Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Citigold TY Point Earning schedule to change

I noticed that as of December 9, Citi is changing the # of TY points we'll earn on our accounts - see here.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Does anybody know whether there is a limit to the # of credit cards for which you can get your annual fee waived as a Citigold member?

I'm looking at getting a few different TYP credit cards for my wife and I. Each carries a $125 annual fee.

I already got one card's fee waived - not sure if I can get annual fees from all cards waived.

Thoughts/personal experiences?

Bostonbali
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I have had a citigold checking account for a very long time (when they actually charged a fee to have it) and they didn't limit the cards you could have so I am not sure what would happen now. I have several cards. What I would do if I were you is apply for the cards as if you don't have a citigold account. Most have the first year fee waived anyway. Then when the fee shows up call to say that the fee is suppose to be waived because you are citigold. It seems to me that each card fee is treated on its own. The card company checks with citibank to verify that you are citigold. They have never come back saying that I have too many cards. By the way I have more than one citigold acccount and they haven't come back saying that I have too many. All for the one minimum amount required for one. Worse comes to worse, if they aren't willing to waive the fee after a year - then you cancel the card. BTW they are not all $125. The AA mc is $85 I think.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA,UA, BA, DAL, FB
Fee waivers ended for Citigold customers

CitiGold customers used to get a credit card fee waiver. No muss, no fuss, no phone calls. The annual fee was waived. Was on the phone with them today on another matter and just found out that as of 10/16/11, CitiGold will no longer offer fee waivers. Bummer! Of course, you can still call up and possibly get the annual fee reversed, waived, etc. but it's not automatic.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Based on personal experience, I hope that this information is incorrect. One of my Citi cards had its annual fee systematically waived on Oct. 18 and another card had its annual fee waived on Nov. 14. Both cards are Citi AAdvantage Mastercards. I don't believe that I've received any mailing indicating that the benefit was being removed, and nothing in my (albeit limited) experience with Citi leads me to believe that they would act stupidly (e.g. deliberately alienate their better customers, who have so many alternatives for their accounts). Let's hope that no change is being implemented... or that any change being considered is only around new clients, and not the existing customer base.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:52 pm
In memoriam

I had a Citigold account for a while.

I was unable to find any advantage at all to having it--once they canned the no forex charge at overseas ATM benefit.

And, you had to tie up a hundred grand at zilcho interest.

Interestingly, when I went into my branch to complain about Citi's recent plan to charge me a monthly fee on my (non-Gold) account I was told they had in-branch deals (not advertised or on-line) with no fees and no minimum balance.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Here is a link stating otherwise.

https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/h...dCitigoldPhone
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by somdave2005
Do you know if you can get the $450 Executive Card annual fee waived with Citigold? (I think that's the one that includes Admiral's Club membership)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I was unable to find any advantage at all to having it--once they canned the no forex charge at overseas ATM benefit.
When did they start charging forex fees on ATM withdrawals? I haven't been overseas in a while, but I've never gotten notice of any change.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:56 pm
In memoriam

It has been at least a couple of years. And there was plenty of the usual small print notice from Citi.

The change is one reason I opened a bank account at Schwab which offers true no fee ATM use overseas as well as in the US.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:29 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I have a Citi Private Bank account (whose benefits are somewhat in line with Citigold), and I believe that while they did impose forex fees a few years ago, Citi reversed themselves and it is currently waived. I just checked the Citi marketplace addendum online to confirm.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:16 pm
In memoriam

Could be they have gone back to fee waivers. Citi is a big fan of the confuse the customers school of marketing.

I do know that I got charged a tad over three bucks when I took out $100 cash from an ATM at a Citi branch in BKK a few months ago using a Citi ATM card.

They did waive it when I called up but assured me it was charged in accord with Citi policy.

On the other hand, Citi does not add on the rip off five dollar charge the Thai banks now have for foreigners' ATM card withdrawals of cash (apparently foreign banks in Thai are the only exceptions to this rip).

So my new Thailand policy is to get cash from Citi ATMs but do it using my Schwab card.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:15 pm

Citi ThankYou Premier not waiving annual fee for Citigold members

Hello, just wanted to find out if any citigold members are now being charged annual fee for Citi Thankyou Premier?

I thought it was waived but just called today and was told that benefit is over.

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Also reported here:

[moderator edit: remove circular link after merge]

Look at note 3 on the following page:

https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...do?ID=Citigold

It says that they are waiving the fee for Citigold.

Last edited by mia; Jan 2, 2012 at 10:56 am
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:46 am

Thanks.

It's still confusing because while 3 says waive annual fee it doesn't state which credit card. I think that was a type on their website.

When I called citigold they said they are not waiving annual fees for premier...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.