Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Same Day Stand-By

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
When did this change take place?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xyzzy
When did this change take place?
I do not believe that it actually did. The only thing on co.com that I can find is this, and though it is dated April 2006 it has the updated $50 number in it rather than the $25 that was initially used. Included in that page's FAQ is this tidbit:
6. How does this affect Continental's current airport standby policy?
There are no changes to our airport standby policy. The new option is only available at the kiosk, with an agent or by contacting Continental Reservations by phone. Airport standby travel cannot be arranged by calling Continental Reservations.
I think that someone has the policies very confused.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sbm12
I think that someone has the policies very confused.
I think so too. I think some fares do not allow standby travel. I've never looked into the details of that, though.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 9, 2008 at 10:12 am Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Agree - no announced change in standby at the gate for no fee.

But the issue is - if you want to check a bag - you are at the counter and the counter agent can not change the flight (without the fee).

A gate agent can, but that assumes you are not checking bags. So if you have bags to check - you need to pay the fee at the counter to confirm that you are on that new flight and your bag goes with you. No bags, you standby at the gate.

BTW, when the change was announced for the $25 to $50 change fee, CO Insider indicated there would be another yet to be announced enhancement once the software was updated. This software update has not yet been announced.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've got a similar situation coming up next week.

Currently, I'm booked to fly the red-eye LAX-CLE on Tuesday night, connecting to CLE-MHT on the first flight Weds AM. It's possible that my meeting in LA may get done super early, such that I can catch either the 7AM or 3PM LAX-CLE flight. If I make the early LAX-CLE, there is also a CLE-MHT I could take on Tuesday evening. If I get there in time for the 3pm LAX-CLE, I would stay with friends in CLE before continuing onto MHT as regularly scheduled the next morning. Either way, my primary objective is to avoid the red-eye. In case it matters, I'm on a O/W ticket in V class, with Silver Elite status on NW.

My question -- will they allow me to standby for either of the two earlier flights to CLE? Does the connecting flight to MHT, which happens to be the next day, cause a problem? What should I expect?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:50 pm

Free Same Day Standby is going away.

Effective next week it's going to be $50 ($25 for Elites) to standby for an earlier flight.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CALGal727
Effective next week it's going to be $50 ($25 for Elites) to standby for an earlier flight.
Are you referring to the same-day CONFIRMED stand-by? Or stand-by at the gate?

Is this published somewhere?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: CO NonRev Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by hobo13
Are you referring to the same-day CONFIRMED stand-by? Or stand-by at the gate?

Is this published somewhere?
CALGAL is referring to standby at the gate and no it has not been officially announced yet. Also to clarify it's $25 for Gold and Platinum elites.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:39 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
I really don't understand the airlines refusing any flexibility in the case of illness. Do they really want people to fly while seriously ill (god forbid with something serious and contagious)? Yet the way they've got things set up they are actively insisting people do so.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by Madack
CALGAL is referring to standby at the gate and no it has not been officially announced yet. Also to clarify it's $25 for Gold and Platinum elites.
Ugh!!
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Madack
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

This change stinks - especially if it is happening next week and this is the first that it has been mentioned. I do remember that it was mentioned that the $25 same-day was going up to $50, but to hear that the free "normal" standby is going away really sucks.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
What about the situation when the counter agents want to put you on the earlier flight - since the flight you are on will likely be late and cause misconnects? Will they have to charge you the fee?

This is the situation at DCA on flights to EWR for connections to Europe. Since the afternoon are frequently delayed, the agents put you on the next available flight when you check in.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by cova
What about the situation when the counter agents want to put you on the earlier flight - since the flight you are on will likely be late and cause misconnects? Will they have to charge you the fee?
Or what about if your flight is oversold? Why would CO not want you on the earlier flight?

Honestly, this seems like a dumb move. One of the reasons that legacies are able to overbook so much is that they assume a certain number of pax will show up and standby for an earlier flight, thus preventing them from having to IDB/VDB. If they charge for standby, I can only assume that fewer pax will do it . This leaves CO with choosing between overselling less or IDB/VDB-ing more.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:52 am
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by CALGal727
Wow this is going to really stink. Anyone know if they will plan to charge you only if you clear standby, or just to get on the list?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Or what about if your flight is oversold? Why would CO not want you on the earlier flight?
Of course agents will not charge you if you are moved for operational reasons or in the case where you may miss a connection due to irregular operations. Word is that you're credit card will be taken when you go on the standby list and only charged when you are cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.