Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:11 pm

I was planning to pick up my Nagano tickets today, but can possibly wait till all of us decide what car to be in.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome Drinks - Thursday March 28th 18:00- Heartland Roppongi

Heartland (6-10-1 Roppongi, Roppongi Hills West Walk 1F) or ハートランド (pronounced 'Hah---toh-randoh') is on the street level at the bottom of the Mori Tower below a Zara shop.

We have the lounge area of the bar reserved for our group between 6-9pm, but the bar is open until 4am.

mjm's advice is to find the Roppongi Hills Plaza (on level 2) where there is a massive sculpture of a spider and from there to spot Zara. To the right of Zara as you face it is an escalator and stairs going down one level. Take that, hang a u-turn to your left at the bottom and you are there.

From Roppongi Subway Station you can take either exit 1a, 1b or 1c but whichever exit you take it seems more straightforward to walk to Heartland if you go up to level 2 (one level above the street level) and look for Zara as you will see on this Google Map. Crossing streets in Japan isn't fun and should be avoided whenever possible.

You will find a map of the area near Roppongi Subway Station showing those exits blow. The Mori Tower is the orange/yellow building on the map. Click an exit number for a panoramic view of the area.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/station/rop...map/index.html

mjm warns that mixed drinks are large and potent compared to the watered down things available in most of Europe and America, so you may want to pace yourself. And lots of food options open all night if you feel like Chinese, ramen, curry, yakinikku (Korean BBQ), or Western fast food (McD's is right across the street and all are 24h).

If you fancy eating something in Heartland here are a few options from the menu. (Look very Japanese but this is only the beginning... )

Spicy beef sauce nachos with guacamole and cheese (800 yen)

Tonkatsu sandwiches (1,200 yen)

And last but not least - Heartland beer (500 yen)

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 24, 2013 at 11:14 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:25 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
I have been asking this question:
Responses have been sparse other than there is a vending machine in car 3 and only cars 5, 6 & 8 have "ordinary" reserved seating (car 8 for 'green').

Do any have suggestions on this? 5? 6? 8? left end, middle, right end (as per image)?
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I was planning to pick up my Nagano tickets today, but can possibly wait till all of us decide what car to be in.
TAHKUCT, why don't you choose your seat, tell us which car you are in, and we will follow! Maybe car 5 or 6 in case there are a few of us and we need to spill over to the next car
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Originally Posted by kpc
TAHKUCT, why don't you choose your seat, tell us which car you are in, and we will follow! Maybe car 5 or 6 in case there are a few of us and we need to spill over to the next car
This sounds like a plan. In fact when you reserve, ask for the car with the most open seats.

BTW, my online reservation request came back confirmed, but it does not reveal what I was assigned. So I'll likely cancel it and just book a reservation in person once we have feedback on what part of the train to aim for.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I bought my first ever Suica & N'EX yesterday after waiting for something like 30 minutes in a long queue at the JR East Service Center in the basement of NRT T1. The only time I tried to buy one previously (after finding out about it in the FT Japan forum) the agent told me people born in Japan weren't eligible through they might hold a foreign passport. It was a fib but the experience deterred me from trying again until now. I wish I had tried earlier as I have been paying more than twice what it should have cost for travelling on N'EX for the last few years.
What you get for 5,500 yen is a Suica card with 1,500 yen credit and two N'EX tickets one for travelling into Tokyo and an open ticket for a return journey from anywhere in the greater Tokyo area to NRT T1/2 within two weeks.

The N'EX ticket is valid from Narita Airport to any JR East station within the coloured area. If you need to change to Metro, for example, you will have to pay separately, but you can of course use your newly acquired Suica card for this.
NewbieRunner - Thank you for your very helpful posts. I'm staying at the Conrad Hotel. For my benefit, and possibly others, please let me know if I have got this correct.

To get to the Conrad Hotel, buy a Suica and NEX round trip ticket for 5500 yen at NRT. Take the train to Tokyo Station. Get off the train and take another train to Shimbashi Station (Shiodome Exit). Walk to the Conrad Hotel.

At Tokyo Station, does the NEX ticket pay for the train to Shimbashi Station, or does that require another fare? What is the name of the train line from Tokyo Station to Shimbashi Station that I should look for?

Many thanks. :-:
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
NewbieRunner - Thank you for your very helpful posts. I'm staying at the Conrad Hotel. For my benefit, and possibly others, please let me know if I have got this correct. ...
If you are doing the Nagano tour, the JR east Pass with a separate Suica card may be better value.
To get to the Conrad Hotel, buy a Suica and NEX round trip ticket for 5500 yen at NRT. Take the train to Tokyo Station. Get off the train and take another train to Shimbashi Station (Shiodome Exit). Walk to the Conrad Hotel.

At Tokyo Station, does the NEX ticket pay for the train to Shimbashi Station, or does that require another fare? What is the name of the train line from Tokyo Station to Shimbashi Station that I should look for?

