Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by garykung
It is not worth upgrading, unless it has a TY bonus.
I disagree... there are benefits to having CitiGold over CitiPriority. That is, if they will allow with the lower balance, which seems to be the case from the ad
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I disagree... there are benefits to having CitiGold over CitiPriority.
The difference is minimal to most.

That is, if they will allow with the lower balance, which seems to be the case from the ad
It would be temporary...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Where did you see this, *what page? I tried to find but didn't see. Did you click on it to enroll?
This was in the My Accounts (overview) screen in the Citi Mobile (Android) app.

It alternates between the previous banner, and another "Upgrade to Citigold" banner (without the "free"), which is why I'm hesitant to click through since I don't know how or why the offer is "free." Clicking on the "free" banner from above just gives an overview of the benefits and a button to confirm the upgrade, but no other offer details. Will try to post it if I get it again...

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Dec 12, 2017 at 7:19 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:52 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
The difference is minimal to most.

I'd disagree, "minimal difference" maybe true on paper, but not in real life:
CitiGold gives you access to a Personal Banker and a whole set of different staff, resulting in a world of difference in the customer service experience.
My experience with Citi call centers has been horrible and my personal banker eliminates the need to deal with that, making a world of difference.
You also get access to the CitiGold branches - which in some countries is a huge difference again with regards to experience.
It's like going from AirAsia to SQ First - If you can qualify for Gold, it's worth the difference in customer service...
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Fyd
CitiGold gives you access to a Personal Banker and a whole set of different staff, resulting in a world of difference in the customer service experience.
The difference is minimal because the Citigold banker can't touch your investment. Their jobs are no difference from typical Citibank bankers.

Originally Posted by Fyd
My experience with Citi call centers has been horrible and my personal banker eliminates the need to deal with that, making a world of difference.
Citibank scores the bottom in term of bank satisfaction among 4 major banks in the U.S. per J.D. Power. Surprising - Chase is the best, while both BofA and WF come very close (with BofA slightly better than WF).

Originally Posted by Fyd
You also get access to the CitiGold branches - which in some countries is a huge difference again with regards to experience.
Access to Citigold depends on if the local branches have access to your accounts.

In many cases, a local branch has access to a local Citigold account only.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:06 pm

Bonus AA Miles Offers for Citigold

I opened a Citigold account several years ago in order to get 50,000 bonus miles on American Airlines. I basically opened the account just for the bonus, and now I don't do my regular banking from the Citigold account. If I close the Citigold account and move the money into my regular checking account (B of A), does anyone know if Citi will try a retention offer? OR....are there data points for if I close this account, will they later perhaps offer a "we want you back" promo with new miles bonus?

thanks
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I opened a Citigold account several years ago in order to get 50,000 bonus miles on American Airlines. I basically opened the account just for the bonus, and now I don't do my regular banking from the Citigold account. If I close the Citigold account and move the money into my regular checking account (B of A), does anyone know if Citi will try a retention offer? OR....are there data points for if I close this account, will they later perhaps offer a "we want you back" promo with new miles bonus?

thanks
If you never really had money in there, they don't care.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I close the Citigold account and move the money into my regular checking account (B of A), does anyone know if Citi will try a retention offer? OR....are there data points for if I close this account, will they later perhaps offer a "we want you back" promo with new miles bonus?
Enlighten me if you can (as I honestly don't know) - which banks would actually offer retention offers to bank account customers?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:24 pm

Enlighten me if you can (as I honestly don't know) - which banks would actually offer retention offers to bank account customers?
I don't know either and am wondering the same. I haven't closed an account in a long time, but I'd don't think they'd simply say "Okay, fine. Thanks for your past business."
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... I'd don't think they'd simply say "Okay, fine. Thanks for your past business."
In my experience that is exactly what they will say, provided you mention a reason which allows them to select a box on their screen. All service businesses experience churn, closing a bank account is an everyday event.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Is the $100 credit for the Prestige AF still applicable for new Citi Gold accounts?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I opened a Citigold checking account back in the halcyon days of the Citi Prestige card. I then turned it into what I think is a vanilla Citi checking acccount, but -- like many others -- have continued to receive the Citi Prestige at $350 since for whatever reason Citi seems to have classed me (still) as a Citigold customer. I know that it appears that the recent changes in the Citi Prestige may include ending the $350 AF, but I am willing to hold onto this account for one more cycle just in case. With Citi IT, you never know.

On the other hand, savings rates used to be <1% and now they are >2%, so leaving $4K sloshing around in a seldom-used checking account is starting to cost me the savings on the AF. It looks to me that $1,500 might be the minimum no fee daily balance required on these accounts -- does anyone know and/or have experience with how much you have to have in these accounts (a) to not rack up any monthly charges and (b) [at least to present] maintain the $350 Citi Prestige AF?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I opened a Citigold checking account back in the halcyon days of the Citi Prestige card. I then turned it into what I think is a vanilla Citi checking acccount, but -- like many others -- have continued to receive the Citi Prestige at $350 since for whatever reason Citi seems to have classed me (still) as a Citigold customer. I know that it appears that the recent changes in the Citi Prestige may include ending the $350 AF, but I am willing to hold onto this account for one more cycle just in case. With Citi IT, you never know.

On the other hand, savings rates used to be <1% and now they are >2%, so leaving $4K sloshing around in a seldom-used checking account is starting to cost me the savings on the AF. It looks to me that $1,500 might be the minimum no fee daily balance required on these accounts -- does anyone know and/or have experience with how much you have to have in these accounts (a) to not rack up any monthly charges and (b) [at least to present] maintain the $350 Citi Prestige AF?
I closed my CitiGold account, and still have the $350 AF. This probably is the last time though.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
There isn't a rhyme or reason to how Citi puts Citigold status on their affiliated accounts.

We are bona fide legit CG customers, and my wife's status gets 'dropped' from her accounts about every 18mos, and we have to go through some pain to get all that reattached.

I'm CG and just had all my external linked accounts 'lost' from their system over a system upgrade 3 weeks ago.

I've had 3 calls and multiple open tech tickets with them, to no avail.

What I can't understand is how unstable everything about the customer interface is over the web.

People grandfathered into the old legacy (and now incorrect) fee might get that for a long time, so don't be so quick to cancel.

I'm starting to use our other banking service providers more.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries

Pretty sure I have the $1500 minimum account, and I've been getting the reduced AF on the Prestige (which, I hope, continues). I just keep the balance there - very little activity there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.