Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Same Day Stand-By

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

What's your point??

Originally Posted by Bonehead
All booking classes are opened up 12 hours before your target flight. Did you call > 12 hours out?
You know more than most people here and more than any of the CO personell I have interacted with

ETA: Looks like you were trying for "prior-day standby" instead of "same-day standby":
My flight was at 8:30 AM, tried to change it to a flight that was 11 hrs and 50 minutes earlier... Shouldn't that work?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tommy777
What's your point??
Silvers are "Elite", but it's $50 for them...

You know more than most people here and more than any of the CO personell I have interacted with
That's because I've had trouble with this policy, and have tried to learn exactly what it allows and doesn't allow...

My flight was at 8:30 AM, tried to change it to a flight that was 11 hrs and 50 minutes earlier... Shouldn't that work?
Actually, yes, according to this:

Can I change my flight to the day before or the day after?
Yes, but only when you make the change within 24 hours before your original scheduled departure, and your new itinerary departs within 12 hours of the request.
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...romoCode=A1631

When did you call and try to change the flight?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Actually, yes, according to this:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...romoCode=A1631

When did you call and try to change the flight?
Thanks for your help.

The last time I called was around 5PM, so 3 hrs and 40 minutes before the flight I wanted to get on
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ETA: Looks like you were trying for "prior-day standby" instead of "same-day standby":
It is the same policy now. It should be called 24-hour standby or something like that, because that's how it works.

And I forgot about the T-12 from new departure time part of the change; that explains why I didn't have any options at my check-in Wednesday night.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Thanks for your help.

The last time I called was around 5PM, so 3 hrs and 40 minutes before the flight I wanted to get on
Unless the flight that you wanted was zeroed out (sold out), they should have honored your request, as far as I can see.

I hope that CO Insider chimes in here, although I haven't seen him much since several posters used gutter-level language in expressing their opposition to the recently announced OnePass changes.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OK - got it to work. CO released inventory to all classes about 6 hrs or so before flight time. Called reservations, getting the Elite desk on the first try!

Very nice agent, knew exactly what to do and what to charge me. I was switched and checking in to get back on the upgrade list in about 2 minutes.

$25 to save 2 hours (although my 'bodyclock' will arrive there at 230am instead of a brain-busting 430am) and I'll get a free sushi dinner to cover the effort.

So it works - but again, there needs to be far more specific detail posted on co.com.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:20 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by shell nyc
The fare class requirement is something that definitely needs to be clarified in writing (Scott!!?!?!?) If it's true that the original fare class must be available in order for the $25/$50 SDC fee to apply without a fare difference calculation, then the new policy is absolutely ridiculous and a big from frequent fliers and business travelers who are just trying to get home..........................
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I spoke with two Elite Desk reps tonight trying to do a SDC swap on my flights tomorrow. Both reps stated that the original booking class must be available to do a SDC swap.

All fine and good, except that very, very important distinction is missing from all of CO's press releases and online descriptions of the service - or is buried somewhere.

I think this rule should be very prominently displayed on the online info page, even bolded for extra emphasis. Had I known the same fare class needed to be available, I could have checked that ahead of time and not wasted the phone calls.

I'm pretty certain that in most cases, within 24 hours of departure, having the same fare class (especially sub-V) available is right around 5%.
Unless the flight that you wanted was zeroed out (sold out), they should have honored your request, as far as I can see.

I hope that CO Insider chimes in here, although I haven't seen him much since several posters used gutter-level language in expressing their opposition to the recently announced OnePass changes.
Hi Everyone, when it comes to the availability for same-day confirmed changes within 12 hours of departure, it's a question of whether the flight is available (i.e. booked below capacity) rather than fare class. In simplest terms, we'll always offer the confirmed option within 12 hours of departure when the main cabin is booked below actual capacity. In these cases, we'll open up all main cabin fare classes at the 12-hour mark, enabling confirmed same-day changes regardless of fare class. On the other hand, when the main cabin is booked at or above capacity, the flight will be unavailable in most or all main cabin fare classes.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't think the fee needs to go - I think CO needs to ensure ALL PERTINENT details of the program are stated clearly, concisely and in plain english on co.com, along with example scenarios (want to standby but fare class is not available, want to standby but no seats are currently available, want to standby and seats and fare class are available) so someone can easily and clearly understand what to expect based the three possible scenarios.

