Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How many FlyerTalkers does it take to change a flat tire?
BOB W
3.85%
7.69%
20+
30.77%
What's a tire?
11.54%
What's a car?
19.23%
Call your Amex concierge
38.46%
Skykit!!!
7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

As far as encountering bears- I've had them in my yard numerous times- but not as much as moose- and although its not good to sneak up on either critter- unless fishing on a river, moose seem to be much more common in the backcountry.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Please put Mrs Cholula and I down as tentative on this. We'll decide for sure in ASAP after the first of the year.

If we do attend we'll probably pass on the FAI festivities and join everybody for the pre and post ANC stuff plus all of the Nome activities. But we'll clarify as soon as we are able.

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Cholula
Please put Mrs Cholula and I down as tentative on this. We'll decide for sure in ASAP after the first of the year.

If we do attend we'll probably pass on the FAI festivities and join everybody for the pre and post ANC stuff plus all of the Nome activities. But we'll clarify as soon as we are able.

Thanks.
You guys have been tentative for a long time, now.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jackal
I think its time for a decision. We need some good hot sauce for this DO@:-)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CDKing
Originally Posted by jackal
Indeed

My supply is running low

Rather interesting the contrast between Summer and Winter solstice as we near Dec 21
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa

Indeed

My supply is running low

Rather interesting the contrast between Summer and Winter solstice as we near Dec 21
I'm headed to ANC in early Feb. I Wish it wasn't a quick turn. I'm excited for June to come along.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing

I'll send in a few cases whether or not we attend.

But we just got a confirmation from the Aurora Inn in Nome for their Presidential Suite today so we're one step closer to actually attending.

And, No, the party is not in our room. That's jackal's main mission in life.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula
...And, No, the party is not in our room....
What absolute and complete balderdash.

Of course the party is in your room.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monitor
What absolute and complete balderdash.

Of course the party is in your room.
Mission accomplished.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
May I ask a stupid question? I love Alaska (and Alaskan Airlines) and a dream is to spend Midsummer night one year - North of the Arctic circle. My question is, why isn't this sort of get-together done in OTZ rather than OME. If my geography is correct, OTZ or indeed BRW or Deadhorse are North of the Arctic circle whereas OME is slightly south? Just asking - enquiring minds want to know.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
May I ask a stupid question? I love Alaska (and Alaskan Airlines) and a dream is to spend Midsummer night one year - North of the Arctic circle. My question is, why isn't this sort of get-together done in OTZ rather than OME. If my geography is correct, OTZ or indeed BRW or Deadhorse are North of the Arctic circle whereas OME is slightly south? Just asking - enquiring minds want to know.

I'll let the organizers answer this definitively but Nome is probably as close to a real city as us Los Angeles and New York residents can tolerate.

We can give up our upscale steakhouses, five star hotels and luxurious spas for a night or two but we do insist on a bed with a mattress, a toilet that flushes and a bar with single malt scotch and a decent VSOP Cognac.

OTZ and BRW are a bit lacking in those categories IMO. If I truly want to experience a midsummer night north of the Arctic Circle, I'll watch the YouTube video.

BTW, hope to meet you in OME!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
1. More to do
2. More to see
3. More roads for side trips
4. Probably better food
5. More interest was expressed for going to OME.
6. Alcohol is legal and there are bars. This is absolutely required at any DO

AS does have flights that stop in OTZ, so you do have that option.

and, it is Alaska Airlines......
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Thanks guys - great answers. If I went I can see that yes AS does have a flight that stops in OTZ and can still get to OME.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks guys - great answers. If I went I can see that yes AS does have a flight that stops in OTZ and can still get to OME.
Most of us are intentionally taking that flight.

Unfortunately, no time for a stopover (if you're going with the group), but at least we get to see OTZ from the air (weather permitting, of course!).

I hope to have some more news about specific travel plans shortly into the new year.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
We are tentatively interested. Have to be in Chicago June 27, but AS has a direct flight there from ANC !

Mike's birthday is June 21.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.