FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Card closed for new applicants. Information here: https://citi.com/citiprestige
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige discontinued (USA).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 355F1
With the confirmed changes of the AMEX Platinum (last month) and Chase Sapphire Reserve (today)......what in the world is Citi going to do for the higher-end credit card market.....???

I can't believe we have zero rumors from the Internet yet!
What are you expecting anyway?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'd love some communication from Citi on the future direction of their credit card biz. If they're refreshing the Prestige, then great, I'm happy to keep my card for a year, but if it's "we're giving up on the luxury/premium market" then ideally I can go downgrade my card to a Custom Cash before my fee posts at the end of September.
355F1 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:20 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by garykung
What are you expecting anyway?

I don’t really know.

I already have the AMEX PLT, CSR, and the Citi Prestige…

I’m HOPING Citi refreshes the Prestige? Or comes out with a new high-end card?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I don’t really know.

I’m HOPING Citi refreshes the Prestige? Or comes out with a new high-end card?
If Citi would do something, it would have done something already, other than promoting Custom Cash.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by garykung
If Citi would do something, it would have done something already, other than promoting Custom Cash.
Now likely isn't the best time to be launching a new travel-based card, if that is indeed their plan.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
"we're giving up on the luxury/premium market"
Unlike the Prestige, I *think* the AA Exec card gets a lot of traction.
dw and Adelphos like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:45 pm

Given the recent changes in this class of cards, I'm coming around to the view that there's no reason to keep all three of these cards.

I think the move for people who have all three is to keep the Amex Platinum and the Citi Prestige and downgrade the Chase Sapphire Reserve to the Sapphire Preferred. The Amex Platinum will earn five points on airfare with travel insurance that is almost as good as the CSR's, the Citi Prestige will earn five points on restaurants and three on hotels while providing a Priority Pass membership that includes airport restaurants, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred will earn two points on other travel and provide primary car rental coverage, plus other benefits like three points on online grocery and streaming. Supplement those cards with a no-fee card that earns 1.5 or 2 points on unbonused in your loyalty currency of choice (Freedom Unlimited for Ultimate Rewards, Double Cash for ThankYou, or Blue Business Plus for Membership Rewards) and you've got a pretty comprehensive portfolio that maximizes point earnings while still giving you nearly all of the benefit of all three high-end cards.

I never thought I'd get to a point where I'd consider the Prestige to be a better value than the Sapphire Reserve, but it seems awfully hard to keep the Reserve when Chase has increased the annual fee and made the Preferred more compelling.
Adelphos and 355F1 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by DCAview
Given the recent changes in this class of cards, I'm coming around to the view that there's no reason to keep all three of these cards.

I think the move for people who have all three is to keep the Amex Platinum and the Citi Prestige and downgrade the Chase Sapphire Reserve to the Sapphire Preferred. The Amex Platinum will earn five points on airfare with travel insurance that is almost as good as the CSR's, the Citi Prestige will earn five points on restaurants and three on hotels while providing a Priority Pass membership that includes airport restaurants, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred will earn two points on other travel and provide primary car rental coverage, plus other benefits like three points on online grocery and streaming. Supplement those cards with a no-fee card that earns 1.5 or 2 points on unbonused in your loyalty currency of choice (Freedom Unlimited for Ultimate Rewards, Double Cash for ThankYou, or Blue Business Plus for Membership Rewards) and you've got a pretty comprehensive portfolio that maximizes point earnings while still giving you nearly all of the benefit of all three high-end cards.

I never thought I'd get to a point where I'd consider the Prestige to be a better value than the Sapphire Reserve, but it seems awfully hard to keep the Reserve when Chase has increased the annual fee and made the Preferred more compelling.
I was going to apply for Citi Prestige later this year, but the card is gone.

The decision depends on how much you spend on
1) Dining
2) Grocery
3) Other Travel

I spend a lot on all three of these categories - a lot of restaurant/bar tabs, and a lot of Uber. Theoretically I could make an Amex Platinum (5x airfare), Amex Gold (4x dining and grocery) and Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x travel) all work. As of right now I am putting dining on various 3x cards (Freedom Unlimited, Citi Premier, soon Chase Sapphire Preferred), grocery on Citi Premier when there isn’t a quarterly promotion, and Uber/Lyft on Apple Card/Freedom Flex/CSP (regular yellow cab, subway, Amtrak, etc)

Probably the better solution is to spend less on dining and Uber and stick with my current setup
Old Aug 13, 2021, 9:48 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

I agree with all of this. I use the AMEX Blue Business card for my daily 2x spend, AMEX for airfare & Lounge access, Prestige for warranty, restuarants, and airfare, and I only have the CSR for the SUB last year--I will be cancelling this card upon renewal. I have the Chase Ink Preferred to keep my Chase Points.

I typically transfer all of my points to SQ for J to Asia a couple times per year so every currency transfers all the same.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:37 am

Scrap the CSP and get the Ink Preferred. 3x on misc travel and ability to transfer points. That's my current setup.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott

I'm keeping Prestige, Altitude Reserve and Hilton Aspire, and downgrading CSR. I cancelled my Platinum 2 years ago. Also planning on cancelling Amex Gold and replacing it with Amex EDP, or just using my existing Citi Premier. I don't like coupon books from Amex anymore.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I was going to apply for Citi Prestige later this year, but the card is gone.

The decision depends on how much you spend on
1) Dining
2) Grocery
3) Other Travel

I spend a lot on all three of these categories - a lot of restaurant/bar tabs, and a lot of Uber. Theoretically I could make an Amex Platinum (5x airfare), Amex Gold (4x dining and grocery) and Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x travel) all work. As of right now I am putting dining on various 3x cards (Freedom Unlimited, Citi Premier, soon Chase Sapphire Preferred), grocery on Citi Premier when there isn’t a quarterly promotion, and Uber/Lyft on Apple Card/Freedom Flex/CSP (regular yellow cab, subway, Amtrak, etc)

Probably the better solution is to spend less on dining and Uber and stick with my current setup
Get a Brex account, you will be able to get 8x on rideshare and 4x on dining.
toofast likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m
Scrap the CSP and get the Ink Preferred. 3x on misc travel and ability to transfer points. That's my current setup.
That's my plan too.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:05 pm

I have the Citi prestige in the UAE and it’s not discontinued. Also, we still have unlimited 4th nights free until now.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ramiraw
I have the Citi prestige in the UAE and it’s not discontinued. Also, we still have unlimited 4th nights free until now.
The US market Citi Presitge card is different than the UAE market’s Citi Prestige card. The UAE market Citi Prestige card:

https://www.citibank.ae/uae/consumer.../citi-prestige

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.