As to the agents - every station should conduct an all-hands classroom session to ensure every single agent is aware of the policy, understands its pertinent features/rules and knows how to handle requests according to different elite levels (or no elite status) and the different availability scenarios. The same goes for every call center.
We agree with you, bocastephen, and we'll be updating continental.com to this effect. As with any complex policy change, getting the word out and delivering on it consistently is a challenge during the initial rollout. Thanks for bearing with us.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CO Insider
...In these cases, we'll open up all main cabin fare classes at the 12-hour mark, enabling confirmed same-day changes regardless of fare class. On the other hand, when the main cabin is booked at or above capacity, the flight will be unavailable in most or all main cabin fare classes. ...
Thanks Scott!

This makes perfect sense - I agree the details of such an arrangement are hard to convey to the average customer, even though it makes sense to us here. Of course, not having access to the PBT makes it hard to gauge whether the flight will open up or not, but at least now I understand the policy and know how to interpret the seat availability data I can see.

The trick will be getting the staff to understand the distinction between 'SDC is not available except for full fare customers due to current flight booking load' and 'SDC is not available to you because your fare class is sold out'.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:23 pm

I gather from the info here that it is possible to SDC just the first leg from a morning (10am) flight to a evening (5pm) flight the day prior while keeping the original second leg. Is my understanding correct?
Basically, I would like to increase my connection time
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:55 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
No good news

Hello,

I don't like to contradict CO Insider on anything (since he does a great job here), but I did email Customer Care on the standby issue I had posted earlier in the thread regarding ticket issue date as a factor in whether the old or new policy applied. Old policy being related to the free standby at the airport for an earlier flight.

I won't post the actual response unless someone official needs to see it, but it stated rather clearly that the issue date is not a factor for the new $50 standby policy and there is no free standby at all, and the new policy applies to all tickets (old purchased and new purchased). I got the reply in exactly six days from when I emailed it.

Disappointed, but it seems clear here that everyone has had to pay (either $25 or $50).

Thanks,
Rasheed
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
Hello,

I don't like to contradict CO Insider on anything (since he does a great job here), but I did email Customer Care on the standby issue I had posted earlier in the thread regarding ticket issue date as a factor in whether the old or new policy applied. Old policy being related to the free standby at the airport for an earlier flight.

I won't post the actual response unless someone official needs to see it, but it stated rather clearly that the issue date is not a factor for the new $50 standby policy and there is no free standby at all, and the new policy applies to all tickets (old purchased and new purchased). I got the reply in exactly six days from when I emailed it.

Disappointed, but it seems clear here that everyone has had to pay (either $25 or $50).

Thanks,
Rasheed
I suggest forwarding the email to [email protected] (the CO Insider "generic" email) or sending him a PM to get it cleared up.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:09 am

Can't wait for CO.com to update the rule to make it more clear.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0
I gather from the info here that it is possible to SDC just the first leg from a morning (10am) flight to a evening (5pm) flight the day prior while keeping the original second leg. Is my understanding correct?
Anyone try the above?
Please kindly let me know.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by neuro0
And I have a related question. On multi-segment itineraries, taking an earlier first segment flight will not arrive earlier at final destination unless one also takes earlier flights on subsequent segments. In this scenario, will multiple SDC fees apply, or just one SDC per trip/leg?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:49 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
I've just discovered another issue with the same-day standby.

The first time I did this, I switched flights prior to checking in for my original flight (while doing OLCI, in fact). I was added to the 1st class standby list automatically, everything worked great.

The next time, I changed flights after checking in for my original one (also online, I simply checked in again and was offered the option to switch flights, and took it). This time, I wasn't automatically added to the first-class standby list. A call to the elite line didn't help, either. I had to get the GA to add me manually. I got the upgrade in the end, so no harm done in this case, but this could easily lead to you missing out on upgrades which you are entitled to according to the rules.

I think the difference may have to do with having checked in for the original flight first, but of course I'm not sure. If this is some kind of systematic glitch, would be good to correct it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.