Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 27, 13, 2:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki


Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō


10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō


08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace


17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 26, 13, 4:12 am
  #841  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LHR
Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Posts: 10,170
Hello from AA 87 to ORD! The journey towards Tokyo begins!!

rwoman is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 4:30 am
  #842  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MAN
Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Posts: 1,409
Originally Posted by SQ421 View Post
Can someone confirm if its possible to walk from Shinjuku Station to Hyatt Regency?
Yes, its a 5 minute walk.
Circumknowitall is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 5:52 am
  #843  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
Programs: First Time Flyer
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by penegal View Post
I arrive at 17:05 into Narita.

By the time I clear immigration, buy train tickets, ride the NEX to Shinjuku (~1.5hrs), check in, then take the Oedo line to Roppongi (~8 mins) and find the bar, I suspect I will arrive at drunks around 19:30-20:00.

Naturaly if I get lost (highly likely), I will arrive a bit later

After revisiting the NEX schedule, my arrival time will be very dependant on the exact arrival time of my flight and whether I can get organised quickly enough to get a seat on the earlier train, or if I have to wait for the later train (there is approx a 1hr gap between services to Shinjuku).
penegal is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 6:09 am
  #844  
kpc
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by SQ421 View Post
Can someone confirm if its possible to walk from Shinjuku Station to Hyatt Regency?
Originally Posted by Circumknowitall View Post
Yes, its a 5 minute walk.
Only it you walk very quickly.....with luggage I say it is a leisurely 15 minute walk. It can be done all underground, but for the first time it may be better to do it at street level Make sure you bring a map....
kpc is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 6:54 am
  #845  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,536
Originally Posted by seacarl View Post
...
In my opinion the best route to either the Conrad at Shiodome or the Grand Hyatt at Roppongi is to take the Keisei Line. Either take the AccessLiner which runs directly into the subway's Toei Asakusa line to Daimon, and then it's one stop on the Oedo line to Shiodome for the Conrad (direction Ryogoku) or 3 stops to Roppongi (direction Roppongi). If the next Accessliner is more than 20 minutes off, you can also take a regular Keisei Limited Express, and change at Aoto across the platform for Daimon. These options are about 1100-1400 yen each way, and you can use either a SUICA or PASMO card, which you can buy at the machines at Narita. Takes no longer than NEX (maybe shorter, certainly cheaper) and the transfers are much easier.

ETA: The Conrad is directly above the Oedo Line's Shiodome exit, no streets to cross.
For sure, this will work - if most of one's travel involves non JR routes.

For those not going to Nagano, the Keisei line can be a way of saving significant - if they are planning little other train travel around Tokyo.
serfty is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 7:19 am
  #846  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,848
Originally Posted by SQ421 View Post
The JR East Travel Centre at NRT T2 Closes at 20:00 and the website isn't clear if I can purchase the JREast Travel Pass at the ticket office - Midori-no-madoguchi
I also wondered about it but since the website doesn't specifically say rail passes may be purchased at the ticket office when the Travel Service Center is closed I suspect you cannot. Not very helpful for people who arrive in the evening.
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 7:22 am
  #847  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Posts: 3,772
Originally Posted by SQ421 View Post
Can someone confirm if its possible to walk from Shinjuku Station to Hyatt Regency?
Originally Posted by Circumknowitall View Post
Yes, its a 5 minute walk.
Originally Posted by kpc View Post
Only it you walk very quickly.....with luggage I say it is a leisurely 15 minute walk. It can be done all underground, but for the first time it may be better to do it at street level Make sure you bring a map....
If you want to take the shuttle to the hotel, go to exit B17 on Shinjuku Station west side.

There is a bus stop located up the stairs of exit B17 (left hand side, on the right is Odakyu Department Store), where the shuttle bus will arrive. It departs for the hotel at the 10th , 30th, & 50th minute of every hour. There is usually someone there announcing the buses in Japanese. When you hear "Hyatt Regency Tokyo", that is your cue to look around for the bus. You should see a (90% of the time) grey bus with hyatt regency on it. This service is free.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Mar 26, 13 at 7:30 am
DHalltheway is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 7:26 am
  #848  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,848
Originally Posted by SQ421 View Post
Can someone confirm if its possible to walk from Shinjuku Station to Hyatt Regency?
You can walk but how long it takes depends on where you are starting from. The hotel's own website says it takes about 9 minutes to walk from the West Exit of Shinjuku Station.
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 8:43 am
  #849  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Posts: 3,772
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
I also wondered about it but since the website doesn't specifically say rail passes may be purchased at the ticket office when the Travel Service Center is closed I suspect you cannot. Not very helpful for people who arrive in the evening.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_sp/purchase.html

The JR EAST PASS SPECIAL can be purchased in Japan at Narita Airport, Haneda Airport, Tokyo Station and major JR East stations. For further details, see the list (refer to link) of exchange and sales locations below.

Notes:

Present your passport to the pass office staff. You will receive a pass after confirmation of eligibility.
The pass is valid for three days of your choice during a 10-day period from the day it is purchased.
Only one JR EAST PASS SPECIAL can be purchased in Japan per stay in Japan.

Of course that is JR east

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en005.html

The JR Pass (for all rails) is only available outside Japan.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Mar 26, 13 at 8:52 am
DHalltheway is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 9:19 am
  #850  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: Globalist
Posts: 100
Did anybody else get a 4280 seat charge for each leg of the Nagano trip? Since this is significantly cheaper than what was discussed in thread #555, I'm trying to figure out whether this is just part of the total charge or I somehow got a steal of a deal.

