Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How many FlyerTalkers does it take to change a flat tire?
BOB W
3.85%
7.69%
20+
30.77%
What's a tire?
11.54%
What's a car?
19.23%
Call your Amex concierge
38.46%
Skykit!!!
7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
If I recall correctly, I even had data service in Nome a few years back.
Good that you posted your personal experience. The AT&T map can lie...for example, look at the data map for Barrow and the voice or data map for Kaktovik/Barter Island. You and I both know from personal experience that the map is not accurate in those cases.

That said, it does show Wainwright, Barrow, and Kaktovik as having service provided by a partner (ASTAC...there's another FTer around here who can supply the dirty details about them ), whereas Nome appears to be served directly by AT&T-owned cell towers, so I'd be inclined to believe the coverage map a bit more. (It also says there's EDGE, which is good, although the 1s delay introduced by the satellite backhaul makes both voice and data usage extremely painful... )

We will likely be out of cell range for ~3-4 hours during the day on Saturday, though, as we explore the area around Nome (not counting the time on a plane, too), if it's important to be available.

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I may not be a local at that point

I hope I still am though
Just fail a few classes.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
8:15am: depart for Fairbanks on the Alaska Railroad's Denali Star
Two classes are offered for the train trip:

Adventure Class and GoldStar Class are offered. Adventure Class is the main cabin of each car. We took this class during the second DO. Decent seating, great views out the sides of the train, access to the dining car, etc.

GoldStar Service

The Alaska Railroad builds upon its unique passenger car fleet and raises the bar of luxury rail travel with the addition of two new custom double-deck railcars.

GoldStar Service features:

■Confirmed seat in the upper-level dome car
■Complimentary coffee, soda, or tea served at your seat
■Priority seating in the lower-level dining room showcasing original Alaska artwork
■Private outdoor viewing deck - the only one of its kind

Weather permitting, GoldStar may be they way to go for the best views. Adventure Class offers the best values.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
RE Hotels. I'm open to sharing

Originally Posted by BOB W

Weather permitting, GoldStar may be they way to go for the best views. Adventure Class offers the best values.
Hope the weather is nice because I would like to be in First/Business class for part of the trip

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 31, 2011 at 3:43 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:19 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Put me down as tentative; I have no idea yet what I'm doing next summer and unfortunately won't for some time, but if I'm around (or can be around) I'd love to jump on board for at least part of it.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
GoldStar Service features:

■Confirmed seat in the upper-level dome car
■Complimentary coffee, soda, or tea served at your seat
■Priority seating in the lower-level dining room showcasing original Alaska artwork

If you take photos, GoldStar is much due to the viewing deck. It's good to take photos without windows in the way, due to reflections (and with my camera) focus issues. The regular cars only have large windows that can be opened between cars, and photographers tend to compete for that space.

David
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Mark me down as tentative as well if you don't mind a (really) young fella joining in the fun!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Tentative plus!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by violist
Tentative plus!
Duly noted. You will be in charge of the Caprese Salad with Alaska Grown tomatoes & basil. I'll need to see if there is any locally produced buffalo mozzarella.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Put me down as a tentative, probably solo. We have a lot in the works for early to mid 2012, but if I can clear out some time, this would be an amazing trip.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Alaska Railroad:
Standard fare: $210ow (working on group discount; potentially up to 50% off)
It looks like some may want the GoldStar option. Can you work on a special rate for that also? Or is the special rate only available for Adventurer class?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It looks like some may want the GoldStar option. Can you work on a special rate for that also? Or is the special rate only available for Adventurer class?
I don't recall; If I recall correctly, I think we can still get the 50% off the base fare but we are still responsible for the full upcharge to GoldStar. I'll look into it. Need to make some calls...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Count me in for all! Last time was a blast and a half. ^
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
My tentative attendance can be changed to confirmed. Had a sizeable "appreciation certificate" available on UA/CO, which brought the fare down to a "pittance", and providing me with a not-so-shabby 6,338 MP miles.

Arriving ANC at 11.25pm on June 19, leaving on Monday morning, June 25, at 0.40am.

Should give me time to attend the Sunday night BBQ.

Of course, I will also attend all other scheduled events and if a group rate becomes available for the rail dome car, I will definitely go for that.

In fact, I will probably do the dome car, group rate or not.

Cheers
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:51 pm

Put me + 1 as tentative for the event, already put it on my calendar and blocked it off...Looking forward to seeing some sourdoughs making a break in the bush up in Nome =D

I'm in Denali at the moment enjoying the terminating dust, Old Man Winter's a-coming soon.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usa18dca
I'm in Denali at the moment enjoying the terminating dust, Old Man Winter's a-coming soon.
Quiet! Don't speak of such things! It was a nice, semi-sunny, 69-degree day here yesterday...

Looking forward to seeing all of you guys who have indicated interest (or, even more awesomely, actually confirmed!). We may need to get some more vans...any volunteers to drive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.