Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recruiting: Team FlyerTalk for Amazing Race-style travel competition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:34 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by aaron1262
is Randy sponsoring all the teams? I thought it was just one team at first.
Randy's announcement was posted here.
(Basically, he couldn't narrow it any further, so is sponsoring 5 teams plus helping subsidize two additional teams.)
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
So, will there be a way for those of us sitting in arm-chairs at home to track the progress of the teams? Maybe there should be a requirement for those selected to post daily trip reports to the Community forum, so we all know how they are doing.

Greg
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Originally Posted by beaubo
............and I thought that Competitours was gonna be about TRAVEL, not another soap opera a la TAR, Survivor, Big Brother.

Silly, delusional me!
I'm glad I'm not you when this lot land! ;-) (although if you want a on ground helper...I'm willing to run away from my thesis for awhile!)
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
congrats to all the flyertalk teams...can't wait to follow your progress...wherever it is that we'll be able to do that!

my money's on the chicks. ^
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:43 am

Congrats to the teams and good luck! I'm really looking forward to following the adventures--the whole setup seems genius! (And so do our teams...)
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by l'etoile
And you would be the musically challenged one? http://www.elyrics.net/read/n/new-or...ur-lyrics.html

And just so you know, it's 'well-traveled crowd' not 'well traveled crowd'.
Yes, because all it takes for something to become universally accepted in the English language is for an 80’s rock band to sing it. Were that the only requirement to earn a proper place in the language, we would all be walking around saying: De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, courtesy of The Police.

Insofar as “well traveled” is concerned, the use of a hyphen is at the discretion of the writer. As I care deeply about the environment, I leave out the hyphen in the event that anyone prints the page. It saves ink.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: No travel, no cards. :(
Okay, so the party has started. I've popped some corn, ordered the purple/gold pompoms (any other teams with colours yet?) and this is just the pregame!

Wheeee.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How exciting!!!

I can't wait to find out what will be involved and how you all tackle your tasks.

Congratulations to all the selected (and shortly to be selected) teams!

Looking forward to learning much much more.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:06 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by liquid
Insofar as “well traveled” is concerned, the use of a hyphen is at the discretion of the writer. As I care deeply about the environment, I leave out the hyphen in the event that anyone prints the page. It saves ink.
great idea since we're tossing out hyphens for compound adjectives might as well leave out punctuation and capitalization to save ink too

just remember be nice and when they put you in the hold i will ask them to heat it liquid one
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA 2P, US Silver, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat RA, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by callie-girl
Okay, so the party has started. I've popped some corn, ordered the purple/gold pompoms (any other teams with colours yet?) and this is just the pregame!

Wheeee.
Go purple! Go gold! Thanks callie-girl!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: Continental, United
New Team Intro

Team Valley Girls reporting for duty!

The Valley Girls met in high school and have been best friends and fellow travelers ever since. Neither time, nor family nor the 2049 miles between Hollywood & Cleveland have diminished a friendship that began more years ago than they will ever admit to.
So it has been, so it will always be: Nothing comes between The Valley Girls and a new adventure.

Vagabond40 and her gal pal.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk vagabond40! Welcome Team Valley Girl.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Welcome!

Originally Posted by vagabond40
Team Valley Girls reporting for duty!

Welcome Team Valley Girls! We look forward to meeting you in New York before departure to <insert secret Competitours destination here>!!!

All the best, geo1005 (at the office in DC) & chexfan (roaming the streets of New Dehli as we speak)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Welcome to FlyerTalk vagabond40! Welcome Team Valley Girl.
Originally Posted by geo1005
Welcome Team Valley Girls! We look forward to meeting you in New York before departure to <insert secret Competitours destination here>!!!

All the best, geo1005 (at the office in DC) & chexfan (roaming the streets of New Dehli as we speak)
On behalf of Vagabond40 and Sweet Pea (aka Team Valley Girls) thanks for the welcome and we look forward to meeting everyone, having a great time and, all in good fun leaving you all in the dust.
And by the way, to the grammarians above - when it comes to proper English, Team Valley Girls are to language as the Soup Nazi is to chicken - actually make that alphabet - soup.

Last edited by Sweet Pea; Feb 11, 2009 at 3:46 am Reason: left off part of message
Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:52 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for joining this erstwhile travel community and it looks like you fit right in. Look forward to reading about your travels during this Competitours journey and hope you'll stay around and share with all of us for a long, long time.

Again thanks and I echo the welcome from our other members.

Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
On behalf of Vagabond40 and Sweet Pea (aka Team Valley Girls) thanks for the welcome and we look forward to meeting everyone, having a great time and, all in good fun leaving you all in the dust.
And by the way, to the grammarians above - when it comes to proper English, Team Valley Girls are to language as the Soup Nazi is to chicken - actually make that alphabet - soup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.