Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Same Day Stand-By

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Flying Same Day Stand-By

Long-time lurker, first-time poster....

As I type, I am in the terminal at SEA airport. I have a return flight on CO from SEA to IAH booked for 5:35 pm. I had some time, and there was some space on an earlier flight that left at 12:35 pm. So, I came to the airport and tried to make the 12:35 flight.

In the past, I have had the option of paying $50 for a guaranteed seat on an earlier same-day flight, or of putting my name on a standby list. I have successfully gotten earlier flights many times by putting my name on a standby list.

Today, I asked to fly standby on the 12:35 pm flight. The gate agent told me that I would have to pay $50 to get on the list. She told me that since there were open seats on the flight, they were not letting anyone fly standby, but that I could pay to take that flight. I chose not to pay the fee, and am currently awaiting my scheduled departure.

Does anyone know: is this a change in CO policy? Can we no longer get on a standby list for an earlier flight on the same day to the same destination at no extra charge?

Is our only option to take an earlier same-day flight now to pay the $50 fee?

Thanks to all in advance....
Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Sadly, the agent was wrong. You can still be put on a standby list for no fee. That they let the plane go out with empty seats and didn't clear you on to it is a shame and is not what should have happened. If at all possible while you are still there, get the name of the GA so the specifics can be reported accurately to the Customer Care group. Try calling 800-we-care-2 and see if they actually pretend to care about the situation. If they don't, send a PM here on FlyerTalk to CO Insider with the details and that should get the attention it deserves.

S.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
sbm12 is, as usual, correct.

I hate when I'm told this or other things I know to be wrong.

The one that always bugs the crap out of me is this one:
"Hi, can you add my wife to the upgrade list please?"
"This flight is checked in full in first, she's never going to get it."
"Can you just humor me and do it please?"
"Okay, but you really have no shot."

We're 50/50 on the year when told that so far.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:29 am

The exact same thing happened to me in SFO last month and I called reservations from the ticket counter and handed the gate agent my cell phone to talk with the phone agent that had a clue, who then reluctantly put me on the standby list. I called 800 WE CARE but apparently a memo hasn't gone out to make sure everyone knows the policy. It's annoying that gate agents, who work for CO full time, know less about the policies than the passengers. It would be nice if CO could make sure everyone is on the same page here.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I appreciate the suggestions and input.

When I got to IAH last night, my bag was not on the baggage claim carousel. I checked with CO Baggage Service, and they found my bag. It had come in on the earlier flight for which I was refused stand-by. So, my bag was at IAH while I was still in SEA.

Thanks for all the input! Hopefully, this will be a learning experience for a gate agent at SEA.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: United MilePlus
i think you got bad info

the same thing happened to me. GA insisted I pay the SB fee to be put on the list but I knew there were plenty of seats so I wouldn't ante up. GA wouldn't put me on the list. So I thanked her for her time and went into the PC and asked an agent there. Agent was incredulous that the GA wouldn't comply and gave me a BP. Imagine the GA's surprise when I wandered up to board just before closing. "Oh - you got on" she says. I just smiled and said -"yeah - lucky me!" Lesson learned right here on FT. thanks everyone
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by FlyingfromIAH
When I got to IAH last night, my bag was not on the baggage claim carousel. I checked with CO Baggage Service, and they found my bag. It had come in on the earlier flight for which I was refused stand-by.
That's just cold.

Originally Posted by Ghilliegal
the same thing happened to me. GA insisted I pay the SB fee to be put on the list but I knew there were plenty of seats so I wouldn't ante up. GA wouldn't put me on the list. So I thanked her for her time and went into the PC and asked an agent there. Agent was incredulous that the GA wouldn't comply and gave me a BP. Imagine the GA's surprise when I wandered up to board just before closing. "Oh - you got on" she says. I just smiled and said -"yeah - lucky me!" Lesson learned right here on FT. thanks everyone
The in-person analog to hanging up and dialing again.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by texd
The in-person analog to hanging up and dialing again.
That's a great analogy. Sadly it appears that we have had to do that almost everytime we have a problem at EWR. Night and day difference in treatment from the check in agents compared to the PC agents.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by texd
sbm12 is, as usual, correct.

I hate when I'm told this or other things I know to be wrong.

The one that always bugs the crap out of me is this one:
"Hi, can you add my wife to the upgrade list please?"
"This flight is checked in full in first, she's never going to get it."
"Can you just humor me and do it please?"
"Okay, but you really have no shot."

We're 50/50 on the year when told that so far.
I think some GAs are told to memorize that phrase (FC is full)! The best is when you have already been upgraded and you don't know it yet. You ask them to look you up as an upgradee and they look at you like you have two heads. It has happened more times than I wish to count!
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by flying for gold elite
I think some GAs are told to memorize that phrase (FC is full)! The best is when you have already been upgraded and you don't know it yet. You ask them to look you up as an upgradee and they look at you like you have two heads. It has happened more times than I wish to count!
This is why I love the PDA part of CO.s website.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Sadly, the agent was wrong. You can still be put on a standby list for no fee. That they let the plane go out with empty seats and didn't clear you on to it is a shame and is not what should have happened. If at all possible while you are still there, get the name of the GA so the specifics can be reported accurately to the Customer Care group. Try calling 800-we-care-2 and see if they actually pretend to care about the situation. If they don't, send a PM here on FlyerTalk to CO Insider with the details and that should get the attention it deserves.

