Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 4:18 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Welcome to the Japan Do - March 29/30/31 - 2013
Click here to take you to the direct EventBrite Booking Page

Update 09 March 2013 (Just over 2 weeks to go...)

Make sure you check the Eventbrite page often as we will update on a regular basis with the activity schedule and due to image restrictions per individual posts here on FT, the Eventbrite page will be the source of truth. You can find that here. http://japando2013.eventbrite.com/

The dates are now confirmed - Easter Weekend (for those who celebrate). That means welcome drinks are Thursday 28th March and the DO proper is 29/30/31 March, 2013.

I can't tell you how excited I am to be a part of this event. I've always wanted to attend a Japan Do, especially given that Tokyo is my favourite city in Asia.

First things first, the event is now completely sold out. We have in excess of 110 registered attendees. If you still haven't received a confirmation email, please PM me and I will sort it out. You need to book flights and accommodation (if you haven't done so already) and I will be asking for a volunteer to help compile travel itineraries so people can either share the train ride in or have a buddy to catch the bus into Tokyo. (Update - FT member Serfty has kindly volunteered to help us collate peoples flights and hotels, so look for a master post by him shortly which will be updated frequently)

Unless you win the lotto between now and when the Do is on, do not even think about catching a cab from Narita Airport to downtown Tokyo!

Let me be clear. Taxis are not that expensive and are one of the most used an easy to use forms of transport in Japan. In the words of our resident expert on Japan, mjm, he states "I would think that of all the descriptions I would use for taxis, “expensive” would be one of the last. I think that describing them as ubiquitous, friendly, clean, safe and a great way to get home 24/7 would be far more apt. Perhaps even encourage everyone to have the hotel business card in their pocket so they can just show it to the driver if a language barrier exists"

This is good advice. Don't be apprehensive about catching a cab anywhere in Tokyo - but just bear in mind they wont be the most economical option from NRT to downtown.

In addition - all attendees must be registered members of FT (or their significant others, - we call them +1's in Do language). If you have registered - make sure your name is on the list down below (now arranged alphabetically)

Experience tells us that not all of you will show up - that's normal. Work might get in the way. Family issues might crop up. Other priorities might just simply take over. No problem. We completely understand. All we ask is that you let us know so we can take you off the list. Since the registration link went up, we've had at least a dozen people cancel.

In terms of "events" - we need to set the expectation that it is highly unlikely that a sponsored airline event will take place. As you might appreciate, both JAL and ANA have their hands full with the 787 issue and convincing either airline to cater for 100+ frequent fliers is too big a challenge - even for the collective resources of the organising team.

We do however have plenty of choices and options for things to do - so read on. Don't despair.

We'll publish everyone's travel details within the thread so you can make contact with each other (ie if you're on the same flight from the US, UK, Europe, Asia etc). You dont need to volunteer this information if you dont want to (ie you are running away for the weekend or are too embarrassed to tell your other half that you are attending an FT event).

We're blessed on FT to have some serious knowledge when it comes to Japan. 2 of the organising team are actually based in Tokyo - with one of the guys having lived there for 20+ years. The other person speaks fluent Japanese and has family there.

Let me introduce them to you:

JALPak - our very own JAL Forum Ambassador
armagebedar - our very own ANA Forum Ambassador
mjm - our resident Japan guru and long time resident
NewbieRunner - Japanese native and expert on Tokyo.
and myself.

I've had the privilege of arranging 2 "Do's" before, so I know what's involved from a logistics and planning perspective. What we didn't realise is just how popular the first ever Japanese Do would be, which makes it even more fun to be involved with. But it also provides additional challenges for the organising team (who are all volunteers and have regular day jobs, families and busy lives). Please bear with us if things are still falling into place. Yelling at the organisers wont help nor will a constant barrage of email or PM.

As stated, you need to registered for the actual Do in order to attend. There is no fee. We use EventBrite because it lets us track all attendees, allows us to mail the entire group and its a breeze to use in terms of event management (ie name tags, managing invidual events etc etc). See comment above - the only way you can attend this event is if you have a confirmation email from Eventbrite.

