Last edit by: mia
Card closed for new applicants. Information here: https://citi.com/citiprestige
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige discontinued (USA).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lsquare
That's my understanding as well. Good thing I got it when it was still possible. I'll be keeping this card for the foreseeable future.
Originally Posted by gnomey
interesting. Citi is really quirky
i was just about to downgrade mine (i have two) but maybe i should only PC one of them since it's a irreversible process
I got rid of mine. Citi transfers aren't reliably instant like MRs. I get 5xMR on Airfare via Plat, 4xDining on Gold is acceptable. The lack of trip insurance just wasn't there either.

I do have some slight regrets about not keeping it because it was my main MC World Elite card, but I think Visa + Amex is enough for now.

4NF was amazing while it lasted, but the portal sucks.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I still have one, too, and have been debating whether to keep it or not. Weren't there rumors of 4NF being revamped again and/or being booked differently?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
I still have one, too, and have been debating whether to keep it or not. Weren't there rumors of 4NF being revamped again and/or being booked differently?
Considering the way Chairman cards have been left by the wayside, I imagine any revamps would apply to a new card/product, not an existing card that nobody can get (or they'd reopen applications then).
dw likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Considering the way Chairman cards have been left by the wayside, I imagine any revamps would apply to a new card/product, not an existing card that nobody can get (or they'd reopen applications then).
What's that?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What's that?
Chairman Card was the predecessor of Prestige: Citi Chairman to Prestige transition (2013)
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:01 pm

I got rid of mine. Citi transfers aren't reliably instant like MRs. I get 5xMR on Airfare via Plat, 4xDining on Gold is acceptable. The lack of trip insurance just wasn't there either.

I do have some slight regrets about not keeping it because it was my main MC World Elite card, but I think Visa + Amex is enough for now.

the problem is amex is not well accepted once outside of US.

and mastercard in general have better exchange rate than visa ime (1% difference, not big, but adds up over time).

so in general i think it's good to have visa + mc + amex to cover "all bases" .

i carry all 3 when traveling abroad, so that if one fails or not accepted, the other will work.

end up using mc typically due to xe.

Originally Posted by js1993
yeah tough decision. i think i will still hold on to at least one.
lsquare and Blackheath like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:14 pm

and mastercard in general have better exchange rate than visa ime (1% difference, not big, but adds up over time).
Yeah, the Amex thing didn't cross my mind until about a month after I'd already changed the card into a Double Cash, and also the MasterCard Concierge is actually quite good.

That being said, I have a Venture X, so if push comes to shove, I will take 2x Capital One vs. 5x TYP, and the ~3% difference on a couple hundred bucks of (international) meals a year is maybe worth $15-20 or so at best (and then I'm back to having to juggle a 4th transferrable currency).
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:41 pm

This is still my daily driver. Most of my money is on restaurants and I book a bunch of client expenses on Expedia which this gives 5x. Also have a huge stash of Amex MR so this is nice to diversify.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:55 pm

Amex is probably accepted by ~30% of the merchants in east Asia, and many don't accept Amex in digital wallets (while accepting MC/Visa).

I've never seen exchange rate with such a consistent difference among the networks. For example, here are some datapoints on a recent trip to Japan (I've limited to charges that also posted on the same day):

Day 1
- Amex: 146.55
- Chase Ink: 146.52
- Citi Prestige: 146.67

Day 2
- Chase Ink: 146.59
- Citi Prestige: 146.58
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, the Amex thing didn't cross my mind until about a month after I'd already changed the card into a Double Cash, and also the MasterCard Concierge is actually quite good.

That being said, I have a Venture X, so if push comes to shove, I will take 2x Capital One vs. 5x TYP, and the ~3% difference on a couple hundred bucks of (international) meals a year is maybe worth $15-20 or so at best (and then I'm back to having to juggle a 4th transferrable currency).
AMEX acceptance is a major problem outside the US. I have a CSR and Citi Prestige to make sure I'm covered. It's working pretty well so far!
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:52 pm

AMEX acceptance is a major problem outside the US. I have a CSR and Citi Prestige to make sure I'm covered. It's working pretty well so far!
Man, now you're making me rethink dropping the card haha. Oh well, too late for that.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Man, now you're making me rethink dropping the card haha. Oh well, too late for that.
I've had issues with Chase in Malaysia. I posted on FT about it. I think it's important to have backup cards when abroad. There's a credit on the Prestige that makes the AF much more easier to stomach.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 12:39 am

I've had issues with Chase in Malaysia. I posted on FT about it. I think it's important to have backup cards when abroad. There's a credit on the Prestige that makes the AF much more easier to stomach.
Are you having issue with Chase or Visa cards? Quite a few transportation companies (JR East/Suica, Taiwan Highspeed Rail, Grab and other taxis in Singapore) flat out reject all Visa cards or automatically decline CNP transactions. This made my Chase IHG the best card for those spending (5x IHG points).

Having Citi Gold definitely makes keeping Prestige much easier with the $145 credit and the pretty consistent retention bonus.
lsquare and ACK1 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Are you having issue with Chase or Visa cards? Quite a few transportation companies (JR East/Suica, Taiwan Highspeed Rail, Grab and other taxis in Singapore) flat out reject all Visa cards or automatically decline CNP transactions. This made my Chase IHG the best card for those spending (5x IHG points).

Having Citi Gold definitely makes keeping Prestige much easier with the $145 credit and the pretty consistent retention bonus.
I only used Chase Visas in Malaysia so I don't know if it's a Visa issue or not.

I actually used my Chase Hyatt Visa with Grab in Singapore earlier this month...
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Amex is probably accepted by ~30% of the merchants in east Asia, and many don't accept Amex in digital wallets (while accepting MC/Visa).

I've never seen exchange rate with such a consistent difference among the networks. For example, here are some datapoints on a recent trip to Japan (I've limited to charges that also posted on the same day):

Day 1
- Chase Ink: 146.52
- Citi Prestige: 146.67

Day 2
- Chase Ink: 146.59
- Citi Prestige: 146.58
thanks for the DP . I will look out the next time I m in asia

the most recent encounter I observe this 1% difference was when charging ZAR
ithinkurdumb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.