Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
They tell you which cards are applicable.....
As a Citigold® member, your annual fee is waived on a choice of credit and debit cards. Here's how much you'll save:
Savings per year on cards:
Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® $85
Citi PremierPass® Card ? Elite Level $75
Premium Citibank® / AAdvantage® debit card1 $65
Free Citibank® Debit MasterCard®, with enrollment of your checking account in Citi® ThankYou® Rewards2 N/A
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:02 am

Assuming 2.4% after-tax interest(high-yield checking), $50K will earn you $100 interest/month, not worth it.

Even if you park $50K at bankdirect, you'll get 5K*12=60K AA miles per year, worth > $600? (no tax)
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:15 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by chespeak2002
Assuming 2.4% after-tax interest(high-yield checking), $50K will earn you $100 interest/month, not worth it.

Even if you park $50K at bankdirect, you'll get 5K*12=60K AA miles per year, worth > $600? (no tax)
Depending on what you do with the miles, it can be "worth" much more than $600!

LAX
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:47 am
In memoriam

I had a Citigold account. I dropped it. Not worth tying up $100K (then) or $50K (now).

And, the monthly fee, if you pay it, has gone from $25 to $30.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Parking $50k of an IRA investment account (stocks, bonds, mutual funds), is an obvious alternative. Citi Personal Wealth Management is the new name for the old Smith Barney brokerage, and I find that it's pretty painless to use online (for infrequent trading).
Are you sure Citi Personal Wealth Management is the new name for Smith Barney? Isn't it Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? If I have over 50k in retirement funds with Morgan Stanley Smith Barney can I get these offers? All my advisor talks about is the FMA cards.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by boilers
Are you sure Citi Personal Wealth Management is the new name for Smith Barney? Isn't it Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? If I have over 50k in retirement funds with Morgan Stanley Smith Barney can I get these offers? All my advisor talks about is the FMA cards.
I transferred an IRA over to Citi a few years ago specifically to fulfill the Citigold minimum balances. It was initially placed into a Smith Barney account, then migrated to a website that read Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, and then some time last year was migrated (involuntarily) to a website titled Citi Personal Wealth Management. The IRA Custodian on my account is listed as Citigroup Global Markets, Inc.. I don't know the historical migration patterns of various retirement accounts, but I'm quite certain that IRAs currently under Citigroup management count towards the minimum Citigold balances.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Morgan Stanley-Smith Barney used to be the affiliated brokerage account for CB; Wealth Management is now the ba.
If you have securities, you can transfer them into CB, as a custodian, to meet the minimum requirement for free CitiGold.
With CiitGold, if you use your linked atm card, they will reimburse you for the fees (up to $5/transaction, 6 times a month).
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler
Smile

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
The normally-blue design elements on the citi.com website become gold. So, there's that.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:43 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by LAX
What are some other benefits for Citigold besides the CC annual fee waiver? Is it worth parking $50K there?

LAX
I don't see mention of it on the CitiGold site, but a branch told me a free safe deposit box was one of the CitiGold benefits.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
You get a free safe deposit box and reduced cost (no cost?) wire transfers. Snore.... ooops, I'm putting myself to sleep.

Also, the Citibank website stays gold, even after you log out! So, when you retype www.citibankonline.com later on from the same computer, you get greeted with the gold instead of the blue!

Also, the ATM card used to be clearly differentiated from normal Citi ATM cards, but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. A couple of years ago, they issued a debit MasterCard in lieu of an ATM card-- now, it is in semi-translucent brown/orange and looks like something that would store food stamp credits.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by LGA
I don't see mention of it on the CitiGold site, but a branch told me a free safe deposit box was one of the CitiGold benefits.
Now, chase bank offer 25k+25k CO miles for new business account and personal account. I opened a business account and a FREE premium personal account with a free safe deposit box. What I should do is purchase five times per month to waive business monthly fee.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:27 am

I have an old 401k from my previous employer that should cover for the requirement. I was thinking of rolling it over to vanguard but would not mind moving to cb. The thing is that I already have a pwm account through another bank (employee based) which offers pretty much every thing(no forex or atm fees) except AA miles. Does the premium aa debit card offer any extra warranties/ protection, paypass etc? To make it worth while to go through that effort?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:20 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
[Citigold] and new Citi cards [fee waiver] questions

When I logged onto to my citigold acct today and tried to access my linked thank you credit cards, a screen popped up, giving info about some of their new cards (and the ability to convert on line); a grid can be obtained comparing the new cards. One of the perks (for the highest level card) 15% off both domestic and intl travel, the next lower card, has the discount only for domestic--this seems like a good deal(?)
They don't mention fees in that grid, but from another search, the highest level one is $500/yr and $125/yr for the next lowest.
Does Ciitigold waive the fees for both of these?
I tried logging back to citibank.com, but the upgrade screen did not re-appear.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
... some of their new cards (and the ability to convert on line)...
Discussion of the three new cards is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-prestige.html

Discussion of the conversion process is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...nversions.html

Comparison of new Premier level versus discontinued PremierPass Elite is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...er-2010-a.html

Comparison of new Prestige level versus Chairman card is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-chairman.html

Last edited by mia; Jan 19, 2011 at 6:25 am
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by nrr
One of the perks (for the highest level card) 15% off both domestic and intl travel, the next lower card, has the discount only for domestic--this seems like a good deal(?)
supplied by spirit incentives -- who also supply the companion airfare thing. Ever gotten that to work? I haven't.

Originally Posted by nrr
I tried logging back to citibank.com, but the upgrade screen did not re-appear.
https://www.upgrade.thankyoucard.citi.com/

but not hurry, they will send you a letter explaining your fate. if your annual fee is less, then you should just let them do it via letter. if you use the site, you pay the fee it tells you. If you get the letter, you pay the fee you presently do.

-- I don't know about the citigold benefits or how they will impact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.