If payment is required for something, we will be totally transparent. For example, if we book a restaurant or need to charter a bus or book train tickets, we will spell out everything within this thread. There will be a separate registration link via Eventbrite and the sign-up process will be clear. You will be able to cancel and receive a full refund, provide you do so within the allotted time. Fair enough?

We are now going to ask for all attendees to pay a nominal booking fee to cover the restaurant reservation on the 1st and 2nd night. See separate links below within the agenda. This fee is non-refundable if you cancel within 7-days. As you can appreciate, trying to find a restaurant (or several) which can handle 100+ people is no mean feat, especially within Tokyo. The event organisers cannot be expected to financially guarantee a dinner reservation of 100 or more people

Flights and Hotels:
Thankfully, NRT and HND have a huge variety of flights for both US and Asia Pac based attendees. If you haven't booked flights, I'd be getting a wriggle on and looking for award/revenue flights now.

All attendees make their own way to and from Japan. And we leave the choice of hotel to you as well. We will let you know if we decide to make one of the hotels "base camp" but Japan can be a challenging place (for some). As we said, we don't recommend using taxis from the airport to your hotel and and the subway, which incidentally puts virtually every other train system in the world to shame, can be intimidating for first time users (although don't panic as there are English translations for just about everything) and plenty of staff willing to help. Do not leave Japan without using the train system as they are an example of how to run a public transport system. In addition, hotels can be pricey. Those of you who want to bunk in with someone, feel free to start a thread on this topic.

(Grand Hyatt, Hilton and Park Hyatt seems to be where a lot of people are staying).

Getting into Tokyo from Narita Airport

1. Train

Just about every time I travel to Tokyo, I catch the Narita Express. The train station is in the basement of the both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 and you can buy tickets either when you clear customs and come out into the main arrivals area, or you can simply head on downstairs (it is well sign posted and in English) and buy your ticket at the ticket office. Trains take 53 mins to get into Tokyo station. I think this is simply the best way into town as the trains are fast, run every 30-mins, are spotlessly clean and effortless to use. Cost is approx US$35 one-way from Narita Airport to Shinjuku, Shinagawa etc. (and just a whisker less to Tokyo station)
More details here http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/index.html

The best value for anyone travelling into the city on Narita Express is to buy the Suica & N'EX package.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

2. Buses

The other popular option is to take one of Limousine Buses from the airport. They drop off at all the major hotels. Again, it is a super efficient service and costs roughly the same as the train (ie JPY3000 per one way journey, which is approx US$32). The bus does take a little longer and the downside is that the buses can get caught in traffic (whereas the trains dont). Some of you who like travelling "above ground" will like this option

The bus company runs services from both Narita and Haneda and also a service between the 2 airports. All the details are here: http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

The Do Schedule

Thursday March 28th
1. Welcome Drinks
Heartland Bar - Roppongi
http://www.heartland.jp/conceptbar/i...ml?page=access

6pm till late (don't stress if you cannot make the Welcome drinks as the Do doesn't really kick off until Friday morning). We typically use the Thursday night to hand out lanyards/name-tags and for people to break the ice and get to know one another. Some of the best memories I've had have been at the kick off drinks! Everyone pays their own way and I am very happy for people to buy me any sort of Japanese beer... . And as a bonus, the Heartland Bar is actually owned by the brewing giant Kirin. How could this not be a cool place to start off at

Friday March 29th
1. Tokyo Fish Market, 5am start! Tour ONE

(Due to the size of the group now, we are going to run this event on Friday morning an Saturday morning). The challenge will be is that the fish market doesn't accept reservations and can only handle a max of 50 people per tour per day, so it will be first come, first served. I'm told that even if you do miss out on the tour, there is so much to see and do just by walking around on your own, that you wont be disappointed. Plus the opportunity to eat sushi and sashimi at 6am is something not to be missed!

The other important thing is transport to the market at that hour of the morning. You are either going to have to walk or catch a cab. The trains won't be running at this time.

