Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I know this is super premature, but is there any possibility of this happening next year as well? I was going to make a speculative Conrad booking prior to the devaluation if someone had a WAG regarding dates...
I'm going to need a good lie down after this one, so not sure if it will happen again. But I'm sure if everyone enjoys themselves and none of us get arrested, then you can be nearly guaranteed that a group of die-hards will commit to "going around again..."
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:05 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I know this is super premature, but is there any possibility of this happening next year as well? I was going to make a speculative Conrad booking prior to the devaluation if someone had a WAG regarding dates...
Let's get through this one first! I'll need a lie down as well. But I think the odds are good -- though since it's the Japan Do, there's a not-insignificant chance of having it outside Tokyo...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Hey, I'm still trying to write instructions on how to get to Kakoiya. Give us a break!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Is it too late to join?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:13 am
Moderator: Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by specialeffects
Is it too late to join?
No. Go to the first post of this thread and find the registration link and then register for all the events you want. You can pay for the Welcome Drinks/Dinner on the night and you can also pay the boat tour operator direct if you want to attend the dinner cruise.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:40 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Friday 19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yūrakuchō

Kakoiya (かこいや) is located close to JR Yūrakuchō Station and several subway stations on the 5th Floor of ORE Yūrakuchō Building , 2-3-5 Yūrakuchō , Chiyoda-ku.

This is the building to look for if you are coming from anywhere other than Exit A1 of Hibiya Subway Station. Look for the sign of 'au', a Japanese mobile phone company, at the top.

Enter the building through sliding doors to the left of the au shop on the street level and take an elevator to the 5th floor. Notice the Tokyo Metro sign to the left of the entrance.

Depending on which subway line you arrive and in which part of the train you have been travelling, you could end up walking almost half a mile to the correct exit after leaving the train. Here's a map of the area around Hibiya Subway Station showing various exits. You will have to zoom in to see the area close to exits A1 and C1. Click on the exit number for a panoramic view of the area around the exit.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/station/hibiya/map/index.html

If coming from Hibiya Subway Station (Chiyoda Line C09, Hibiya Line H07, Toei Mita Line I08), Exit A1 is immediately under ORE Yūrakuchō Building (but it could be quite a long walk!)

There's no need to walk up to the street level. Take one of the unmarked elevators from the basement up to the 5th floor where Kakoiya is located.

Exit C1 of Ginza Subway Station (Marunouchi Line M16, Hibiya Line H08, Ginza Line H09) is only about 100 meters from the entrance of ORE Yūrakuchō Building. It will be quite a long walk from Ginza Line to Exit C1.

Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line Yurakucho Subway Station is linked to Hibiya Subway Station but it's a long way to Exit A1.

From JR Yūrakuchō Station take the Ginza exit (銀座口) and walk under the Shinkansen tracks ("Lumine Street") in the direction of Shinbashi and Shinagawa.

You will come to Hankyu Men’s Department Store on the left and see ORE Yūrakuchō Building ahead across Harumi Dōri.

Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Is it too late to join?
And if you are in Singapore right now, come join me for a beer.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:53 am

Got the flights but no hotel, IC is fully booked and so are others on reward nights. Any last min suggestions?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by SQ421
And if you are in Singapore right now, come join me for a beer.
I am indeed in SG, working hard on my desk (ok just pretending while I surf). Where are you?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:49 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Got the flights but no hotel, IC is fully booked and so are others on reward nights. Any last min suggestions?
Am in a similar boat, with accommodation plans having fallen thru. Not only IC, but IHG, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, etc. all showing fully booked.

Hotels.com shows only 2 or 3 capsule hotel options (not sure my 6'6" self would fit in one of those, but...)

Suggestions/room-shares welcome.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
specialeffects, I'm at SIN for the next two hours before doing a Colombo turnaround on Cathay.

Hope you hop on to the bandwagon and head to Japan.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by skye1
Am in a similar boat, with accommodation plans having fallen thru. Not only IC, but IHG, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, etc. all showing fully booked.

Hotels.com shows only 2 or 3 capsule hotel options (not sure my 6'6" self would fit in one of those, but...)

Suggestions/room-shares welcome.
Well crap, I wish you had posted this like an hour earlier. I just cancelled my backup reservation at the Hyatt Regency (Sat-Mon).

I'd offer to share, but already have a roommate this time around.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Kakoiya (かこいや) is located close to JR Yūrakuchō Station and several subway stations on the 5th Floor of ORE Yūrakuchō Building , 2-3-5 Yūrakuchō , Chiyoda-ku.
Just did some recon there myself. Didn't go in the building, but the time of day in those pics makes me think we may have passed each other without knowing.

Ahh, yakitori alley, I could live there.

And for the second time this year, the first person I meet has a small world connection to me. Under the tracks I was sat next to a fella (local Tokyo guy) who went to my college the same time as I did. It's a very small school and we were both surprised to not have previously met. The other time was in Madrid last month where I coincidentally shared tapas with my next door neighbor, whom I had also never met.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ421
specialeffects, I'm at SIN for the next two hours before doing a Colombo turnaround on Cathay.

Hope you hop on to the bandwagon and head to Japan.
SQ421 - I'm also at SIN for the next couple of hours. Currently in the Krisflyer Biz Lounge. Where are you?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
Just did some recon there myself. Didn't go in the building, but the time of day in those pics makes me think we may have passed each other without knowing.
I was there yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.