Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition

Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition

Old Feb 1, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AC*SE
Pick me because I'm different than everyone else here:

* I'm not especially good at travel as I can't really stand people in close, confined areas like in airplanes, airports, train stations and the like;

* My inclination is to be rather intoverted and shy but, when confronted, I will 'come out of my shell' and some raise hell, if necessary;

* I don't really like people (much rather spend time with a dog);

* I like to drink from time to time and that means wanting to stop for 'pit-stops' especially in the U.K. where the pub scene is particularily attractive;

* I don't have a lot of money and, therefore, need sponsorship, unlike all the people who've applied here, who seem to have lots of the stuff;

* Can't really take the time off work for something as dumb as a challenge like this but could probably avoid being fired over my participation, if necessary.

Advise
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by negotiator

* I'm not especially good at travel as I can't really stand people in close, confined areas like in airplanes, airports, train stations and the like;

* My inclination is to be rather introverted and shy but, when confronted, I will 'come out of my shell' and some raise hell, if necessary;

* I like to drink from time to time and that means wanting to stop for 'pit-stops' especially in the U.K. where the pub scene is particularily attractive;

* I don't have a lot of money and, therefore, need sponsorship, unlike all the people who've applied here, who seem to have lots of the stuff;

* Can't really take the time off work for something as dumb as a challenge like this but could probably avoid being fired over my participation, if necessary.

Advise
How creative!!!

I am draw~n to point four:

2000 pubs closed in U K last year....39 closing each week this year....6 per day ~

1.4 million fewer pints are being sold every day, a 10% drop

U.K. upped duty on beer last year 18% contributing to loss...

Still 55,000 pubs in U.K. but I fear a sense of urgency?

[Thank you Donna Friesen, NBC]

Great Deals to UK right now...some flights are pretty empty....even you could manage?

Fly now! Save a pub!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<-- I hope to make it over for one of the 6 Nations matches... just gotta figure out the right weekend. Finally a decent exchange rate for us Yanks...
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:45 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I'd love to join up.....I'm in Europe already, don't need to be financed for it, and have been travelling across Europe by all means from the age of 2 upwards (and still only 36!).
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Pick me, pick me ;)

OK, Now I've summed up things in the title let me write something that might be useful.

I have EU (Slovenian) passport so travel within EU is bit easier for me. (Besides English I can talk/understand Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian and few words in Italian and German I guess.) Since my biological family is in Europe and my company is UK based I might even get some ground support (if allowed by rules).

I fly close to 100k miles a year mostly in US but some trips to Europe as well.

I can travel light and will get me a backpack that is more suitable for this kind of travel vs. regular carry-on suitcase

I am pretty sure that I could get support from my company at least in terms of good will for such kind of race, perhaps even more.

Have blackberry for quick updates on the go as well as laptop for more extensive research.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
Some additional info....

Well, assuming I know how to travel, someone mentioned I also need a character... ahm... let's see... I used to have one while I've played D&D. I'm sure I was an elf... or was it AD&D?

Anyhow, I'm a Ph.D. in CS, been salsa instructor for several years throughout my studies (until studies have overrun me), salsa DJ, and actually was practically managing the team, and I even DJed a bit in the radio. I'm considered a funny teacher (I was TA for three years, and then a lecturer for 3 years) and a very good speaker (by colleagues, ex-students, and even ex-Salsa students).

I've done my share of weird stuff (most recently, driving with bicycle, throughout the Bastille square), and of course, suffers from the need to be the center of attention, which means I'll do anything short of illegal to get exposure for FT.

My g-f is an engineer (boring, ah?) who happens to be an ex-salsa instructor. We're good together, and even better when we act as a team. Being the better half, she'd probably beat me if it was a solo competition, but she's stuck with me

Besides that, it would be a week after a major project would end, so I guess I'll be in the mood for doing silly stuff, like actually flying from CDG to NYC, just to fly back to Europe.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Why Me?

I am sure everyone has great reasons why they should be picked...but here are mine...

-First off, I meet all the requirements (heck, I have a 1080p HD cam so I can do high def video)
-I'm a huge traveller, but not one of those "business travellers" - I am the mile runner. I make my status EVERY year by doing mile runs. These aren't the usual ones either. These are the back to back 1 hour on the ground trips to Hawaii where I travel for 2 days for no reason other than to fly.
-I've been to many European locations, including eastern and western.
-I'm turning 30 this May and need one last adventure before I feel too old

Ok, so there really isn't anything special in there. So what makes me unique? Is it my witty sense of humor? Nah, that can't be it. Is it my great problem solving abilities? Still no, although they are great! Is it my ability to work as a team to pull off miracles? Well, miracles are wonderful, but still not it. The real answer to "Why Me?" is...

