Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: AA
Anyone know whether Citi Priority will still reduce Prestige AF by $100?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by garykung
Unfortunately, my estimate is Citi Priority clients will lose many (or I should say most) benefits that are provided to Citigold.

Citibank has been in-progress to realign its products worldwide. If you look at locations where Citi Priority has been introduced, you will see Citi Priority is basically a basic package with some perks.

My conclusion - I will downgrade my account and pull everything I can to HSBC Premier instead.
Sadly I fear you are right.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by chrisremo
They did for me when I first got the card a year ago.

Citi just rebilled the AF last month, and the charge came in at $350 again.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:40 pm

I need to switch my wife's Citigold into a joint account so we can use those 50k signup points via my prestige redemption value.

Any idea how long it takes once you've gone into the branch ? Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bostonbali

You have the new Citi Priority product? I'm currently still Citigold but I will be Priority after the realignment.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Have any other Citigold account holders tried withdrawing cash (HKD) in Hong Kong branches? If Citi indeed doesn't charge fees, that seems like a better alternative than acquiring HKD while in the US.

I tried Citi chat and they helpfully told me "Please be informed that Citibank operate independently in different countries. As such Citibank Hong Kong will not be able to make any changes in your account or help you with the cash."

But that doesn't seem right...?

Originally Posted by themicah
Citi doesn't rebate ATM owner fees, but with Citigold they don't charge any fees or inflated exchange rates themselves. When I've done shootouts (withdrawing the same amount from the same ATM using different cards in quick succession) I've found that Citi on average (but not 100% of the time) gets me a very slightly better exchange rate than Schwab (I believe Citi does the exchange themselves, whereas Schwab relies on Visa to do the conversion and usually gets the exact same rate as other Visa-based ATM cards I've tried). So my Citi ATM card is my go-to card for cash overseas, unless the ATM charges an owner fee, in which case I'll reach for Schwab first for their ATM fee rebate benefit.
Old post, but thanks for this helpful information. Do you find this remains consistent for overseas Citi-branded ATMs? I don't see why not but this is slightly different than what you experienced.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by ralphs
Have any other Citigold account holders tried withdrawing cash (HKD) in Hong Kong branches? If Citi indeed doesn't charge fees, that seems like a better alternative than acquiring HKD while in the US.

I tried Citi chat and they helpfully told me "Please be informed that Citibank operate independently in different countries. As such Citibank Hong Kong will not be able to make any changes in your account or help you with the cash."

But that doesn't seem right...?
I am Citigold and have used my Citibank ATM card to withdraw cash at CB ATMs in Hong Kong without any issues or fees. Citi CSRs often do not have a good understanding of non-US Citibank operations and read or type standard, generic statements like the one above. I have tried to press to get answers for more country-specific questions, and they don't seem to have information. Having said that, the question about the types of things you can do in branch with a teller or other personnel in another country likely is limited. Also, I have not checked since my trip in February, but my understanding is that ATM owners (at least banks) in Hong Kong and mainland China do not charge ATM fees, so you should be able to use your CB ATM card almost anywhere.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Thank you for sharing, needtoescape. Sad state of affairs that your answer was vastly more helpful than Citigold CSRs.

Did you ever run up against an ATM withdrawal limit at Citibank HK ATMs?

Also, did you ever try to walk into a Citibank HK branch to withdraw cash from a teller instead?

Any other folks willing to chime in would also be appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bostonbali

You have the new Citi Priority product? I'm currently still Citigold but I will be Priority after the realignment.
I believe OP misunderstand the question, given that no one in the U.S. has been switched to Citi Priority yet.

But given my estimate, Citi Priority will lose that $100 AF reduction.

Originally Posted by ralphs
Have any other Citigold account holders tried withdrawing cash (HKD) in Hong Kong branches?
A Citigold client can only make withdrawal from the same country the Citigold account is located.

For others, you must use the ATM. Or, if you are qualified, open a local Citigold account, pair with your existing account and transfer via CGT.

Originally Posted by needtoescape
Citi CSRs often do not have a good understanding of non-US Citibank operations and read or type standard, generic statements like the one above.
Although I only deal with Citibank Hong Kong and the U.S. only, Citibank Hong Kong is one of the worst banks I have ever deal with.

They definitely know how to sell proactively. But as far as customer service, many local banks are doing better.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:46 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I would actually guess it will not. Citi often grandfathers fees. For instance Citigold no longer offers fee-free AA cards or fee-free TYP cards, but mine remain grandfathered at no fee. The Citi system tends to work such that it overrides a current fee. We'll see in November but that is my guess.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
New CITIGOLD benefits?

The concept of "Contract lounges" conflicts with the meaning of the word "proprietary" . My guess is that "proprietary lounges " refer to Citigold lounges at Prague or Mexico city and so on, but none in USA yet. The CITIGOLD centers I went to are fake lounges at best, people should NOT enter those centers even if they walk by for other reasons.

There are rumors about more benefits for CITIGOLD members after November 2016. Coupled with this "proprietary lounges ", we have a lot of things to anticipate and be disappointed again.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:13 pm

Anyone ever get locked out of their online banking after linking a new CG account to it? My password suddenly doesn't work and I can't reset it without my debit card, which is still in the mail.

Called Citi. Said 2 options:

1. Wait 5-7 days for debit card and then change password
2. Create new online banking account and re-link all CCs and CG.

Anyone even encounter this madness!? Oy, if their technical ineptitude didn't work so heavily in our favor I would be more upset. But alas...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Called Citi. Said 2 options:

1. Wait 5-7 days for debit card and then change password
2. Create new online banking account and re-link all CCs and CG.
Strange. I'm surprised they can't fix it on their end for you. Ran into a similar issue at US Bank linking a new checking account to an existing credit card account online, they had it up and running in a few minutes.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ylord789
The concept of "Contract lounges" conflicts with the meaning of the word "proprietary" . My guess is that "proprietary lounges " refer to Citigold lounges at Prague or Mexico city and so on, but none in USA yet. The CITIGOLD centers I went to are fake lounges at best, people should NOT enter those centers even if they walk by for other reasons.
There is a Citigold lounge in NYC. I took some photos of the inside when it opened.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by financialhippie
Strange. I'm surprised they can't fix it on their end for you. Ran into a similar issue at US Bank linking a new checking account to an existing credit card account online, they had it up and running in a few minutes.
I know, right? I might do a HUCA on the way home from work today and try again. Pretty lame honestly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.