Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Card closed for new applicants. Information here: https://citi.com/citiprestige
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige discontinued (USA).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by 355F1
I agree with all of this. I use the AMEX Blue Business card for my daily 2x spend, AMEX for airfare & Lounge access, Prestige for warranty, restuarants, and airfare....
What warranty benefit does the Prestige still have?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Extra 2 years, and the real differentiator (based on my calls with Citi) is that it covers purchases made abroad even if they have no U.S. domestic warranty.
Nevsky likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:49 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Nevsky
2 years additional.
Nevsky likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I'd love some communication from Citi on the future direction of their credit card biz. If they're refreshing the Prestige, then great, I'm happy to keep my card for a year, but if it's "we're giving up on the luxury/premium market" then ideally I can go downgrade my card to a Custom Cash before my fee posts at the end of September.
I'm in the same boat as you. I am keeping an eye open but it looks bad so far. my annual fee posts soon and i think I might have to downgrade to the premier. I can't close the card because its one of my if not my oldest card and one of my top higher limits if not itdbe gone.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:22 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Businessweek has a good piece this week where they interview the new Citi CEO on her efforts to turn the bank around. Current focus seems to be on wealth management and commercial banking for mid sized businesses, not retail banking, and they’re looking to divest unprofitable retail banking operations abroad.

It has seemed that Chase’s whole play (still tbd on how successful they have been) with the Sapphire Reserve was to try and sell cardholders on other retail banking products.

I guess the question is, what would be Citi’s play in relaunching the Prestige or another premium card, if such a card may be only marginally profitable (if at all) for them? Their US retail banking presence has been shrinking so it wouldn’t be an attempt at cross selling through that channel.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dw
I guess the question is, what would be Citi’s play in relaunching the Prestige or another premium card, if such a card may be only marginally profitable (if at all) for them?
Citi has no plan relaunching any premium cards.

Setting aside Citi's cheapskate culture, the issue is premium card product line has not yield as many profits as expected. On the other hand, Costco has become a decent profit for Citi, even facing competition. There is no point to do that.

Originally Posted by dw
Their US retail banking presence has been shrinking so it wouldn’t be an attempt at cross selling through that channel.
Citi US retail banking has not been shrinking. Instead, it look shrinking because while others are expanding, Citi remains unchanged.

Citi is still the old Citi - not suitable for anyone.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dw
I guess the question is, what would be Citi’s play in relaunching the Prestige or another premium card, if such a card may be only marginally profitable (if at all) for them?
To try to generate some sort of halo effect for contemporary market appeal. At some point perhaps Citi may not want to end up looking like it is the banking equivalent of Old Pa/Grandpa's Olds while the hot, new stuff is anything but its brand. As it is now, even many Citi customers refer to the bank by a word that makes Citi seem lousy and more suitable for the loo than for something to be appreciated.

I've been a Citi customer going back decades -- they had covered my family and I well for personal banking needs in North America, South America, Europe and Asia. If not for the past relationship and lethargy, I doubt Citi would be very high on my radar for personal banking needs. On the other hand, their credit card products don't really float my boat and haven't since they pulled the feature of earning Flight Points from flights paid for using applicable Citi TYP-earning card at the time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 22, 2021 at 5:14 am
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
To try to generate some sort of halo effect for contemporary market appeal. At some point perhaps Citi may not want to end up looking like it is the banking equivalent of Old Pa/Grandpa's Olds while the hot, new stuff is anything but its brand. As it is now, even many Citi customers refer to the bank by a word that makes Citi seem lousy and more suitable for the loo than for something to be appreciated.

I've been a Citi customer going back decades -- they had covered my family and I well for personal banking needs in North America, South America, Europe and Asia. If not for the past relationship and lethargy, I doubt Citi would be very high on my radar for personal banking needs. On the other hand, their credit card products don't really float my boat and haven't since they pulled the feature of earning Flight Points from flights paid for using applicable Citi TYP-earning card at the time.
The Citi Prestige is still a very good card. I have it. It's a shame that it's not publicly available anymore.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
The Citi Prestige is still a very good card. I have it. It's a shame that it's not publicly available anymore.
Citi had plenty of great cards. Its cheapskate culture is what makes these products EOL.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by garykung
Citi had plenty of great cards. Its cheapskate culture is what makes these products EOL.
Citi went from being extremely generous -- at least to the consumer game masters -- to being the corporate personification of ennui in the credit card game.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-gold, Hyatt - glob, HH - Gold, Marriott -Gold
Have you contacted citi? Asked about a retention bonus to make keeping the card worthwhile? Sometimes they give you information about the plans for the card when you call.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Citi went from being extremely generous -- at least to the consumer game masters -- to being the corporate personification of ennui in the credit card game.
Historically they've sort of gone in cycles. They may come around again. That being said, their current offerings are still pretty decent for an ecosystem - they just don't have a $500ish halo card.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
well my annual fee has hit and if im honest i dont know what to do, i think im going to try calling to see if there is a retention offer on the account.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-gold, Hyatt - glob, HH - Gold, Marriott -Gold
Any luck on a retention offer?
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:47 am

My $495 AF hit earlier this month and I'm going to call soon and try for retention. After the $250 annual credit I look at this card as costing me $245. I actually valued the Priority Pass on this card as it got my family of 4 into PP lounges including the restaurants. All of the lounges and restaurants have been removed from Priority Pass in LAX so this is pretty much useless. I liked the 5X on dining but at my annual restaurant spend of $10k, that would only be 10K more points than the next best card I have which is 4X with the AMEX Gold or Altitude Go. I haven't used the 4th night free in years, so that extra 10K TYP is costing me $245. Unless I get a decent retention offer (unlikely), it looks like I will be cancelling this card. I am CitiGold, but only got it this year so I don't qualify for the reduced annual fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.