Tsukiji Market (築地市場, Tsukiji Shijō) is a large wholesale market for fish, fruits and vegetables in central Tokyo. It is the most famous of over ten wholesale markets that handle the distribution of fish, meat, produce and flowers in metropolitan Tokyo. Tsukiji Market is best known as one of the world's largest fish markets, handling over 2,000 tons of marine products per day.

The sight of the many kinds of fresh fish and other seafood and the busy atmosphere of scooters, trucks, sellers and buyers hurrying around, make Tsukiji Market a major tourist attractions. In fact, the numbers of visitors have increased so much over recent years, that they have become a problem to the course of business, as the aging market's infrastructure was not anticipated to serve as a tourist spot.

Tsukiji Market consists of an inner market where most of the wholesale business and the famous tuna auctions are taking place, and an outer market whose retail shops and restaurants carter to the public. A few restaurants are also found in the inner market. In order to avoid interference with business, different rules should be followed when visiting the different areas of the market:

Visiting the tuna auction
The number of visitors to the tuna auction is limited to 120 per day, the maximum number which the market's infrastructure can accommodate. Tourists, who wish to see the auction, have to apply at the Osakana Fukyu Center (Fish Information Center) at the Kachidoki Gate, starting from 5:00am on a first-come, first-serve basis. A first group of 60 visitors will be admitted to the auction between 5:25 and 5:50, while a second group of 60 visitors will be admitted between 5:50 and 6:15.

Expect that the maximum number of visitors is likely to be exceeded on busy days, and that some later arriving visitors may not be able to see the auction. Successful applicants will be able to view the auction from a designated visitor area. It is not allowed to view the auction from anywhere else or to use flash photography or to interfere with the business action in any other way.

Visiting the wholesale area
The wholesale area consists of hundreds of small stands in a large, crowded hall, where buyers and sellers hurry along narrow lanes with their carts and trucks. It is an exciting area for tourists to view and photograph the fish and the action, but it is also an area where tourists are likely to interfere with the professionals working there.

Consequently, in order to prevent accidents and interference with business, tourists are not allowed into the wholesale area before 9am, when the peak of the business activities take place. Even when visiting after 9am, tourists are asked to refrain from bringing any luggage into the market and to be constantly alert of what is happening around them to avoid blocking traffic.

Visiting other areas of the market
Instead of visiting the inner market, tourists are encouraged to visit Tsukiji's outer market, which is located just adjacent to the inner market and caters to the public. The outer market consists of a few blocks of small retail shops and restaurants crowded along narrow lanes. Here you can find all sorts of food related goods, knives and fresh seafood and produce for sale in smaller (than wholesale) portions.

A visit to Tsukiji Market is best combined with a fresh sushi breakfast or lunch at one of the local restaurants. There are restaurants both in the inner and outer market area, which are typically open from 5:00 in the morning to around noon or early afternoon.

A few more general rules for visiting Tsukiji Market
Since Tsukiji Market is a site where serious business is conducted, it is important for visitors not to interfere with the action by adhering to the following additional rules:
  • Do not enter areas restricted to authorized personnel!
  • Do not obstruct traffic!
  • Do not bring large bags or suitcases into the market!
  • Do not enter the market in high heeled shoes or sandals!
  • Do not bring small children or pets!
  • Do not smoke in the market!
  • Do not touch anything!

How to get there
Tsukiji Market is just above Tsukiji Shijo Station on the Oedo Subway Line. Alternatively, it can be reached in a five minute walk from Tsukiji Station on the Hibiya Subway Line. The closest JR station is Shimbashi, from where you can walk to the market in about 15 minutes.

From Tokyo Station
Take the Marunouchi Subway Line from Tokyo to Ginza (3 minutes) and transfer to the Hibiya Subway Line to get to Tsukiji Station (3 minutes). The fare is 160 yen.

From Shinjuku Station
Take the Oedo Subway Line directly from Shinjuku Station to Tsukiji Shijo Station. The one way trip takes 20 minutes and costs 260 yen.

