Reload this Page >

Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Introducing FT's Team Missy and Opus

"Perceptions ... whatever!!" @:-)

Missy and opushomes wish to introduce you to our joint entry for the honor of representing FT on this great race.

So we guess that the previous posters will have to look a little further. We would have beat them in announcing our intentions but one of our members is stuck on the beach at the Cebu Hilton on the way home from SinDo2009. Why waste a trip to Asia to just fly home??.

We bring a mix of level headed-ness and my passive/aggressive style coupled with humor, non-verbal communication and an ability to fit in as if we live where we visit. ^^

FT member references available upon request.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This opportunity is SO enticing!

I've / I'm / I...
  1. Been to Europe many times and know my way around.
  2. Know how A/V systems work and have done plenty of video photography and editing.
  3. Work in IT -- so I can deal with computer & other techno-problems
  4. LOVE to travel
  5. Play well with others
  6. Know how to pack light!
  7. Am very good with maps
  8. Have an excellent sense of direction
  9. Know Spanish and limited German
  10. A good problem solver
  11. ... would love to tell my boss of my next crazy vacation adventure!

While I'm happy to go with anyone, I think Palal and I would do great together!

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jan 28, 2009 at 8:55 am
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:54 pm

Thumbs up Competitours contest winners ??!!

Randy,
Have I got the team for you! We are a mother-daughter team, born and raised with a spirit of adventure and competition! Mother--JASteinberg-- is an inveterate traveler, along with being an active, disciplined and conscientious individual. She travels at least monthly, plays daily tennis, bikes, golfs, swims, scuba dives and skiis!
The daughter, (yours truly) Highflyer100, likes the same activities as Mom but prefers yoga and tai chi 'cause Mom does the other stuff better. I logged over 30,000 travel miles this year alone. My nearest and dearest say that I can't sit for a minute, and on each of my trips, I research, and analyze the locale de jour to find the most interesting and spectacular spots. I love locals as well, and am not shy. We WILL get any scoop needed. Also, for close to 30 years, I have traveled to such primitive locations such as Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite, Kauai, and Los Cabos without so much as venturing into a restaurant! Ahh, livin la vida loca! This means, that we don't waste time eating or getting sloshed!
My Mom and I are both nurses, and I am a certified travel health nurse practitioner and owner of "asafetraveler.com". With our medical backgrounds, we should be able to stay away from any potential "revenge", which could hamper our sure win!
Also, for your PR~ we are a grandmother--GREAT-grandmother team (just not the rockin' chair type). How exciting for members of Flyertalk to root for an intra-generational team of older chicks! How many moms and daughters can stay together for a week without issues? Ah, now that could be fun to watch too!
We want to win this race for you, Randy!
Thanks for this opportunity. We would LOVE to be your chosen duo.
~Highflyer100
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
Randy,

I'd like to be considered for your team. I'm a PhD student in European History at Berkeley, and have lived in London, Madrid, Stockholm, Denmark, and a bit of time in Paris. I have traveled through much of Europe, speak Spanish, understand French, and have an excellent sense of navigation. I am very quick-thinking, resourceful, and easy to travel with. Also, since I've been a student for all of my life but 1 year, I'm used to that light and fast style of travel this competition demands. I had wanted to do this trip with my good friend (another PhD student and CO Gold), but he never signed up for Flyertalk. Hence, I have only myself to submit.

Last edited by jtsaltman82; Jan 28, 2009 at 4:01 pm
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:02 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

You are all making this really hard to make a decision from. There obviously are the best travelers here for me to choose from and I'm thinking I'd be foolish to enter this myself as I can see I may easily be out-traveled. Great input and please keep it coming as I will start narrowing the applicants down early next week and my entry clock keeps ticking along.

Again, thank you all and go Team FlyerTalk.