Why not?

To quote one of my favorite movies..."THE END"

Last edited by gldwebs; Feb 1, 2009 at 5:23 pm Reason: Pinky prematurely hit the enter key.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Announcing My Candidacy!

Randy,

Thank you for this opportunity and for your consideration!

I'd like you to strongly consider me for several reasons:

1. I have traveled to every continent except for Antarctica.
2. I adapt easily to any culture and/or situation.
3. I speak English, Spanish, and Italian.
4. no need for you to help with with work time off/comp - I run my own business
5. I am in excellent physical condition (I workout regularly), yet I am mature enough at 39 years old to handle the mental aspects of the competition.
6. I already have all of the equipment required for the competition
7. I am very competitive, I hate to lose, but win or lose, I do it gracefully
8. I will wear the Flyer Talk logo on every piece of clothing I can get my hands on - I don't mind being a walking billboard!

Again, thank you for your consideration!

-Alex
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: Miles and More
Hello Randy heres the storyline why you should pick me. Before it even starts i like to thank you for giving this great opportunity to us all. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plot: Some room, possible a bar somewhere. The door opens and you step into the room, your eyes spot a wild waving person.

Thats the point where the story begins:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me [shouting and waving wild]: Hello Randy me me me pick me

Randy [Rolleyes and sits down]: Uhm why should i pick exactly you?

Me [full of entusiasm and acting like a child at the sweets in a supermarket]: Because..... I want it so so so much......

Randy [with a lil smile]: Ehm YES, almost everyone wants the same, BUT why is exactly you the one i should pick?

Me [still full of entusiasm]: Because i pay you a few drinks here?

Randy [takes the drink]: Nice! Drinks! But uhm yeah well drinks does NOT raise the chance, but thanks man i'll enjoy them for sure. Any other cause why i should pick you?

Me [still entusiastic]: Okay, gimme a second to think aboput that.

Randy [takes other drink]

Me [scraps head with tongue between teeth]

Randy [eyes me]

Me [entusiatic jumping of chair]: YEP!

Randy [rolleyes]: ??????

Me [entusiastic with counting fingers]: Okay. I've been all over Europe already. I Live in Europe (Germany). I work for an Airline, know Flight stuff and also Train stuff. Have friends (some from this Board) all over Europe. Can travel with very very light equipment. Have the entusiasm needed for the Job. Me is 34 but still on the search for the one big adventure of my live, not much time left, i get older. Me has the needed Equipment. Me has absolutely no Problem with presenting Flyertalk to the world, on outfits, bagage and with publishing the whole story included fotos. During Military time i learned to sleep everywhere and eat almost everything, sometimes also nothing (time depending maybe).

Randy[eyes like a frying pan]: Hm, yes thats a lot.....

Me[even more entusastic]: Stop stop stop, iam not ready now........ The guys from FT might even see me drunk (on Video) after we won the race (that might be funny) AND last but not least you can take me because I want it so REALLY REALLY much.

Randy [stands up as drinks is finshed]: Okay well thanks for the drinks and the info mate, have a nice eve.

Me [shocked]: But but but .... what about the team .......

Randy [smiles]: Oh that one, yes, yes i noticed your application, you will know in time what happens, again thanks for the drinks and a nice eve to you.

Me [a lil frustrated]: Mr. Waiter..... I have a lil order to do........

Yeah uhm well, in any case, hope all you people here enjoyed the lil story.

Who ever makes it into the the race, i wish YOU a tonns of fun and may YOU win the race in the name of Flyertalk.

Good Luck

Run

Last edited by Runabout; Feb 2, 2009 at 5:30 am
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: AA ExP, OW Emerald, B6 Mosaic; AA1MM;
The Dream Team: GEC #1 and GEC #2

We've arrived-- Your team-- Global Economic Crisis #1 (me) and Global Economic Crisis #2 (my husband). Universal forces collided last week and husband and wife were liberated by Corporate Gods.

Change is good and in a matter of nanoseconds, the road warriors who were together only 2 nights a week are now living together 24x7 with two cats, a small home, and the onset of full time job hunts. In between mileage accumulation withdrawal fits, we've been checking our FF balances, hotel statuses, and car rental tiers to figure out what's next and then I saw your request! The adventure continues.....

We're a bit well known and not just by our friends-- An alter ego has a blog, complete with regular video installments. I've graced the hallways of the Fortune 100 in a black suit and crisp button down and in free travel spent time in forgotten parts of the world. Hubby is a nationally known sailing journalist and I am a management psychologist. Our spirit and adventures are well documented....