S.
is the above true if you have an award ticket using NWA miles?

Also, I searched continental.com and could not find anything about their standby policy. Any links?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:18 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I never understand CO policy on stand-by. Yesterday I flew LAS-DTW through CLE. I developed a kidney stone while on the 1st flight and was sick and in agony when I reached CLE. I had a 2 hour layover and was ready to drop. I asked if I could stand-by for a flight in the morning (they fly the little planes back and forth between CLE-DTW several times a day and I have never flown one that was full) and then spend the night at the airport hotel (on my own dime.)

You'd think I was asking for the moon. Customer Service told me I had to buy a whole new ticket since my fare didn't allow any stop-overs. I was shocked that they'd allow a passenger who was that ill even board a plane, but there just aren't any allowances.

I did get home on the original flight and was very grateful to have access to the PC for the 2 hours I waited as I was terribly sick. In fact, I normally dislike the CLE PC but this time I was grateful to have a bathroom so close to a semi-comfortable chair.

It's not a good/bad thing and I'm not saying CO is bad, but a few weeks ago I spoke to someone at the Elite desk who told me that CO "goes out of their way to please and help Platinum Elite members." Well, I disagree on that one. There's no way to predict something like a kidney stone, and if the 2nd flight had been longer than an hour I doubt I would've taken the chance. But really, who would it hurt to allow me to stand by for a flight the next morning? Or even better, they could've just allowed me to re-book for the next afternoon. But rules are rules, whether they help or hurt.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I never understand CO policy on stand-by. Yesterday I flew LAS-DTW through CLE. I developed a kidney stone while on the 1st flight and was sick and in agony when I reached CLE. I had a 2 hour layover and was ready to drop. I asked if I could stand-by for a flight in the morning (they fly the little planes back and forth between CLE-DTW several times a day and I have never flown one that was full) and then spend the night at the airport hotel (on my own dime.)

You'd think I was asking for the moon. Customer Service told me I had to buy a whole new ticket since my fare didn't allow any stop-overs. I was shocked that they'd allow a passenger who was that ill even board a plane, but there just aren't any allowances.

I did get home on the original flight and was very grateful to have access to the PC for the 2 hours I waited as I was terribly sick. In fact, I normally dislike the CLE PC but this time I was grateful to have a bathroom so close to a semi-comfortable chair.

It's not a good/bad thing and I'm not saying CO is bad, but a few weeks ago I spoke to someone at the Elite desk who told me that CO "goes out of their way to please and help Platinum Elite members." Well, I disagree on that one. There's no way to predict something like a kidney stone, and if the 2nd flight had been longer than an hour I doubt I would've taken the chance. But really, who would it hurt to allow me to stand by for a flight the next morning? Or even better, they could've just allowed me to re-book for the next afternoon. But rules are rules, whether they help or hurt.

I had the exact same situation about 4 years ago once I arrived to IAH and the explained the situation to the gate agent for the connecting fligth, and she quickly made some changes to my ticket to allow me to fly the next day. She said hope you feel better, etc. It was a cheap ticket.

I am very surprised that CO did not help you out. Did you talk to the agents in the club lounge?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Yes- the PC agents were the 1st I spoke to and they said there was just no way. The lady even acted a bit annoyed that I had asked. So I went to the Guest Services center and the lady I spoke to phoned someone and when she explained my situation, she said "I have a customer who says she isn't feeling well.."

Well, IMO, not feeling well is NOT the same as having a kidney stone. I was REALLY sick. I am one of those unfortunate people who has multiple stones in each kidney, though when they are just sitting there, they don't hurt or make me sick. It's when one starts to move that makes you want to die.

At least I am safe and sound and it was a short flight home, but really, I hope it never happens again while traveling.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Update:

I received a response from CO Customer Service. There has been a change in policy, and certain fare classes cannot fly stand-by on an earlier flight on the same day without paying a fee. I was flying on an N fare that day, so I was ineligible. Here is the text of the note:

Dear xxxx:

Thank you for contacting Continental Airlines with regards to
confirmation number xxxx. I apologize for the delay in receiving a response to your e-mail.

After reviewing our internal records it appears that the ticket you
purchased had restrictions set in place by our new Same Day Change and
Stand-by Policy. The ticket you purchased did not allow for stand-by on
the return and only for confirmed travel, which is why the airport agent
was going to charge you to make those changes. If you would like to
review the recent changes to our Same Day Change and Stand-by Policy you
may refer to our Web site www.continental.com.

I have added your comments to our monthly Customer Service Report (case
ID number xxxxx) that is shared with our Airport Management team to
ensure that your concerns do not go unnoticed.

xxxx you are a valued Silver Elite member and, again I regret the
negative impression this may have left with you. We appreciate your
e-mail and hope to see you on a future Continental Airlines flight.

Regards,

xxxxx
Customer Care Manager

Such is life in the new world of air travel.

I cannot find the policy on CO.com, however. Perhaps such policies will be easier to find on the new site when it is rolled out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.