Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition

Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition

Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:58 am

Last Minute Entry...

I am hoping I make it in under the wire as I was, well, traveling.

In summary, I gave up working on Wall Street four years ago to travel full time. It is my life. The last four years has been a diverse mix of travel, including the physical: pedaling a bicycle from New York to Los Angelesand back, hiking the Appalachian Trail (with a 7.5 pound baseweight backpack), kayaking from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, as well as several years on the road, visiting 40 something countries on this most recent stint.

The unique combination of skills garnered in my past life in finance as well as the lessons learned in my four years of continuous travel put me on the right track to take the cake for Flyertalk. Schwarzwalder Kirschetorte preferably.

I am able to quickly evaluate situations to choose the optimal solution. I used to get paid to do it. I know that impossible simply means difficult and a no can be turned to a resounding yes using only a big smile, casual jocularity and a level of persistence that is unparalleled. I have a rare blend of innovation and resourcefulness that is infused with dry or sarcastic humor, which at the very least bestows upon me the benefit of the doubt.

While the Competitours website mentioned that there wont be any extreme physical challenges, the physical challenges I have undertaken in my recent past have graced me with many lessons learned and a broad skill set to tackle logistics, handle adversity and solve the miscellaneous surprises of spontaneous travel; especially as someone who at times first turns up at the airport and then decides where to go.

I have lived in Germany & France, speak the languages and have a network of contacts across Europe, though I feel it will be less important in the competition than my inquisitiveness, patience and teamwork. In my estimation, another major factor in the competition will be the people. Connecting with the local population on a meaningful level is a skill I honed as I began compiling the outline for my first travel book.

As far as technology is concerned, I have experience in sending real time dispatches from remote locations to apprise my blog readers of the happenings in my travel. The most recent kayak trip also involved shooting over 40 hours of video footage, some in front of the camera and some behind. It isnt the first time this cowboy has been to the rodeo.

In speaking with Steve from Competitours (you have to use all available resources), I learned that this first trip in March is the trial run. I will take the necessary steps to make it a successful endeavor for Flyertalk, while providing Steve with feedback about his product.

In short, my comfort zone is being out of the comfort zone. It would be a great opportunity to stretch my legs and use my passport for something other than crossing the Canadian border in a kayak. Most importantly though I wont forget to take the time to smell the proverbial roses as this is, after all, vacation.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Talking Wahoo!!!! Time to go...

The excitement is building!

geo1005 & chexfan are simply waiting for Randy's starting gun!

We are poised and ready...
Bags packed...
Passports in hand ready for departure...

Soon I tell you, a trophy shall arrive at Randy's House of Miles!

Delivered for display so that the world will know that one team, the team of geo1005 & chexfan, rose to this challenge and returned home...

VICTORIOUS!!! ^^
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Look no further we present: Team FlyerTalk!

These Fab Females of Fun these Innovative Ingenues these Creative Creatures these Scandinavian Sensations

Elizabethh and letoile.

Theyre zany, quirky, savvy, creative, innovative and fun. And, theyre wicked smart!

You get my vote!!! ^^^
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:53 am
Suspended

Showbizguru - on the substitute's bench - lights up another cigarette and wonders if anyone remembers that the sun never set on the British Empire.
Who says we don't know how to travel !
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:00 am

I'm starting to think that a team would have bigger chance of being chosen. So if anybody feels like me and want to combine our "applications" to make a stronger candidature, just PM me so we could figure out the details
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
Its like Willy Wonka all over again

I can't afford to travel much this year, so my only real shot at this is if somebody obnoxious and rich drops their randy-invite on the street near where I live, posssibly while they're bragging on their Blackberry about their new Tumi luggage
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
When I first told Ilana that I had traveled from Boston to Dallas via Honolulu to attend a meeting in Dallas, she broke up with me. True story. We were having dinner with another FTer at Balthazar in NYC, and as FTers wont to do, the other FTer and I were bragging about our most egregious pointless (well, pointless other than the travel of course) travel adventure. I was telling of the period following 9/11 and the SARS outbreak when trans-Pacific flights were incredibly cheap due to lack of demand. Based on information gleaned from FlyerTalk, I was able to find an A inventory (discounted F) fare on AA that allowed me to travel first class BOS-DFW-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-BOS for the same price (approximately $1,000) as it would have cost me to travel BOS-DFW-BOS to attend my meeting. So I flew BOS-DFW, attended the meeting and then returned home via LAX and HNL. I never left the airport at HNL, instead spending the few hours between my arrival and departure meandering around the airport.

Upon hearing the story, Ilana got up, told me that she didn't feel well, and walked out. I caught up with her on the sidewalk and asked her what was wrong. "I don't think this is going to work," was all she said before wandering off into the streets of Soho.