Hours and Fees
Hours: Outer Market: varies by shop, typically 5:00 to 14:00
Wholesale Area: open to visitors after 9:00am
Tuna Auction: open to visitors from 5:25am to 6:15am (restricted to 120 visitors/day)
Closed: Sundays, national holidays and some Wednesdays

The tuna auction typically gets closed to tourists for a few weeks over New Year to ensure a smooth and accident free course of business during that busy time of the year.

Admission: Free

*All Japan Fish Market content and images courtesy Japan-Guide.com

2. Sumida River Water Bus - 10.15am

Full update is here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20295366-post509.html

Japan Guide page for:
Hamarikyu Gardens
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3025.html

Water bus
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3042.html

Asakusa
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3004.html

3. Welcome Dinner and Drinks

Traditional Japanese Izakaya - These are wonderful little watering holes and restaurants which are littered all over Japan. We've decided on a place called Kakoiya which is in Yurakucho. It's a robatayaki/seafood-themed izakaya, located right next to the Yamanote Line (http://r.gnavi.co.jp/kakoiya16/map/).

We've made an executive decision and decided on a package, which includes the meal itself and also includes 2 hours of all-you-can-drink for 5,500 JPY/pp. (roughly US$57). Here is a rough translation of the 8-course menu:

【先 付】 Soaked prawns and greens
【鮮 菜】 Seafood tomato salad
【造 里】 Snapper and squid sashimi
【焼 物】 Grilled chicken with new potatoes and cabbage
【煮 物】 Okra wrapped in yuba
【揚 物】 Pork and vegetables in a black vinegar sauce
【酒 肴】 Dried ayu and broad beans
【食 事】 Meat miso udon

The all-you-can drink menu includes bottled beer, shochu, sake, plum wine, whiskey, sours, cocktails and soft drinks.

If you still haven't registered for the Dinner and Drinks and paid your US$20 deposit via Eventbrite, you need to do that ASAP as we need to give the restaurant firm numbers 3 days prior. On the night, everyone who has paid a deposit will simply owe US$57-$20 = $37. If you're a non-drinker, the price is still the same. The restaurant can hold 50 people (and we have 42 confirmed). The booking link is here: http://japando2013.eventbrite.com/

Saturday 30th March
1. Japan Bullet Train - Nagano Shinkansen (Tokyo to Nagano)

The train to catch is 08:36 (Asama 509) from Tokyo, arr. Nagano 10:18. From Nagano 14:26 (Asama 530), arr. Tokyo 16:12. Booking details will be up shortly. Everyone will be responsible for booking their own ticket and you will be able to do this online.

I'm going to lead this trip - a 90-min blast on a super fast Japanese bullet train to the city of Nagano. Trains leave often but assume we will set off from Tokyo station around 8.30am. We'll then spend the day in Nagano taking in the sights, find a local place to eat and then charge home again in the early afternoon. Ticket prices will be approx JPY15,000 per person (approx US$165 return) but we are working on finding discounted tickets. More details here http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation...o_d/index.html

Here's a link of what to see in Nagano
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6001.html

2. Fish Market Tour TWO

3. Cherry Blossom Walk around the Imperial Palace

Full update here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20267355-post476.html

4. Dinner Cruise (all invited)

Depart: 18:00 Return: 21:00
Cruise: Loop around Haneda Airport on a Japanese-style yakatabune
Food: Tenpura and Japanese hotpot
Drinks: Beer, sours, oolong tea, cola (all-you-can-drink)
Price: 7,500 JPY/person (81 USD) plus Eventbrite booking fee

Payment: All attendees must pay in full via the Eventbrite registration link here

The tour operator will provide a bus to transfer for us from the Haneda International Terminal as it's close and indoors, and people who come early can do some spotting.