Cheers,
Randy
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
You are all making this really hard to make a decision from. There obviously are the best travelers here for me to choose from and I'm thinking I'd be foolish to enter this myself as I can see I may easily be out-traveled. Great input and please keep it coming as I will start narrowing the applicants down early next week and my entry clock keeps ticking along.

Again, thank you all and go Team FlyerTalk.

Cheers,
Randy
Do you have specific questions for us?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA 2P, US Silver, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat RA, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Pick me! Or team up with me on AR!

What an amazing opportunity! I figured I'd introduce myself and see if I might be a good fit. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but where can you find a better team for something like the Amazing Race than on FT?! Even if I'm not the best option for this particular race, I do want to propose to any other FTer who's ever been interested in the Amazing Race: Please PM me if you'd like to team up for the show. I really don't have family or friends that could or would be able to do it. AR 15 is casting now!

I have to admit that I don't have that much experience in Europe, but I believe I would be able to contribute a fair share just due to my experiences.

Availability:
I work on a contract basis, and have recently finished a contract. Right now I am a free agent, which enables me to travel whereever I want, whenever I want. I just arrived in Costa Rica yesterday on a one-way ticket...I can leave or stay.

Travel Skills:
I have worked in jobs that require 100% travel since I entered the work force in 2006(I realize that is not a long time, but being on the road 100% of the time gives you some incredible experiences). I have always traveled for fun/language immersion/volunteer opportunities/cultural experiences at every opportunity, including during school breaks, work vacations, and when I'm between work contracts.

PLACES I HAVE LIVED: China, Guatemala, Hong Kong, United States, (Costa Rica may be added to the list depending on what goes on in the next few months)

PLACES I HAVE TRAVELED: Belgium, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Egypt, France, Germany, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Ireland (Republic of), Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Panama, Puerto Rico, Russia, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States

One important piece of info, while I may not have traveled to a ridiculous amount of countries, I can say this: my style of traveling is to get to REALLY know a place. I have seen EVERY province/SAR of China with the exception of Tibet and Inner Mongolia(This in itself should count as several countries!). I have seen EVERY province of Japan with the exception of Okinawa. I have seen EVERY US State except 7(sorry New England states, but I've been DYING to visit! Feel free to invite me over. Same goes for Alaska and Hawaii). If you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere in the US, I've probably been there!

My style of traveling varies from roughing it to ultra luxurious. I have couchsurfed, and I've stayed at luxury resorts(using my points most of the time). I can always get anything done, no matter what country I'm in. I'm GREAT at reading maps!

Language Skills:
I am a fluent speaker of Mandarin Chinese(may not be particularly helpful in Europe, but nice to know the most spoken language in the worl)

I am a fluent speaker of English

I am an intermediate-level speaker of Spanish

I am a fluent speaker of Cantonese

I can get by with my Japanese

Willing to learn another language if someone is willing to teach me!

I can probably communicate with 50+% of the world with my language skills ^

Other Skills:
Experience on camera! Due to the nature of my occupation I have been on many television news programs. I am not camera-shy and would probably be entertaining to watch.

I can travel/work with anyone for 24/7. Again, nature of my occupation...

I'm pretty physically active, can handle most physical tasks!

I love eating and will eat anything without being disgusted with only one exception: see below

I and have absolutely no fear of anything except for bugs. I CANNOT and WILL NOT ever eat live bugs!

I think I'm a pretty nice 26-year old girl who's always up for some adventure! A true road-warrior where travel runs through my veins! Ever woke up one day and decided to fly to Ireland, rent a car, and just drive all over the country? Ever woke up one day and decided to buy a one-way ticket to a random country with the possibility of not leaving(visa permitting)?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: No travel, no cards. :(
I think this might make me watch the show.

I'm not a good traveler, I don't play well with others, I'm not the person you'd want for this team, but I'll happily be a cheerleader for this from my living room sofa!