I believe the N'eX pass works on JR lines, so JR Shimbasi is where you would walk from. I the 5500 N'eX / Suica combo gives one trip each way between Narita Airport and any JR station in Tokyo. Beyond the the Suica comes in at a pay per use proposition.

I am using the JR East which gives travel on all JR East lines, including the N'eX. I'll use the Suica for non JR travel.

Here is my planned route for Narita to Tokyo Station:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...m&z=10&start=0

And from there to the Conrad:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...m&z=15&start=0

Last edited by serfty; Mar 25, 2013 at 12:13 am
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:11 am

If you are doing the Nagano tour, the JR east Pass with a separate Suica card may be better value.I believe the N'eX pass works on JR lines, so JR Shimbasi is where you would walk from.

Here is my planned route for Narita to Conrad:
serfty - I'm looking forward to seeing you again. I'm not doing the Nagano tour. My first visit to Tokyo, so doing some museums and things. So are you saying the NEX train stops at JR Shimbashi Station prior to arriving at Tokyo Station?

If you are able to enter your planned route, that would be great!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is my planned route for Narita to Tokyo Station:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...m&z=10&start=0

And from there to the Conrad:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...m&z=15&start=0

Also, here is the Suica/N'eX Guide:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/s-n_users_guide.pdf
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by kpc
Great idea. Will try to pick up my tickets later today and will post assigned car number.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

NewbieRunner - Thank you for your very helpful posts. I'm staying at the Conrad Hotel. For my benefit, and possibly others, please let me know if I have got this correct.

With the N'EX ticket you get you can travel to any JR station in the coloured area of the map including Shinbashi. You will be asked where you are going and your seat on N'EX will be reserved as far as Tokyo.

At Tokyo station the N'EX platform is on the basement level 5 IIRC. Take a set of elevators or escalators to the Yamanote/Keihin-Tohoku platforms (5/6), get on whichever train that comes first and Shinbashi is the second stop.

You don't go through any ticket gate at Tokyo unless you take a wrong turn!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:24 am

serfty and NewbieRunner - Excellent advice! Now I won't get lost. Thank you both.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the N'EX ticket you get you can travel to any JR station in the coloured area of the map including Shinbashi. You will be asked where you are going and your seat on N'EX will be reserved as far as Tokyo.

At Tokyo station the N'EX platform is on the basement level 5 IIRC. Take a set of elevators or escalators to the Yamanote/Keihin-Tohoku platforms (5/6), get on whichever train that comes first and Shinbashi is the second stop.

You don't go through any ticket gate at Tokyo unless you take a wrong turn!
I think the issue is that Shinbashi is not shown on this map:

If one looks here: [http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a...om=400,550,350] to Tokyo and looks for the lines that lead "South West" they will see that Shinbashi Station is indeed the second station from Tokyo on the way to Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa on the Yamanote (ring) line (Yurakucho is the first). So it indeed qualifies for the Suica&N'ex combo.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 25, 2013 at 12:38 am
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:45 am

I think the issue is that Shinbashi is not shown on this map:

If one looks here: [http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a...om=400,550,350] to Tokyo and looks for the lines that lead "South West" they will see that Shinbashi Station is indeed the second station from Tokyo on the way to Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa on the Yamanote (ring) line (Yurakucho is the first). So it indeed qualifies for the Suica&N'ex combo.
Not every station on the Yamanote Line is shown on the map but the area covered includes all of Yamanote Line stations, all of Chuo (commuter) Line stations and those outside Tokyo as far north as Omiya and as far southwest as Yokohama, Ofuna, Kamakura and Kurihama. In fact most places FTers attending the DO are likely to be staying and beyond.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not every station on the Yamanote Line is shown on the map but the area covered includes all of Yamanote Line stations, all of Chuo (commuter) Line stations and those outside Tokyo as far north as Omiya and as far southwest as Yokohama, Ofuna, Kamakura and Kurihama. In fact most places FTers attending the DO are likely to be staying and beyond.
True, but for those (like me) not completely familiar with Japan/Tokyo, the map missing the station is of small enough scale and sufficiently 'stylized' that it may not be obvious where the area is.

e.g. The Conrad is basically South of Tokyo station, it's not obvious that one needs to look at a line pictorially running directly "West" from Tokyo to discern a station/area nearby.

Anyway, that's sorted - I am looking forward to this weekend.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
We have the lounge area of the bar reserved for our group between 6-9pm, but the bar is open until 4am.
I arrive at 17:05 into Narita.

By the time I clear immigration, buy train tickets, ride the NEX to Shinjuku (~1.5hrs), check in, then take the Oedo line to Roppongi (~8 mins) and find the bar, I suspect I will arrive at drunks around 19:30-20:00.

Naturaly if I get lost (highly likely), I will arrive a bit later

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.