Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How many FlyerTalkers does it take to change a flat tire?
BOB W
3.85%
7.69%
20+
30.77%
What's a tire?
11.54%
What's a car?
19.23%
Call your Amex concierge
38.46%
Skykit!!!
7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by belle3388
Me and + 1 too (there may be another + 1, then it will be me and + 2 too )
There is room for everyone!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ATTENTION PLEASE!

Tickets for the Midnight Sun Baseball Classic are NOW ON SALE!

If you are joining us in Fairbanks for the Midnight Sun ballgame, you are responsible for obtaining your own tickets. Tickets are available at a cost of $15 at http://www.goldpanners.com/MidnightSunGame/index.html (direct link to ticket purchase page: http://www.goldpanners.com/Secure/20...n-game-ticket/)

Seating is open, so do not worry about seats--we will head to the "stadium" shortly after arrival by train and should have no problem sitting together as a group.

I will not be purchasing extra tickets, so please ensure you order your own tickets in time to receive them before arrival. (The Will Call option will cause a delay upon entering the ballpark, as you'll need to stand in line to pick up your tickets before entering.)

Last edited by jackal; Apr 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, AA
Confirm LIGrin

I would like to confirm my participation in Midnight Sun Baseball Game and BBQ only. I will be enjoying Denali NP. I so enjoyed the park last year.

Last edited by LIGrin; Feb 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
ATTENTION PLEASE!

Tickets for the Midnight Sun Baseball Classic are NOW ON SALE!

If you are joining us in Fairbanks for the Midnight Sun ballgame, you are responsible for obtaining your own tickets. Tickets are available at a cost of $15 at http://www.goldpanners.com/MidnightSunGame/index.html (direct link to ticket purchase page: http://www.goldpanners.com/Secure/20...n-game-ticket/)

Seating is open, so do not worry about seats--we will head to the "stadium" shortly after arrival by train and should have no problem sitting together as a group.

I will not be purchasing extra tickets, so please ensure you order your own tickets in time to receive them before arrival. (There may be a will-call option available, but having them in hand before arrival will probably speed our entry as a group.)
Very Nice!!!! Glad to see it's open seating.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIGrin
I would like to confirm my participation in Midnight Sun Baseball Game and BBQ only. I will be enjoying Denali NP. I so enjoyed the park last year.
Cool! Looking forward to seeing you again.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
but money and time interfere....sounds SO awesome!

maybe next time...
Next time will be different. we're thinking brunch in Ruby with a 5 mile swim in the Beaufort Sea and camping on the beach in BRW next March for the next DO so you need to show up this time.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
Next time will be different. we're thinking brunch in Ruby with a 5 mile swim in the Beaufort Sea and camping on the beach in BRW next March for the next DO so you need to show up this time.
No clamming in BRW that time of year - the ice isn't out yet. But not quite skeeter season

Polar Bear swim can be fun- perhaps in OME For GOLD ^

Glad to have LIGrin as a repeat visitor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:41 pm

[QUOTE=beckoa;18108498]Polar Bear swim can be fun- perhaps in OME For GOLD ^/QUOTE]

That will be this year. Bring your Speedo...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
I've ordered my ticket for the Midnight Baseball Game - on the website it was easy. 15USD.

Also, the Regency Fairbanks (hotel) has a web special 99USD per night including breakfast and free transportation to/from the train station and FAI airport, so I booked that. Hampton Inn (Hilton product) was twice that last I checked.

I'm counting on Delta to deliver me to FAI 8pm in time for the game.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
[QUOTE=BOB W;18108523]
Originally Posted by beckoa
Polar Bear swim can be fun- perhaps in OME For GOLD ^/QUOTE]

That will be this year. Bring your Speedo...
I'm down! I've already done the Polar Bear swim in Barrow. I think the town actually organizes a Polar Bear swim the weekend we'll be there!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by uva185

I'm down! I've already done the Polar Bear swim in Barrow. I think the town actually organizes a Polar Bear swim the weekend we'll be there!
Didn't realize that... but sounds like a hoot'n'hollarin time

And can't recall if this was posted before, but a fun FAQ of OME: http://www.visitnomealaska.com/nome-faq.html
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
[QUOTE=uva185;18116549]
Originally Posted by BOB W

This edition of the Nome Nugget has plenty of articles about last year's Midnight Sun Festival.

http://www.nomenugget.net/archives/2...23.11%20nn.pdf
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=uva185;18124386]

This edition of the Nome Nugget has plenty of articles about last year's Midnight Sun Festival.

http://www.nomenugget.net/archives/2...23.11%20nn.pdf
That has a pretty good picture of what the Polar Bear Splash will look like when we all go down to watch beckoa dancing into the surf on Saturday afternoon.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by monitor
That has a pretty good picture of what the Polar Bear Splash will look like when we all go down to watch beckoa dancing into the surf on Saturday afternoon.
Heck- I might have to bring my snorkel too

Nice file, but a bit big for my slooow internet

I think a few FT'ers may be joining me too
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:37 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=monitor;18124696]
BRRRRRR having done a couple Jan 1 polar bear swims in Lake Michigan, here is why the polar bear swim will be much tougher up in AK, it is all about air temp.

On Jan 1 here in Chicago, by the time one strips down to their swim suit, the skin is exposed to freezing temps so the capillaries shut down & the skin starts to numb so when I hit the water, the shock really isn't there.

BUT

hitting frigid water when the air temp is 'warm' is a whole different story, the shock to the body is great. Sort of like water skiing on N Wisconsin lakes just after the ice melts, you sure hope that you don't fall !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.