FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/965296-benefits-citigold-account-consolidated.html)

UMassCanuck07 Mar 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

I had my Citibank banking accounts upgraded to Citigold recently. As I was running through MEX today, I saw a lounge that had a sign outside that said "Citigold Clients". I went in to inquire and they said that Citigold client plus up to two guests are allowed complimentary access space permitting at the lounge. It was the Mexicana Lounge.

I was never told when I was upgraded that I would have access to airport/airline lounges... Are there others that I have access to now as a Citigold client?

Thanks!

chanp Mar 22, 2009 6:31 pm

Ive had Citigold for years and was never told this. Do you know any specific details (what clubs, etc)?

UMassCanuck07 Mar 23, 2009 8:36 pm

Thats what I was asking :D

I called Citigold and the rep said that he has "heard" in come countries outside of the US there are arrangements for local Citigold clients to use lounges. I guess they just didn't know the difference. By guess here is that Citibank in Mexico must have worked something out with that lounge for access.

The rep did say that he has heard "there is a lounge in Bahrain that allows access to local Citigold clients."...

Hmmmmmmmmmm

On a side not, slightly OT, how do you like Citigold? Any benefits I should expect. The rep from Citibank never explained the benefits to me.

snshahmd Mar 23, 2009 8:40 pm

I was able to use the CitiGold over Asia last year; especially in Bali and Jogja aiport lounges. They would also let other Citi card holder use the lounges however with a small charge; ranging from $5 to $20 per person.

jbalmuth Mar 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07 (Post 11463224)
On a side not, slightly OT, how do you like Citigold? Any benefits I should expect. The rep from Citibank never explained the benefits to me.

The most valuable benefits for us are the free credit cards (all with no annual fees)---- Citibank Aadvantage cards, Diners Club, Citi Premier Pass etc. etc..

jamflyer Mar 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth (Post 11467085)
The most valuable benefits for us are the free credit cards (all with no annual fees)---- Citibank Aadvantage cards, Diners Club, Citi Premier Pass etc. etc..

I think they only waive one of the card fee.

jbalmuth Mar 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jamflyer (Post 11473116)
I think they only waive one of the card fee.

Maybe this is what is currently being advertised, but all of our Citi-issued cards have been free each year.

zlc Mar 25, 2009 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth (Post 11473819)
Maybe this is what is currently being advertised, but all of our Citi-issued cards have been free each year.

I was able to have my AA card and PP Elite cards fees waived, but not the Plat Amex.

Back to OP's topic, how do you prove Citigold status, I don't think there is anything I have that could show me as being a citigold, certainly don't want to carry my bank statement around. :D

UMassCanuck07 Mar 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by zlc (Post 11474238)
I was able to have my AA card and PP Elite cards fees waived, but not the Plat Amex.

Back to OP's topic, how do you prove Citigold status, I don't think there is anything I have that could show me as being a citigold, certainly don't want to carry my bank statement around. :D

I showed them my Citigold debit/banking card.

biggestbopper Mar 25, 2009 11:11 pm

IMHO, as a Citigold account holder, the only even vaguely valuable perk is getting cash at foreign ATMs with no add-on charges.

Oh, yeah, you can also get a wire transfer without paying the usual Citi $25 or so fee (which I got waived anyhow, before I got the gold status). I still wonder why a bank wants to charge me for wire transfering a goodly sum into one of its accounts? :(

I suspect I'll be closing out the gold Citi accounts soon. Original lure was a bonus Thank You point offer which, now, almost a year later, I still haven't got.

Lucky I got all those Citi credit card bonus AA miles to even things out.

Of course, if Gold gets into lounges that might change the situation.

mntblue Mar 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Also free safe deposit box at your local branch.

jbalmuth Mar 27, 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mntblue (Post 11476551)
Also free safe deposit box at your local branch.

....I always thought that the safe deposit box benefit was a "discounted" rate, not free. Do you know if thIs is an advertised benefit --- i.e. do you perhaps have a link to it? Thanks!

Trang Jun 16, 2009 8:09 am

Benefits for being a Citi Gold account holder?

Hello,
I searched and was not clear on this so I'd like to ask for your expertise. I know that as a Citi Gold account holder, you don't have to pay for the annual fees for certain credit cards such as Premier elite and AA advantage. Also, you get 1200 TY (the max) a month for doing business with Citi bank. Are there any other benefits for Citi Gold that I'm not aware of?:confused:
Thanks
Trang

deant Jun 16, 2009 9:21 am

Waiver of foreign exchange fees when using their debit (even as a credit) card.

1 AA mile per point when using the AA debit card.

To me, this is a big deal for foreign travel. Waiving foreign exchange fees and get 1 mile per dollar.

j3brooklyn Jun 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Trang (Post 11915770)
Also, you get 1200 TY (the max) a month for doing business with Citi bank.

Can you give me some more info about the 1200 TY points? I have a Citibank Gold account (checking and savings) as well as a Citibank mortgage but only get 600 TY points per month. I'd be happy to double that if you can tell me how.