Go Team FlyerTalk (whoever they may be)

Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:26 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by callie-girl
I don't play well with others, I'm not the person you'd want for this team,
So you on the team would turn it into a typical Gordan Ramsey show? Sounds like great television!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
There is clearly a lot of interest, but I'll throw my hat in the ring. Randy, you asked for the savviest traveler to display their travel skills.

To be a savvy traveler, most of the previous respondents have interpreted that to be experienced. While I won't claim to be the most experienced (though hardly the least), I will outline below the attributes that I believe I can leverage to be considered savvy.

I will say that I have learned a tremendous amount from my fellow FTers and would hardly claim to be the expert on all matters relating to specific locations or exact travel company rules, though I do have a strong understanding of how booking systems work (years ago I was trained to be a phone agent on DL and have since flown over 1MM miles, mostly on UA). I was also a management consultant so have a good sense of how hotels, car rental agencies, and other travel companies operate as well. I have also lived and worked in North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia.

I have traveled to enough countries to have not fear but excitement at the challenge of figuring out how to get from point A to point B, efficiently and cost effectively. I consider myself very frugal and have forced myself to use cheaper travel options but have also enjoyed traveling in style when on an expense account.

I am not too proud or intimidated to ask for directions or help in foreign languages and feel that I have the instincts and street smarts to get myself out of any travel issues that might present itself.

I have friends from around the world and enjoy studying other cultures. The diversity is what makes travel great and understanding of different cultures helps me function better in foreign locales.

Physically, I am not too big to fit in some transportation and not too small to be overlooked. I can fly and have flown in a middle seat on numerous TPAC flights. And, I maintain a high level of fitness which helps with jet lag and endurance.

Should I be so lucky to be chosen for further consideration, I would be happy to expand in any of these areas. I have a feeling whoever is chosen from FT will dominate over the competition, I just hope to have the opportunity to represent the community.

Oh, and I am available in March!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:51 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by opushomes
"Perceptions ... whatever!!" @:-)

Missy and opushomes wish to introduce you to our joint entry for the honor of representing FT on this great race.

We bring a mix of level headed-ness and my passive/aggressive style coupled with humor, non-verbal communication and an ability to fit in as if we live where we visit. ^^

FT member references available upon request.

I'm packed... when do we leave?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
Originally Posted by callie-girl
I think this might make me watch the show.

I'm not a good traveler, I don't play well with others, I'm not the person you'd want for this team, but I'll happily be a cheerleader for this from my living room sofa!

Go Team FlyerTalk (whoever they may be)

I'm with you, callie-girl. My definition of roughing it is no room service.

Nevertheless, this looks to be highly entertaining and I, too, will be cheering on Team FlyerTalk.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by CK82
What an amazing opportunity! I figured I'd introduce myself and see if I might be a good fit. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but where can you find a better team for something like the Amazing Race than on FT?! Even if I'm not the best option for this particular race, I do want to propose to any other FTer who's ever been interested in the Amazing Race: Please PM me if you'd like to team up for the show. I really don't have family or friends that could or would be able to do it. AR 15 is casting now!

I have to admit that I don't have that much experience in Europe, but I believe I would be able to contribute a fair share just due to my experiences.

Availability:
I work on a contract basis, and have recently finished a contract. Right now I am a free agent, which enables me to travel whereever I want, whenever I want. I just arrived in Costa Rica yesterday on a one-way ticket...I can leave or stay.

Travel Skills:
I have worked in jobs that require 100% travel since I entered the work force in 2006(I realize that is not a long time, but being on the road 100% of the time gives you some incredible experiences). I have always traveled for fun/language immersion/volunteer opportunities/cultural experiences at every opportunity, including during school breaks, work vacations, and when I'm between work contracts.