There's a happy part of this story (well, other than the obvious: my trip from BOS-DFW via HNL): this occurred eight months ago, and not only was I able to persuade Ilana to return to me, but she now is an FTer in good standing (she's much better behaved on the board than I am) and a newly minted Platinum AAdvantage member on AA. She either really loves me or (more likely) really loves my travel tips!

We are great travelers: we pack light, we're up for any adventure, we're resourceful, we suffer the indignity of coach with a stiff upper lip. And we complement (and compliment!) each other: I have the experience working the airlines, the trains and the buses and finding the best way between two points; Ilana has the experience navigating unfamiliar lands (as a literature professor with her summers free, Ilana has traveled more or less by throwing darts, ending up alone in unfamiliar places such as Germany, Tunis, Turkey, Poland and Japan). And we would be great FlyerTalk ambassadors, spreading the message of FlyerTalk throughout our journey (starting with our matching day-glo yellow FlyerTalk luggage tags).

This thread makes clear that there are many qualified candidates to represent FT on this adventure. But we come as an experienced and seasoned team. We know and can anticipate each others moves. And we'll deliver a victory for Team FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:25 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Blumie
When I first told Ilana that I had traveled from Boston to Dallas via Honolulu to attend a meeting in Dallas, she broke up with me. True story.
I went from Atlanta to San Diego round-trip through London recently...

...in both directions.

On another trip, I went from Washington, D.C. to Phoenix round-trip through Los Angeles once, Atlanta twice and Honolulu three times, never leaving the airport.

My bag is always packed and ready.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: Various
My Travel Experiences - From Four Years Old and Onward

. . . . .

Last edited by Robt760; Feb 8, 2009 at 8:31 pm
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:18 pm

Team Gadling

My wife and I will be contestants in the March 15th Competitour. As a blogger for Gadling, we'll be covering the race on that site and I plan on providing daily updates with video for them.

Looking at the candidates for Team FlyerTalk, I'm rather confident that we WON'T be winning this event. But I can't think of a more fun way to spend a vacation.

I'm looking forward to learning which team will be our 'competition' from FT.

About us:

We live in New Hampshire. I'm an AA pilot based in Boston and she's a former United flight attendant.

I first learned about FlyerTalk when my Boston to Paris video was discussed here three years ago.

The link for the video mentioned in the above post has changed. It's now here.

Good luck to you guys. We're looking forward to meeting you!

Kent and Linda Wien
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:47 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

First of all, let me say how much a fan I am of the Gadling Web site and of your blog posts and I'm quite humble that you are a member here on FlyerTalk.

Like you, I think this contest for travelers will be much fun. I know that my team will fast become friends with you and your wife and I look forward to the new friendships that will come from this event.

As a final note: I have always loved that video you did and linked to here. From what I remember, the best part was the human part of your job -- returning home to family and that lovely little daughter of yours. Thanks for your service to the passengers of the world and we'll look forward to your videos from Competitours and see you at the finish line!

Originally Posted by BOS2CDG
My wife and I will be contestants in the March 15th Competitour. As a blogger for Gadling, we'll be covering the race on that site and I plan on providing daily updates with video for them.

Looking at the candidates for Team FlyerTalk, I'm rather confident that we WON'T be winning this event. But I can't think of a more fun way to spend a vacation.

I'm looking forward to learning which team will be our 'competition' from FT.

About us:

We live in New Hampshire. I'm an AA pilot based in Boston and she's a former United flight attendant.

I first learned about FlyerTalk when my Boston to Paris video was discussed here three years ago.

The link for the video mentioned in the above post has changed. It's now here.

Good luck to you guys. We're looking forward to meeting you!

Kent and Linda Wien
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by MyXa
I'm starting to think that a team would have bigger chance of being chosen. So if anybody feels like me and want to combine our "applications" to make a stronger candidature, just PM me so we could figure out the details
You have a PM from a fellow (non-native to BOS) resident....
Team Flyertalk Boston Perhaps????

Reading the latter posts.. it could be Team Boston Flytertalk versus Team Gadling Boston......

Go figure!

Last edited by Alphaguy; Feb 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm Reason: More Info...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by xyzzy
This opportunity is SO enticing!

While I'm happy to go with anyone, I think Palal and I would do great together!

I agree.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:18 pm

Me and Alphaguy deceided to combine our efforts So please count us as a team We actually live pretty close so there will be no problem to do few trial runs around Boston (in the winter no less!!) to make sure that we work good as a team! We are that commited!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:23 pm

Thanks Randy. We couldn't be more excited. Hopefully we'll document it well so others can follow along. I just wonder when we'll sleep. (And who the Flyer Talk team will be.)

Hope to meet you someday, Randy. Why don't you come along?

Kent

Last edited by BOS2CDG; Feb 3, 2009 at 6:09 pm Reason: addition

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.