation for a flight next week; the ticket was purchased last December. At this point, it looks likely that I would be able to make use of standby for an earlier flight. I wonder what will happen when I attempt to quote the fare rules that were in effect when I booked my ticket as a reason that I should be exempt from the new fee for standby...

[KVS Availability Tool 3.1.2/Platinum - ZUJ: NYC-ANC/CO/LR21NN/415 USD]
Code:
 CO SAME DAY TRAVEL OPTIONS
- AVAILABLE WHEN CHECKING IN AT AIRPORT KIOSKS. APPLIES TO OUTBOUND/CONTINUING/RETURN
FLIGHTS. . 1. SAME DAY STANDBY PERMITTED FOR
AN EARLIER FLIGHT FOR A FEE OF A.  PLATINUM ELITE - 25.00 USD B.  GOLD
ELITE - 25.00 USD C.  SILVER ELITE - 50.00 USD D.  NON-ELITE - 50.00
USD TRAVEL MUST BE BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN/DESTINATION AND CONNECTION
ARPTS. CO-TERMINAL STANDBY IS NOT PERMITTED. STANDBY PROCESSING WILL
OCCUR WITHIN 12 HOURS OF A PASSENGERS DESIRED FLIGHT. . 2. CONFIRM
A SEAT ON AN ALTERNATE FLIGHT FOR A FEE OF A.  PLATINUM ELITE - 25.00
USD B.  GOLD ELITE - 25.00 USD C.  SILVER ELITE - 50.00 USD D.  NON-ELITE
- 50.00 USD ON FLIGHTS DEPARTING WITHIN 12 HOURS OF CHECK-IN WHEN
- A. THE SAME TICKETED INVENTORY CLASS IS AVAILABLE. B. TRAVEL IS
BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN CITY AND DESTINATION CITY. C. NEW FLIGHTS AND
ROUTING ARE PERMITTED PER THE FARE RULE. D. ALL TRAVEL IS ON- CO FLIGHTS
1-889 CO FLIGHTS 1000-1299 CO FLIGHTS 1400-1899 CO FLIGHTS 2000-3169
CO FLIGHTS 3200-3499 CO FLIGHTS 4900-4949 CO FLIGHTS 5500-5999
CO FLIGHTS 9105-9119 CO FLIGHTS 9120-9310 CO FLIGHTS 9356-9400 CO FLIGHTS
9491-9584 E. NOTE - FOR FARES TICKETED ON OR BEFORE 21APR08 SDC
FEE IS 25.00 USD. FOR FARES TICKETED ON OR BETWEEN 22APR08 AND 16JUN08
SDC FEE IS 50.00 USD. . 3. TO CONFIRM A SEAT ON A FLIGHT OUTSIDE OF
THE 12 HOUR CONFIRMED SEAT PERIOD THE RULES OUTLINED IN THE PENALTY
SECTION WILL APPLY . 4. CUSTOMERS STANDING BY FOR CO FLIGHTS OPERATED
BY A PARTNER MAY BE ASSESSED A FEE.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
What sucks about this is places with on 2x daily service....if you get there in time to take the earlier flight but can't without paying it means your checked bags go out of sterile.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
They should definitely make this free for Golds and Platinums like DL does.

After flying CO exclusively for over a year, I've decided to give DL a try in July. Their cheapest DCA-NYC fare is $75 less than CO. As I fly every week, this really adds up. I may get a status match and switch permanently.

Last edited by vatraveler; Jun 22, 2008 at 9:52 am
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Wow, CO lumping Silver elites with non-elites is actually quite telling about how they feel about us in general.

No prereserving exit rows, no upgrades, and now $50 to standby.

CO Silver is quite possibly the worst elite-status around.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...[*]Ability to handle via Online Check-in. Starting June 24th, the ability to request same-day flight changes will be available when checking in at continental.com....
Can anyone verify that this functionality is now live?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Wow, CO lumping Silver elites with non-elites is actually quite telling about how they feel about us in general.

No prereserving exit rows, no upgrades, and now $50 to standby.

CO Silver is quite possibly the worst elite-status around.
It does get you the Elite line at EWR TSA <ROTFLMAO>.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I didn't see it this AM (6:30 CDT) on check in. Note: I had selected Auto Checkin on the outbound on Tuesday.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:09 pm

...[*]Ability to handle via Online Check-in. Starting June 24th, the ability to request same-day flight changes will be available when checking in at continental.com....

I was flying from Paris to SFO via EWR on June 24. There was no option to request changes for the connection from EWR to SFO with online check-in, nor for the whole trip. At the transfer desk in EWR they told me about the usual 50 dollars fee for stand-by.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:28 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I wish there was some sort of exception or red-eye flights that are scheduled to leave ~15 minutes before midnight. It bites me on Friday when I'm scheduled RNO-IAH-DFW on the 11:37 AM flight. Well there are only two flights a day out of RNO on CO; a late morning and an 11:55 PM red-eye. What that means is that I cannot fly same-day confirmed on the earlier red-eye that allows me to get to my destination the same day, just a little early because it is not the "same-day" by five minutes. I know rules are rules, but that sucks.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:48 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
I wish there was some sort of exception or red-eye flights that are scheduled to leave ~15 minutes before midnight. It bites me on Friday when I'm scheduled RNO-IAH-DFW on the 11:37 AM flight. Well there are only two flights a day out of RNO on CO; a late morning and an 11:55 PM red-eye. What that means is that I cannot fly same-day confirmed on the earlier red-eye that allows me to get to my destination the same day, just a little early because it is not the "same-day" by five minutes. I know rules are rules, but that sucks.
I'd have sympathy for you if this were the other way around -- you were scheduled to fly at 9pm and wanted to stand by for a flight at 12:05am, but couldn't because this isn't "same-day". But as it is, if the redeye flight was at 12:05am rather than 11:55pm and you could do the standby you're talking about, you'd be squeaking by on a technicality IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.