FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:30 pm
alex0683de

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by CK82
What an amazing opportunity! I figured I'd introduce myself and see if I might be a good fit. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but where can you find a better team for something like the Amazing Race than on FT?! Even if I'm not the best option for this particular race, I do want to propose to any other FTer who's ever been interested in the Amazing Race: Please PM me if you'd like to team up for the show. I really don't have family or friends that could or would be able to do it. AR 15 is casting now!

I have to admit that I don't have that much experience in Europe, but I believe I would be able to contribute a fair share just due to my experiences.

Availability:
I work on a contract basis, and have recently finished a contract. Right now I am a free agent, which enables me to travel whereever I want, whenever I want. I just arrived in Costa Rica yesterday on a one-way ticket...I can leave or stay.

Travel Skills:
I have worked in jobs that require 100% travel since I entered the work force in 2006(I realize that is not a long time, but being on the road 100% of the time gives you some incredible experiences). I have always traveled for fun/language immersion/volunteer opportunities/cultural experiences at every opportunity, including during school breaks, work vacations, and when I'm between work contracts.

PLACES I HAVE LIVED: China, Guatemala, Hong Kong, United States, (Costa Rica may be added to the list depending on what goes on in the next few months)

PLACES I HAVE TRAVELED: Belgium, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Egypt, France, Germany, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Ireland (Republic of), Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Panama, Puerto Rico, Russia, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States

One important piece of info, while I may not have traveled to a ridiculous amount of countries, I can say this: my style of traveling is to get to REALLY know a place. I have seen EVERY province/SAR of China with the exception of Tibet and Inner Mongolia(This in itself should count as several countries!). I have seen EVERY province of Japan with the exception of Okinawa. I have seen EVERY US State except 7(sorry New England states, but I've been DYING to visit! Feel free to invite me over. Same goes for Alaska and Hawaii). If you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere in the US, I've probably been there!

My style of traveling varies from roughing it to ultra luxurious. I have couchsurfed, and I've stayed at luxury resorts(using my points most of the time). I can always get anything done, no matter what country I'm in. I'm GREAT at reading maps!

Language Skills:
I am a fluent speaker of Mandarin Chinese(may not be particularly helpful in Europe, but nice to know the most spoken language in the worl)

I am a fluent speaker of English

I am an intermediate-level speaker of Spanish

I am a fluent speaker of Cantonese

I can get by with my Japanese

Willing to learn another language if someone is willing to teach me!

I can probably communicate with 50+% of the world with my language skills ^

Other Skills:
Experience on camera! Due to the nature of my occupation I have been on many television news programs. I am not camera-shy and would probably be entertaining to watch.

I can travel/work with anyone for 24/7. Again, nature of my occupation...

I'm pretty physically active, can handle most physical tasks!

I love eating and will eat anything without being disgusted with only one exception: see below

I and have absolutely no fear of anything except for bugs. I CANNOT and WILL NOT ever eat live bugs!

I think I'm a pretty nice 26-year old girl who's always up for some adventure! A true road-warrior where travel runs through my veins! Ever woke up one day and decided to fly to Ireland, rent a car, and just drive all over the country? Ever woke up one day and decided to buy a one-way ticket to a random country with the possibility of not leaving(visa permitting)?
Never mind the Amazing Race, how about a date?

As for March, I'll be in Croatia for flight training so no-go on that front. I'll definitely be watching the team that ends up going though!