Strengths:

GEC #1
WOO-- Winning others over-- Cabbie's frequently propose marriage(even when my husband is in the taxi) and before 9/11 managed to find my way, to the very front of the 777 15 times on BA (that's sitting with the Capt and FO not F!)
Arranger-- There isn't a non business flight I've taken without an upgrade in the last several years
Responsibility-- Everything is done with integrity (and intensity)
Maximizer-- I see the "best" in everything and figure out how to unleash it

GEC #2
Adaptability-- Can handle ANY situation. Have you ever lost your rudder 600 miles from land and made it to your destination?
Achiever-- Gets results
Woo-- Yes, he does it too
Ideation-- This guy is creative!

Others report that they live vicariously through us.... Best of all, our schedules are WIDE open! Possible plans include a RTW trip to do research on the impact of the GEC on expat execs, but hey, you all can probably figure out that it is all about status maintenance.

Interested? More information available! Just say the word.....
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I would like to nominate the mother son team of manneca and d'Herblay. With a total of more than 140 countries visited between them (unfortunately many are the same), these intrepid travelers have gotten into and out of more scrapes than one could imagine: Escape from a "guide" in the Medina in Tunsia, guiding members of a tour escaping from the guide in Shanghai through the subway system culminating in illegal entry (well, I didn't know it at the time) into a park in Shanghai, evading arrest for taking pictures in a market in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. Actually, Europe is a little dull for these gifted travelers.

d'Herblay is an accomplished improv actor with a wry sense of humor. He is also a vidoegrapher with miles and miles of underwater tape. Manneca is so old, she won't need to consult the history books for answers to clues; she lived through all that European history. Both have unaided navigated public transport systems on all continents except Antarctica. Manneca speaks Spanish (of course not everyone whose native language is Spanish can understand her, but she did negotiate a cab ride to the Lima, Peru airport at 10 percent of the going rate). d'Herblay as his name implies (the real last name of the third Musketeer who became a Jesuit) is fluent in Latin and manages to make himself understood in any language. For being a really old woman, Manneca is surprisingly fit: she is training for a triathlon at this moment.

These two travelers have a bag packed at all times, ready to go anywhere under any circumstances. They have European phones (they come in handly when Manneca didn't think she needed hotel reservations for New Year's Eve in Spain, but wound up in a lovely hotel four hours from where she was phoning around). They have netbooks equipped with wifi and can upload pictures in an instant. Each is comfortable traveling with the clothes on their backs, so long as they can take their cameras and netbooks.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:47 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

This is quite a difficult task to choose (more difficult than asking the 'Banker" from Deal or No Deal for the money to fund this member adventure!) from all these interested and and seasoned travelers.

I am cranking though my elimination round right now and hope to announce the winning two members tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest. What is challenging is the consideration to those who have submitted a ready-to-fly team vs. those who are individual volunteers. Which way to go? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Feb 3, 2009 at 1:09 pm
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:08 pm

Departure Status Update

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Which way to go? Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Let us help your decision making process with Elizabethh and l'etoile's Departure Status Update:

- schedule cleared for take-off (check)
- local media alerted and eager to report on this dynamic duo (check)
- confirmed flight to NYC for start of adventure (check)
- required gear and international electronics (check)
- passports and extra passport pictures (check)
- formulated strategies for competitask game theory, risk/reward point system (check)
- no need to 'compensate' for lost wage$ (no pay check, check!)
- ready, willing, and able to blog daily (check)
- All checked in and ready to WIN! (check, check, check!)

We think it’s time to up the ante here, Randy. How about sponsoring two teams? Double the fun, double the adventures and double the publicity.

We are more than ready to challenge Chexfan and Geo …and even put a little wager on the side. Point spread favors the girl team!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, American, Continental
Is it too late to apply?

I would love to be part of your team. Some things going for me; but others sure beat me with some of their skills.

Going for me--

I've been to foreign countries many times; always winging it, never a tour.

I will eat anything. And I love most of it.

I can sleep and travel under basic (even poor) conditions.

I know a smattering of Spanish and French. Say enough to get along.

People like me, and they like to do things for me. Perhaps because I'm a very nice friendly person.

It doesn't hurt that I am a very caring, rather attractive, 66 year old grandmother that people feel good about helping.

In a former life I was a negotiator. And I was good at it.

I love to travel; I love to meet people.

I am very good a puzzles.

I have a small HD video camera, a small laptop, a mobile broadband wireless connector, and an iPhone. I'll keep in touch.

Please consider me for the part!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by negotiator

* My inclination is to be rather intoverted and shy but, when confronted, I will 'come out of my shell' and some raise hell, if necessary;

Advise
It's about bloody time you showed up. You're the team mate I want. I'm just a gadabout but we will certainly have fun trying to win.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.