Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Closed CitiGold Checking; ThankYou Points Forfeited [in 60 days]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

I received the 50,000 AA miles for the CitiGold account in February.

I sent a SM to close my account and told them I didn't like that I had to call 4 times to get a valid debit card and that they took 4 months to post bonus points and that's why I was closing it.

They replied that they are closing the account as requested but that any points earned from the checking account will be forfeited if not used within 60 days.

I had an existing Thank You account from another Citi Card and merged them.

Does anyone have experience with this? Will I lose my points and should I just transfer them to an airline account?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
...any points earned from the checking account will be forfeited if not used within 60 days.
Even though you have one ThankYou Rewards account Citi tracks the expiration status separately for each product. If you login to your account at thankyou.com you can see the expiration dates for all points and verify that the CitiGold points are set to expire soon.

Note that points earned though banking cannot be transferred to airlines, Hilton or another person's ThankYou account. You will need to redeem them for airfare or a giftcard or similar.

This is all disclosed here:

https://www.thankyou.com/tc.jspx?cmp...r|ty-term-cond
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
Even though you have one ThankYou Rewards account Citi tracks the expiration status separately for each product. If you login to your account at thankyou.com you can see the expiration dates for all points and verify that the CitiGold points are set to expire soon.

Note that points earned though banking cannot be transferred to airlines, Hilton or another person's ThankYou account. You will need to redeem them for airfare or a giftcard or similar.

This is all disclosed here:

https://www.thankyou.com/tc.jspx?cmp...r|ty-term-cond
I didn't even pay attention to what I typed in the OP. Sorry.

Can they take my AADvantage MIles I earned with the 50k bonus?

I just checked my Citi TY account and it doesn't say any points are expiring. I earned almost all of my 80,000 TY points through my Citi Prestige Card. I earned 1600 total points through the CitiGold account.

I think I am ok, right? I might lose the 1600, correct?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:47 pm
mia

... I might lose the 1600, correct?
You might lose the 1,600 TYP, but it should have no effect on the AAdvantage miles. They aren't punishing you for closing the account, this is their normal policy.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
You might lose the 1,600 TYP, but it should have no effect on the AAdvantage miles. They aren't punishing you for closing the account, this is their normal policy.
Thank you.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:29 pm

Adding a question that is more relevant to the title of thread:

I closed my CitiGold account about 50 days ago. Yet when I login into my ThankYou account (which is linked to all my sponsor accounts, including the now-closed CitiGold account), there is a message that reads:

"You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"

And when I click "View all expiring points" I can see this:

Should I expect that my TY points will expire at the end of 60 days, despite all the evidence that says otherwise?

Last edited by mizzou1; Mar 25, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
They replied that they are closing the account as requested but that any points earned from the checking account will be forfeited if not used within 60 days.
Originally Posted by mizzou1
Should I expect that my TY points will expire at the end of 60 days, despite all the evidence that says otherwise?
Like other reward programs, this statement only applies if this is your last sponsoring account.

If you have other sponsoring account(s), the normal expiration policy will still apply.

Can they take my AADvantage MIles I earned with the 50k bonus?
AFAIK - Citi does not have a minimum opening period requirement (i.e. you have to keep the account opened for certain time). The 50K AA is yours to keep.

I might lose the 1600, correct?
You will get to keep your 1.6K TY under normal expiration unless you close your Citi Prestige as well.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:12 pm
mia

Originally Posted by garykung
Like other reward programs, this statement only applies if this is your last sponsoring account.

If you have other sponsoring account(s), the normal expiration policy will still apply.
This does not appear to be accurate.

Click: https://www.thankyou.com/tc.jspx?cmp...r|ty-term-cond

Click: Points Expiration, Suspension and Forfeiture

Read:

LOSS OR SUSPENSION OF POINTS

This section tells you when you may not be able to use Points that you've already earned or received.

You Close Your Citi Account. If you have Points, and you voluntarily close your Citi Account, you must use your Points within 60 days after closing your accounts, or you'll lose them.

TIP:

If you have multiple Citi Accounts associated with only one ThankYou Account at the time one of your Citi Accounts is closed, you'll lose only the Points that you earned with the closed Citi Account.
I recommend reading the entire section because it addresses other scenarios where Citi closes your account etc.

Last edited by mia; Mar 25, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
This does not appear to be accurate.
Let's agree to disagree. OP has this to show otherwise as proof:

Per the T&Cs:

Void Where Prohibited by Law. The Program and/or any feature of the Program are void where prohibited by federal, state or local law or regulation and are subject to change as necessary to comply with law or regulation.
When Citi shows this (OP's proof) but says that (T&Cs), regardless how unilateral the T&Cs is, it is a misrepresentation by Citi. Also since the T&Cs is unilateral, its interpretation is in favor of non-drafting party, which is OP in this case.

You are 100% correct per the T&Cs. But due to Citi's misrepresentation, OP will benefit to a later expiration.

OP should retain a print screen in case of issues.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:41 pm

Thanks for all the answers.
But those of you who closed a CitiGold account, do/did you see a similar messages and expiry date in your ThankYou account for the closed CitiGold account?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the answers.
But those of you who closed a CitiGold account, do/did you see a similar messages and expiry date in your ThankYou account for the closed CitiGold account?
OP, although I insist I am correct and I am willing to take on the big banks, I strongly suggest you to read this for your own sake:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...derations.html
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by garykung
OP, although I insist I am correct and I am willing to take on the big banks, I strongly suggest you to read this for your own sake:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...derations.html
I have been following that thread and did not see a case like mine. Thanks anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:16 am
mia

12.31.2019 would be the normal expiration date for banking points earned any time in 2016. This is explained on the same page linked in my previous reply. The terms state that if the account is cancelled the expiration date should change from three years to 60 days. This is either an error in implementing the policy -or- in displaying the expiration date, but either way it is an error.

If the points vanish in 60 days you may be able to have them reinstated by pointing to the screen shot, but it will take some work, and I expect you would then need to redeem them.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia
12.31.2019 would be the normal expiration date for banking points earned any time in 2016. This is explained on the same page linked in my previous reply. The terms state that if the account is cancelled the expiration date should change from three years to 60 days. This is either an error in implementing the policy -or- in displaying the expiration date, but either way it is an error.

If the points vanish in 60 days you may be able to have them reinstated by pointing to the screen shot, but it will take some work, and I expect you would then need to redeem them.
Makes sense. I will let it go beyond 60 days to see what happens.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 2:07 pm
mia

Makes sense. I will let it go beyond 60 days to see what happens.
I would also keep checking to verify that they do not update to show an earlier expiration date. Bear in mind that points earned through banking cannot be transferred to an airline or Hilton, nor shared with another member. You will need to redeem them for airfare or for a giftcard or similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.