PLACES I HAVE LIVED: China, Guatemala, Hong Kong, United States, (Costa Rica may be added to the list depending on what goes on in the next few months)

PLACES I HAVE TRAVELED: Belgium, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Egypt, France, Germany, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Ireland (Republic of), Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Panama, Puerto Rico, Russia, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States

One important piece of info, while I may not have traveled to a ridiculous amount of countries, I can say this: my style of traveling is to get to REALLY know a place. I have seen EVERY province/SAR of China with the exception of Tibet and Inner Mongolia(This in itself should count as several countries!). I have seen EVERY province of Japan with the exception of Okinawa. I have seen EVERY US State except 7(sorry New England states, but I've been DYING to visit! Feel free to invite me over. Same goes for Alaska and Hawaii). If you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere in the US, I've probably been there!

My style of traveling varies from roughing it to ultra luxurious. I have couchsurfed, and I've stayed at luxury resorts(using my points most of the time). I can always get anything done, no matter what country I'm in. I'm GREAT at reading maps!

Language Skills:
I am a fluent speaker of Mandarin Chinese(may not be particularly helpful in Europe, but nice to know the most spoken language in the worl)

I am a fluent speaker of English

I am an intermediate-level speaker of Spanish

I am a fluent speaker of Cantonese

I can get by with my Japanese

Willing to learn another language if someone is willing to teach me!

I can probably communicate with 50+% of the world with my language skills ^

Other Skills:
Experience on camera! Due to the nature of my occupation I have been on many television news programs. I am not camera-shy and would probably be entertaining to watch.

I can travel/work with anyone for 24/7. Again, nature of my occupation...

I'm pretty physically active, can handle most physical tasks!

I love eating and will eat anything without being disgusted with only one exception: see below

I and have absolutely no fear of anything except for bugs. I CANNOT and WILL NOT ever eat live bugs!

I think I'm a pretty nice 26-year old girl who's always up for some adventure! A true road-warrior where travel runs through my veins! Ever woke up one day and decided to fly to Ireland, rent a car, and just drive all over the country? Ever woke up one day and decided to buy a one-way ticket to a random country with the possibility of not leaving(visa permitting)?
Never mind the Amazing Race, how about a date?

As for March, I'll be in Croatia for flight training so no-go on that front. I'll definitely be watching the team that ends up going though!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Never mind the Amazing Race, how about a date?
+1^
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
There once was some lightning struck twice...

So Randy you want someone clever,
Pick a boring FlyerTalker you'd never,
OpenSkies you picked me,
And I'm still filled with glee!
But I'm ready to start this endeavor. (By the way, I'm still on the trip so my trip report is forthcoming, and may or may not be in limerick form)

4,000 plus posts I did type,
Lost my counsciouness caught in the hype,
How much time did I waste?
If no posts, there's disgrace!
Off my brow, perspiration was wiped.

I have dedication and chutzpah.
Are there words in the world rhymed with chutzpah?
I do so hate to lose,
I'm great following clues!
And I'm happy wherever God puts ya'. (There was something that rhymes! Almost...)

I'm a young FlyerTalker, two-six,
I run fast, I "throw 'bows" just for kicks,
You know I play to win,
To my mother's chagrin,
I will cheat and I'll steal and pull tricks. (Not really, it just fit the meter)

My job has more people than needed,
My days off I am easily ceded,
Time off I can get,
You know I'm your best bet,
I can race through Berlin unimpeded.

My greatest strength is adaptation;
Won't get lost at Geneva's train station.
Drop me off at a place,
All confusion erased.
Blindfolded I'll find our location.

I work really well on a team,
I'm the consummate partner supreme,
Don't really much care
To which partner I'm paired,
Cuz we'll win -- a well-oiled machine.

My camcorder skills sure aren't lacking,
I can write, I'll direct, I like acting.
You'll get quite a show
If you please let me go,
I vow I'll send other teams packing.

When it comes to these contest-type things,
I go at them full-force with no strings.
Pick me and you'll see
How glad Randy, you'll be,
When the trophy's in Colorado Springs.

GO TEAM FT!!!!

Chris

And P.S...after reading CK82's post...I'd happily volunteer to partner up, as others have written. 26-year-olds on FT must stick together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.