FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:46 pm
ralphs

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Have any other Citigold account holders tried withdrawing cash (HKD) in Hong Kong branches? If Citi indeed doesn't charge fees, that seems like a better alternative than acquiring HKD while in the US.

I tried Citi chat and they helpfully told me "Please be informed that Citibank operate independently in different countries. As such Citibank Hong Kong will not be able to make any changes in your account or help you with the cash."

But that doesn't seem right...?

Originally Posted by themicah
Citi doesn't rebate ATM owner fees, but with Citigold they don't charge any fees or inflated exchange rates themselves. When I've done shootouts (withdrawing the same amount from the same ATM using different cards in quick succession) I've found that Citi on average (but not 100% of the time) gets me a very slightly better exchange rate than Schwab (I believe Citi does the exchange themselves, whereas Schwab relies on Visa to do the conversion and usually gets the exact same rate as other Visa-based ATM cards I've tried). So my Citi ATM card is my go-to card for cash overseas, unless the ATM charges an owner fee, in which case I'll reach for Schwab first for their ATM fee rebate benefit.
Old post, but thanks for this helpful information. Do you find this remains consistent for overseas Citi-branded ATMs? I don't see why not but this is slightly different than what you experienced.