More here: (websites in Japanese only!)
http://www.yakatabunekamiya.com/fune.html
http://www.yakatabunekamiya.com/kashikiri.html

Sunday 31st March
Free day

Optional Activities (Not yet planned) Volunteers welcome (if you would like to arrange or lead)
Boat Cruise Around Haneda Airport

A boat for up to 20-25 passengers may be chartered for 60,000 yen for the first hour and 10,000 yen for additional 1/2 hour. The standard cruise takes 2 hr 30 mins (total of 90,000 yen or 3,600-4,500 yen per person). Approx US$40 per person

Starts and ends at Tennozu Isle Pier (5 mins walk from the monorail station) - Haneda Airport - Tokyo Gate Bridge - Odaiba - Rainbow Bridge - Tennozu Isle

Useful Links:
Japan-Guide.com
Japan Toursim

The event team will continue to advise us of some of the best sights and sounds of Japan, which will hopefully suit the majority of people and be as moderately priced as possible. The team will also offer any assistance for those first timers to Tokyo, whether it will be tips and tricks for navigating the subway systems, which hotels might be best or some of the most popular tourist attractions. As I stated, I'll happily lead the Fish Market tour as I've never done it before and always wanted to. Plus there's something to be said for eating Sushi and drinking Japanese beer at 6am in the morning.

In short, the Japan Do promises to be a great time. Whether this will be your first visit, or you are a regular, make sure you arrive with an open mind, be prepared to immerse yourself into a wonderful environment and don't be afraid to meet new friends.

The Japanese people are incredibly warm and friendly, the culture is wonderful and in my humble view - the food is magnificent. The beer and sake is even better. Don't worry about not being able to speak Japanese, that's half the fun. I've lived and worked in Asia for 15+ years and visited Japan countless times and I don't speak Japanese. The only things I know how to say are "please bring me 2 beers" and "give me your underpants and bra. Quickly". Sadly, I haven't used the second phrase too often.

Look forward to seeing you all in Tokyo over Easter 2013. Watch this thread now as in due course, all the registration links will go up for each sub-event and I'll also be emailing people regularly from this point on - check your inboxes from "Eventbrite".

Regards

The Japan Do Event Team
(eightblack, mjm, JALPak, armagebedar and NewbieRunner)

**Images courtesy The Japan-Guide.com

Registered and Confirmed Attendees (as at 09 March 2013)
  1. Ainternational
  2. alicesantamonica
  3. armagebedar
  4. asya999
  5. asya999 +1
  6. baliktad
  7. Berrenger
  8. BondAir007
  9. Cardesigner2000
  10. caspritz78
  11. Circumknowitall
  12. crystak
  13. daiseee
  14. deirdre
  15. DENchick
  16. Deplaned
  17. dera
  18. dhalltheway
  19. DLroads
  20. DoubleJ
  21. EdgeWave
  22. eightblack
  23. everywhere
  24. flo_147
  25. G_G
  26. gomurad
  27. GWYIRL
  28. hamallu
  29. hamburgler
  30. intuition
  31. JALPak
  32. jpdx
  33. JY1024
  34. keirnna
  35. Kelikoatx
  36. Kong
  37. kpc
  38. kpc +1
  39. Legendary Poster
  40. LIH Prem
  41. lsed
  42. mjm
  43. Mommy Points
  44. msvacation
  45. mt-i
  46. NewbieRunner
  47. nme7
  48. none
  49. Noodlebar
  50. NZZO
  51. oirrio
  52. ozbeachbabe
  53. ParanoiaTX
  54. Pat89339
  55. penegal
  56. PeteJ
  57. Prospero
  58. qbrain
  59. redrick
  60. restlessinRNO
  61. Richelieu
  62. rwoman
  63. SanDiego1K
  64. SanDiego1K+1
  65. seacarl
  66. serfty
  67. skye1
  68. SpiderBen
  69. SQ421
  70. TAHKUCT
  71. TAHKUCT +1
  72. TAHKUCT +2
  73. tcook052
  74. tkey75 (Maybe)
  75. todorovic
  76. todorovic+1
  77. traveller101
  78. upup&away
  79. virmaior
  80. whimike
  81. Zol
  82. Peter Silberman

