Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Datapoint on Citi CC fee waiver

I have had a Citigold account since 2010 (I think), and I have had my Citi AAdvantage Platinum World Mastercard since 2007. I was not charged the annual fee on my card this month, so it appears that AF waivers are grandfathered for people who had a Citigold account and/or opened Citi AA credit cards prior to October 2011 (or some other past date).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Current word is that 2 cards have the annual fee waived for CitiGold members: the AA Plat and the Thank You Premium. I can assure you from personal experience that actually getting the fee waiver (for wife and self) can be a real headache, as the CSRs at Citibank don't seem to know about and try to pass you to the credit card division. Ask to speak to someone at CitiGold and escalate to a supervisor if necessary. They'll have to research it, but you should get the waiver if it hasn't processed automatically.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Current word is that 2 cards have the annual fee waived for CitiGold members: the AA Plat and the Thank You Premium. I can assure you easyfrom personal experience that actually getting the fee waiver (for wife and self) can be a real headache, as the CSRs at Citibank don't seem to know about and try to pass you to the credit card division. Ask to speak to someone at CitiGold and escalate to a supervisor if necessary. They'll have to research it, but you should get the waiver if it hasn't processed automatically.
In my experience it has been simple. I believe a couple of years ago when I linked my citigold and my cards, including SO, my fees have Been automatically waived. each year. The huge irony is I don't like this because I don't get any of the juicy retention offers
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:33 am

what about for the prestige card? fee waived?
so far citi gold has been a joke!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:33 pm

Current word is that 2 cards have the annual fee waived for CitiGold members: the AA Plat and the Thank You Premium. I can assure you from personal experience that actually getting the fee waiver (for wife and self) can be a real headache, as the CSRs at Citibank don't seem to know about and try to pass you to the credit card division. Ask to speak to someone at CitiGold and escalate to a supervisor if necessary. They'll have to research it, but you should get the waiver if it hasn't processed automatically.
Is this still the case? (And do you mean Thank You Premiere?)

What happens if you have more than one AA Plat card?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Is this still the case? (And do you mean Thank You Premiere?)
My experience is that this is over.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:09 am

So the monthly annual fee is waived if your balance (including retirement accounts) is high enough?

Are there any restrictions on what you can hold in the IRA, or is pretty much any mutual fund/stock acceptable?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
$50,000 in any form - checking, saving, retirement accounts, I think that credit lines might also count. All my credit cards were grandfathered in for the fee being waived.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by dgordon
$50,000 in any form - checking, saving, retirement accounts, I think that credit lines might also count. All my credit cards were grandfathered in for the fee being waived.
$50K in Checking/Savings/CDs, or $100K in Retirement acconts / HELOCs, or $250K in Mortgages. Each higher tier can be met with cash balances, if it's just short ($90K HELOC + $10K Checking/Savings/CD), etc.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:06 am

I just checked my accounts. Wife's two Premier cards both had their $125 anniversary service fee, and a $50 AU fee waived. I had one Premier fee waved back in September and have two more Premier and one Preferred card coming up here in a month or two, which I expect will be waived.

We were Gold last year about this time, but canceled account and then started Gold again for wife and I last fall so we both would get the 40K TYP for starting a Gold checking account (which came through as well).

Also confirmed that we each have been receiving 675 TYP per month on our Gold checking accounts.

We have about 62K combined value, though I have been having some difficulty as they have started to charge monthly fee which they have been reversing, and it was due to some issue with their trying to set up the Household account. They are a bit screwed up on that. This month LOL wife's account had fee waived automatically and mine did not, though I have 52K in mine and she has $10K in hers. Time to call again.

On phone with Citi. They are saying I am charged the $30 fee because since I have credit cards that I need to have 100K balance. By that logic if I add a mortgage I would need to have $250K.

They don't see it as $50K in savings/checking or $100K in savings/checking/credit/investment or $250K in savings/checking/credit/investment /mortgage. They are saying if I have these then I must have the higher amount!

This can't be correct. LOL, they also told me I had avg balance of $49K during the month when I started with $53K had two $500 withdrawals and ended at $52K.

This is such as screwed up company, but mucho miles and points.

Last edited by FlyingBoat; May 4, 2013 at 5:55 am
Old May 4, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
How does Citi Card get to know if card holders have the citi gold A/C?
I think I may not have given my bank A/Cs info when I applied for the cards.
Do they check it by SS#?
Registered address should be matched for bank A/C and CCs?
Old May 4, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
How does Citi Card get to know if card holders have the citi gold A/C?
I think I may not have given my bank A/Cs info when I applied for the cards.
Do they check it by SS#?
Registered address should be matched for bank A/C and CCs?
My Relationship Manager coded my cards when I became gold.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:59 am

I also got the annual fee on my Premier TYP card waived this past billing cycle. This directly contradicts what I was told by numerous CSRs, including supervisors, through phone calls and secure messaging. Not that I'm complaining, but I wish they'd get their act together.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I just checked my accounts. Wife's two Premier cards both had their $125 anniversary service fee, and a $50 AU fee waived. I had one Premier fee waved back in September and have two more Premier and one Preferred card coming up here in a month or two, which I expect will be waived.

We were Gold last year about this time, but canceled account and then started Gold again for wife and I last fall so we both would get the 40K TYP for starting a Gold checking account (which came through as well).

Also confirmed that we each have been receiving 675 TYP per month on our Gold checking accounts.

We have about 62K combined value, though I have been having some difficulty as they have started to charge monthly fee which they have been reversing, and it was due to some issue with their trying to set up the Household account. They are a bit screwed up on that. This month LOL wife's account had fee waived automatically and mine did not, though I have 52K in mine and she has $10K in hers. Time to call again.

On phone with Citi. They are saying I am charged the $30 fee because since I have credit cards that I need to have 100K balance. By that logic if I add a mortgage I would need to have $250K.

They don't see it as $50K in savings/checking or $100K in savings/checking/credit/investment or $250K in savings/checking/credit/investment /mortgage. They are saying if I have these then I must have the higher amount!

This can't be correct. LOL, they also told me I had avg balance of $49K during the month when I started with $53K had two $500 withdrawals and ended at $52K.

This is such as screwed up company, but mucho miles and points.
Improper householding on your account package. It's a super easy fix (I do it all the time), but SO many bankers and CSRs are clueless about it.

If you have $50K in ANY single deposit account, or any combination of deposit accounts, then you should be fine, if it's properly linked. That is avg balance though, so if you have $50K 29 days out of the month, and $45K one day, they'll ding you.
Old May 4, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I also got the annual fee on my Premier TYP card waived this past billing cycle. This directly contradicts what I was told by numerous CSRs, including supervisors, through phone calls and secure messaging. Not that I'm complaining, but I wish they'd get their act together.
Do you mind clarifying when you got your Premier TYP card? It sounds like you have to have the card prior to october or november 2011 to get the waiver - is this true for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.