Also, anyone know the best exit to use to walk from Shinjuku Station to the Park Hyatt? I've heard that trying to find the hotel shuttle is something of a pain so walking may be easier. Thanks.
Berrenger is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 9:25 am
  #851  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,454
Originally Posted by Berrenger View Post
Did anybody else get a 4280 seat charge for each leg of the Nagano trip? Since this is significantly cheaper than what was discussed in thread #555, I'm trying to figure out whether this is just part of the total charge or I somehow got a steal of a deal.

Also, anyone know the best exit to use to walk from Shinjuku Station to the Park Hyatt? I've heard that trying to find the hotel shuttle is something of a pain so walking may be easier. Thanks.
Its not as close as you think - its a decent trek especially with luggage. I always catch a cab - its cheap and quick and I dont have to stuff around trying to find the bus. Use the bus to get back to the station though...
eightblack is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 9:29 am
  #852  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,848
Originally Posted by DHalltheway View Post
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_sp/purchase.html

The JR EAST PASS SPECIAL can be purchased in Japan at Narita Airport, Haneda Airport, Tokyo Station and major JR East stations. For further details, see the list (refer to link) of exchange and sales locations below.

Notes:

Present your passport to the pass office staff. You will receive a pass after confirmation of eligibility.
The pass is valid for three days of your choice during a 10-day period from the day it is purchased.
Only one JR EAST PASS SPECIAL can be purchased in Japan per stay in Japan.

Of course that is JR east

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en005.html

The JR Pass (for all rails) is only available outside Japan.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. SQ421 and I were wondering if it was possible to purchase Suica & N'EX at a ticket counter (Midori no madoguchi) in NRT rather than at the JR East Travel Service Centers which close at 20:00 (T2) and 19:00 (T1).

The actual text on the website is:
"Suica & N'EX is available at the JR EAST Travel Service Centers located in Narita Airport Terminal 1 and 2. They are not available for purchase overseas. Please purchase your package after arriving at Narita Airport.

Note: Tickets are available for purchase at JR Ticket Offices (Midori-no-madoguchi) even when JR EAST Travel Service Centers are closed."
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 9:31 am
  #853  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Posts: 3,772
Originally Posted by Berrenger View Post
Did anybody else get a 4280 seat charge for each leg of the Nagano trip? Since this is significantly cheaper than what was discussed in thread #555, I'm trying to figure out whether this is just part of the total charge or I somehow got a steal of a deal.

Also, anyone know the best exit to use to walk from Shinjuku Station to the Park Hyatt? I've heard that trying to find the hotel shuttle is something of a pain so walking may be easier. Thanks.
can't comment about the trip to nagano.

The location of the shuttle.

I would say west side shinjuku any exit if you want to walk. But I would suggest cab instead of walking.
DHalltheway is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 9:43 am
  #854  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,848
Tsukiji Market Tour - Friday & Saturday morning

Registration to attend the tuna auction takes place at the Osakana Fukyu Center (おさかな普及センター Fish Information Center) at the Kachidoki Gate (勝どき門) of Tsukiji Market (Shijō) at 6-20-5 Tsukiji, Chuo, Tokyo 104-0045. (Google Map, Google Street View)





It would be best if we don't try to meet as a group before joining the queue unless sharing a cab or walking together from one of the nearby hotels.

Tickets are handed out on a first-come, first-served basis starting from 5:00am (or earlier if there is a long queue). A first group of 60 visitors will be admitted to the auction between 5:25 and 5:50, while a second group of 60 visitors will be admitted between 5:50 and 6:15.

Do organisers or anyone else will not be able to reserve tickets and the only way to be one of the first 120 is to get there early. As there will be no public transport to get you to the market before 5am, the only options would be to take a cab or to walk there. A cab from the Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku to the Kachidoki Gate of Tsukiji Market including early morning surcharges will cost about 5,840 yen. From the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi it will be about 3,050 yen.

Procedures (courtesy of the Japan-Guide) are described in the first post. According to various reports the vast majority of participants are not Japanese. It might not be easy to spot other FTers unless you already know them.

General public who are not part of the two groups cannot wander around as they are not allowed into the wholesale area before 9am. However, it will be possible to visit one of the informal small restaurants for sushi breakfast or to visit the outer (public) market.

An official multilingual guide to Tsukiji Market is recommended.
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Mar 26, 13, 9:47 am
  #855  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Posts: 3,772
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. SQ421 and I were wondering if it was possible to purchase Suica & N'EX at a ticket counter (Midori no madoguchi) in NRT rather than at the JR East Travel Service Centers which close at 20:00 (T2) and 19:00 (T1).

The actual text on the website is:
"Suica & N'EX is available at the JR EAST Travel Service Centers located in Narita Airport Terminal 1 and 2. They are not available for purchase overseas. Please purchase your package after arriving at Narita Airport.

Note: Tickets are available for purchase at JR Ticket Offices (Midori-no-madoguchi) even when JR EAST Travel Service Centers are closed."
Oh!



I have no idea if the Midori-no-madoguchi is the same ticket counter or not. But if you look at the imagine above (Narita Station), you will see a green man in a reclining chair on your left beside the ticket gates. There is a ticket counter in that area where you can buy the Suica & N'EX too.

Just say Suica / N'EX, show them your passport, say if you want one way or round trip, pay, and you are good to go.

The ticket vending machines don't sell Suica & N'EX.

Hope this helps

Last edited by DHalltheway; Mar 26, 13 at 9:56 am
DHalltheway is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: