Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Yep. I was Gold yesterday and Priority today.
How do you know this? Has your banner changed?

I'm still in my first year and still have the Gold banner. Over 50K in assets but less than 150K
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by joachimm
How do you know this? Has your banner changed?

I'm still in my first year and still have the Gold banner. Over 50K in assets but less than 150K
My banner has changed and the ATM also said Priority rather than Gold.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
I downgraded from Citigold last May after bonus paid, and pulled out most cash ($5000 left in). AF for Prestige hit Oct. 24 still at $350, (good timing!)my banner is completely gone today.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:27 pm

I am still Citigold today even though I only have $51K . I opened my account in mid-September, so I think that is why I was spared the downgrade.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by madbrain
I am still Citigold today even though I only have $51K . I opened my account in mid-September, so I think that is why I was spared the downgrade.
There's always been a 90 day (3 billing cycle) grace period for Citigold funding before the monthly fee kicked in. It'll be interesting to see what happens for you at the 90 day mark since Citigold no longer has a monthly fee. I think you'll be automatically downgraded then since Citigold upgrades (for Citi Priority accounts) are automatic now too (no request needed).

Last edited by WhatWhatTech; Nov 8, 2016 at 1:59 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by madbrain

Same here, converted my account to Citigold in September. Now still shows Citigold with balance $36k.

I do have a question regarding the monthly maintenance fee. It was said in the new Citigold requirement that they would no longer collect the fee after the conversion. Then would I be charge any fee going forward being a Citigold with balance lower than $50k?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by AmexCent
Same here, converted my account to Citigold in September. Now still shows Citigold with balance $36k.

I do have a question regarding the monthly maintenance fee. It was said in the new Citigold requirement that they would no longer collect the fee after the conversion. Then would I be charge any fee going forward being a Citigold with balance lower than $50k?
I think you'll be downgraded to Citi Priority (with a fee) or to a lower account in December since Citigold accounts have a 90 day no fee grace period that's meant to give you time to fund your account. So you're still within the grace period right now. New account holders don't have grace periods since Citigold is now only available as an upgrade for people who already meet the requirements.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
There's always been a 90 day (3 billing cycle) grace period for Citigold funding before the monthly fee kicked in. It'll be interesting to see what happens for you at the 90 day mark since Citigold no longer has a monthly fee. I think you'll be automatically downgraded then since Citigold upgrades (for Citi Priority accounts) are automatic now too (no request needed).
Will see. I was mainly concerned about having a backup debit card that reimburses ATM fees, in case my Fidelity ATM/debit card is lost/eaten by the ATM . That actually happened to me in Thailand a few years ago, was a big pain. I didn't have any other debit card with me at the time. I know better now. I'll be abroad starting this weekend for a while, so downgrade to Priority just before the trip would have been a PITA.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by AmexCent

I have no idea, but please let us know what happens, whether you get charged a fee or not, and when you finally end up getting downgraded.

I have to keep my account opened at least 120 days to get the $600 bonus. The offers terms only require me to keep $50k for the first 30 days, which I have already met. If there is still no monthly fee even with less than $50k, I may withdraw some.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
I think you'll be downgraded to Citi Priority (with a fee) or to a lower account in December since Citigold accounts have a 90 day no fee grace period that's meant to give you time to fund your account. So you're still within the grace period right now. New account holders don't have grace periods since Citigold is now only available as an upgrade for people who already meet the requirements.
FYI, the banker who signed me up for Citigold in September in branch told me when I inquired recently I would get one year of Citigold - good deal if it ends up being true ! I don't have it in writing though, she told me on the phone.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I signed up back when CitiGold was $50k some years ago. My account got shifted to Priority on the 7th as well even though I transferred in a rollover IRA which took me over $200k. The phone rep explained they used a 3-month average and because the IRA transfer didn't complete until Aug 10th... it didn't count.

After I politely/firmly told him to escalate the ticket expressing my unhappiness, I also sent a couple of messages via the web site.

Citi reset my account back to Gold as of Nov 9th.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:20 pm

Does Citi 1099 for $400 cash bonus?

The offer for $400 opening bonus expires on 11/15/16. You can either open Citigold package or Citi Account package which only requires 15K deposit. And my question is ..... will they issue 1099 for the bonus? In the past there was a $600 threshold I believe (and I did get a 1099 once when I used 40K Thank You points, plus I got a $250 referral bonus for referring someone else to open an account -- so the total exceeded $600.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by GoGreen
The offer for $400 opening bonus expires on 11/15/16. You can either open Citigold package or Citi Account package which only requires 15K deposit. And my question is ..... will they issue 1099 for the bonus? In the past there was a $600 threshold I believe (and I did get a 1099 once when I used 40K Thank You points, plus I got a $250 referral bonus for referring someone else to open an account -- so the total exceeded $600.
Yes you will receive a 1099.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: united 1k
my citi gold has not been downgraded automatcially (automatrially , right?) yet. but since this week when I login , there's one line of word showing in the webpage , saying "To avoid a change in your Citigold package please increase your combined average monthly balance to at least $200,000."

anyone knows why? thanks
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Credit cards

Hey all, anyone know if Citi is still offering 'special' credit card deals for Citigold folks? Like in-branch? If so which ones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.