Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How many FlyerTalkers does it take to change a flat tire?
BOB W
3.85%
7.69%
20+
30.77%
What's a tire?
11.54%
What's a car?
19.23%
Call your Amex concierge
38.46%
Skykit!!!
7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
Now that makes sense. I had a feeling thats what it was
Sounds like we may be gaining a solution or at least clarification next week...
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If we do a charter we should list it on socialflights.com
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
kudzu + 2 are probables at this point.

The three of us have never been to that part of Alaska, and we'd like to make it happen

Thanks for organizing this!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
We are working with Alaska on opening up some additional saver award inventory on the following flights:

• AS190, FAI-ANC, 5:00pm departure, 6:03pm arrival
  • AS151, ANC-OTZ-OME, 6:05am departure, 9:10am arrival

If you are wanting to book these seats on an Alaska saver award or on a partner award from another carrier, I'd suggest setting an ExpertFlyer alert (if you have access to ExpertFlyer) and booking them as soon as you notice available inventory.

UPDATE: SAVER SPACE IS (AS OF 11/15/2011) CURRENTLY AVAILABLE...BOOK NOW!

The above option is best for those wanting to overnight at a chain property (using or earning points). I will be flying on the above-listed flights and will provide transportation to the FAI airport for those on my flights.

For those OK with foregoing the point-earning/burning option and instead spending ~$170 on an additional night at a non-point-earning hotel in Nome, we are happy to announce that BOB W will be leading a group flying to OME on the following flights (which appear to currently have saver inventory):

• AS184, FAI-ANC, 12:00pm departure, 1:04pm arrival
  • AS153, ANC-OTZ-OME, 5:10pm departure, 8:10pm arrival

Bob will take care of transportation to FAI for the group departing on his flights.

Upon arrival in Nome (whether morning or evening), transportation will be arranged to the group's hotel of choice.

Also, for those of you booking revenue tickets on Alaska Airlines, please feel free to utilize our Group Discount code of ECMG240, which should take approximately 5% of the base fare off (some fares appear to be excluded).

Last edited by jackal; Nov 16, 2011 at 1:15 am
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
We are working with Alaska on opening up some additional saver award inventory on the following flights:

• AS190, FAI-ANC, 5:00pm departure, 6:03pm arrival
  • AS151, ANC-OTZ-OME, 6:05am departure, 9:10am arrival
Just got the EF Notification on AS190 that W is available
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just got the EF Notification on AS190 that W is available
I tried to verify just after you posted this, but it looks like EF was in the middle of an outage at that time. I just checked now, though, and W space is not available right now.

And there may not have been W space available at all, today, according to this just posted by ExpertFlyer Voice:

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
As it turns out, a small subset of users were sent a false positive email which was caused by the problem that delayed our downtime tonight. Everything has been fixed and reset, and your alert is still Pending. Our apologies for the false alarm.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to verify just after you posted this, but it looks like EF was in the middle of an outage at that time. I just checked now, though, and W space is not available right now.

And there may not have been W space available at all, today, according to this just posted by ExpertFlyer Voice:
Yep that appears to be correct. I wondered why it sent me notification when it was down. At least its good news for me because it said my SEA-ORD for tomorrow ran out of F Seats bit all three remaining are still there
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the saver alerts again.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I oddly didn't get the alert I'd subscribed to, but I just verified that there's plenty of saver space (W7) as of now on both flights (6/22 evening and 6/23 morning).

If you're going to book a Saver (or partner) award, now's the time.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I oddly didn't get the alert I'd subscribed to, but I just verified that there's plenty of saver space (W7) as of now on both flights (6/22 evening and 6/23 morning).

If you're going to book a Saver (or partner) award, now's the time.
Agreed.

And oddly enough I did get the alert
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
And oddly enough I did get the alert
I finally did...at 4:14pm Alaska time.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For those looking for a cheap way to fly around Alaska for the Nome DO, check this out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post17392109

You can buy the 15,000 miles needed for an intra-state round trip a good bit cheaper now during this promo.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:34 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Haven't really noticed this till now.

Spent 5 nights in ANC last year, but was totally zonked at the end of 9 weeks around-the-world travel (desperate to get home) so a day trip to Talkeetna on the train, and a Segway tour of downtown ANC (which was a lot of fun actually) was all I really managed to do (a couple of feeble attempts to visit Denali came to naught).

Tentative (and shorter!) around-the-world trip planned for mid-2012, the centrepiece of which is/was to be in Sweden 25th - 30th June, so clearly cannot do both it and this.

This trip looks so good though!

A lot has to fall into place for me to get to this DO (or even make a RTW trip at all) but it sounds great, so please just mark me as tentative for now.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:35 pm

Fun in Fairbanks

I just found this trip while hunting information on the Bose QC15 and thought as a Fairbanksan (AS Gold), I could give a suggestion or two for those who are interested in staying until the 5pm flight to ANC and want to do something fun in Fairbanks on Friday of the trip. The number one attraction in Fairbanks, and some have said the top visitor adventure in the state, is the Riverboat Discovery. Here is the link:

http://riverboatdiscovery.com/

Another fun option is to visit the Little Eldorado Gold Mine. It is operated by the same family as the riverboat. Here is their link:

http://eldoradogoldmine.com/

And one last item, the University of Alaska Museum.

http://www.uaf.edu/museum/

If anyone wants more info on these attractions or suggestions for other interests while in Fairbanks, I'd be happy to give a penny's worth of my opinion. This sounds like a fun adventure. I do have one question: What is the significance of the notation Jackal and Beckoa have regarding the Board Room?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Mrs. Cholula and I are tentative for this trip although we may not take the Fairbanks Train Trip/Baseball Game sidetrip on the way to Nome. Monitor has come up with a work-around that will get us to Nome and back again to ANC in time for Bob W's BBQ and Wall Of Wine.

So put us down for tentative until we can work out the logistics.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.