Miscellaneous:

a. Do Etiquette: There is no right or wrong at Do's. You don't have to participate in anything. It's entirely up to you. If you want to simply grab a couple of FT friends and do your own thing, go right ahead. But half the enjoyment (in my experience) is hanging out in a different city with like minded people. I can promise you Tokyo is a ball of fun. Sensory overload awaits the first timer. From the trains, to the people on the street, to the food, the culture and everything in between. I know I have said it before, but it is my favourite city in Asia, quite possibly favourite city of all time).

b. Clothing/Equipment: Comfortable walking shoes. Expect to walk a lot. Thru subway tunnels, around the streets, between activities. You need to be prepared.

c. Money: The Japanese still do most things with cash. ATM's aren't as abundant as you might be used to. When we pay for the meals (and if you are joining us) we will ask you to pay any balance you might owe in Japanese YEN. Not Pesos, Euros or the Polish Zlot. Taxis want cash. Its not to say you cant pay your hotel bill and many restaurants with your card, but the organisers are not getting into a dogfight at 1am in the morning because 13 people all want to pay their share of dinner on their Chase Sapphire card. Be prepared. Please bring local currency.

d. Deposits: The event organisers will do as much as they can to minimise you having to outlay anything prior to arriving, however for meals and some activities, we will require you to prepay a deposit. This will be in USD and you can pay via PayPal (and use a credit card). EventBrite, the software application we use to manage the whole event will charge a small admin fee to process deposits. This fee is shown clearly on the payment page. If you cancel within 7-days of the event, you will forfeit any deposit you will have paid and any deposit funds left over after the event will be donated to a local charity

e. Currency
The Japanese Yen is currently trading at 92 yen to the dollar. Roughly speaking - the train or bus trip from Narita to your hotel is JPY3000, which means it's going to cost around US$32. You can pay for "most" things with your credit card (ie train tickets, hotels, restaurants) and there are ATM's at the airport etc.

f. Cellphones/Wi-Fi
The local event team tell me prepaid SIM cards aren't the easiest things to procure. Watch your roaming charges if this is first time out of the US. Wifi will be available at all the major hotels etc

g. Weather
Historically, March is around high 50's during the day and high 40's during the night (around 15C to 8C). Check before you travel and pack accordingly. More here. http://www.accuweather.com/en/jp/tok...weather/226396

h. Artwork - Major artwork kindly supplied by our resident design expert and Senior Mod - Prospero

Last edited by eightblack; Mar 25, 2013 at 11:26 am Reason: Update Friday night Traditional Japanese Izakaya banner. Psst! Don't tell Simon I've been tinkering with his post ;)
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Accommodation

Where we're staying

Note: checkout dates are shown in silver, eg. 28 29 30 31

Chiyoda-ku
Code:
Handle               District        Hotel                       We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
abraxis              Chiyoda-ku      Villa Fontaine Kudanshita         29 30 31
Hatchobori
Code:
Handle               District        Hotel                       We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
tkey75               Hatchobori      Villa Fontaine              27 28 29 30
Minato-ku
Code:
abraxis              Minato-ku       Intercontinental Yokohama   27 28 29
abraxis              Minato-ku       Sheraton Miyako                         31 01 02
chchkiwi             Minato-ku       Sheraton                       28 29 30 31 01
daiseee              Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31 01 02
deirdre              Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31
kpc                  Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31 01
kpc +1               Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31 01
NewbieRunner         Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31
Peter Silberman      Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31 01
Prospero             Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31
redrick              Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31
restlessinRNO        Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29 30 31 01
serfty               Minato-ku       Conrad                         28 29
Zol                  Minato-ku       Intercontinental ANA                 30 31 01
Narita
Code:
NewbieRunner         Narita          Hilton                                     01 02
Prospero             Narita          Hilton                                  31 01
Roppongi
Code:
caspritz78           Roppongi        B Roppongi                     28 29 30 31 01
DEN chick            Roppongi        B Roppongi                     28 29 30 31 01
DHalltheway          Roppongi        Grand Hyatt                       29 30 31 01
qbrain               Roppongi        Grand Hyatt                    28 29 30 31
SanDiego1K           Roppongi        Grand Hyatt                    28 29 30 31 01
seacarl              Roppongi        Grand Hyatt                    28 29
upup&away            Roppongi        Grand Hyatt                    28 29 30 31 01
Zol                  Roppongi        Grand Hyatt                    28 29 30
Shinjuku
Code:
Handle               District        Hotel                    Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We
eightblack           Shinjuku        Hyatt Regency                  28 29 30 31 01 02
paranoiatx           Shinjuku        Hyatt Regency                     29 30 31
paranoiatx           Shinjuku        Park Hyatt                              31 01 02
penegal              Shinjuku        Hyatt Regency                  28 29 30 31
seacarl              Shinjuku        Hyatt Regency                        30 31
serfty               Shinjuku        Hilton                            29 30 31
SQ421                Shinjuku        Hyatt Regency                  28 29 30 31
upup&away            Shinjuku        Hyatt Regency            26 27 28
Taito-ku
Code:
intuition            Taito-ku        Ueno Terminal                  28 29 30 31
If you would like your own accommodation details added to the directory, please PM Prospero details of your check-in and check-out dates and he'll populate the list as we go.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 27, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reason: 28 March update
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Flight departures and transit co-ordination

Narita Departures

Saturday 30 March 2013

Sunday 31 March 2013

Monday 01 April 2013

Tuesday 02 April 2013

Thursday 04 April 2013

Haneda Departures

Sunday 31 March 2013

Monday 01 April 2013

Tuesday 02 April 2013

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm Reason: 24 March update - clack clack clack...
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Flight arrivals and transit co-ordination

Hello, Prospero here

serfty has very kindly been collating your arrivals and departure details. We'll build this post here to display flight arrivals. This should make it easier for us all to co-ordinate our transfers to and from the airport. Click on the Solari Board images to enlarge them.

If your name is not on the boards and you'd like it added, please ping serfty a PM with your handle and flight details and he'll add it to his master list.

Narita Arrivals

Saturday 23 March 2013

Monday 25 March 2013

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Thursday 28 March 2013

Friday 29 March 2013

Haneda Arrivals

Thursday 28 March 2013

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm Reason: 24 March update - clack clack clack...
Old May 30, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
I'd be interested with enough notice.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Japan isn't a city.

I assume you are referring to Tokyo?

I could be tempted to return for trip number 6 to Japan. I actually prefer Kyoto as a destination in Japan though.

I just flew back in from NRT yesterday after a gentle 5.2 jolting the night before the flight.

Sky Tree just opened last week and could be worth a visit.

Last edited by Moomba; May 30, 2012 at 4:58 am
Old May 30, 2012, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Mea culpa

Originally Posted by eightblack
Don't get too excited.
I'll admit to getting a little excited after reading the thread title as I'm planning a Spring 2013 trip to NRT, my first, and would enjoy meeting with fellow FT members so count me as very interested. ^
Old May 30, 2012, 10:37 am

I wouldn't mind coming along.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Let's firm up some dates and I'll be in.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:58 pm
mjm
Original Member

I have heard good things about Tokyo as well. Color me interested.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:41 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
If people are interested, it's possible to arrange a JAL/ANA hanger visit at HND too assuming we can secure the time slot with the exact head count (or if they are willing to make a special arrangement with us)
Old May 30, 2012, 8:24 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I'd absolutely be interested, and would be willing to help organize. I would recommend sometime in April or May next year -- perhaps hanami somewhere near Haneda Airport?
Old May 30, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Many folks are flying the b fare innaugural 787 den-nrt mar 31
Old May 30, 2012, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I'd absolutely be interested, and would be willing to help organize. I would recommend sometime in April or May next year -- perhaps hanami somewhere near Haneda Airport?
Late April or May works better for me if we're throwing dates out.

Originally Posted by JALPak
If people are interested, it's possible to arrange a JAL/ANA hanger visit at HND
Colour me very interested. ^
Old May 30, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I'm interested, any weekend works fine for me. May be moving to TYO in April 2013.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.