FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

iowa guy Jan 9, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30632831)
Citi could care less. DW and I used to each get 2 Exec cards at the same time, with a min spnd of $10K on each card. We would each get $5K of GCs at CVS, 4 days in a row, and be done with the entire $40K min spnd in just 4 days. Never heard a word from Citi.

:confused: who what where when why how which way did he go which way did he go:confused:

How on this planet, or any other, do you spend $40k at CVS?

RobertHanson Jan 9, 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30633012)
:confused: who what where when why how which way did he go which way did he go:confused:

Oh, come on, like you've never bought $40K worth of candy at CVS. :)

Back in the day, CVS would let you buy $5K of Vanilla Visa gift cards per 24 hours. We would go in together and buy $5K each; so $10K a day. 24 hours later repeat that. Four days later we'd done our entire $10K per card min spnd, ($10K x 4 cards = $40K) and we'd get our 100K AA miles per card (400K total) deposited in our AA accounts as soon as the statement closed, which was often as little as a week after we got the cards in the mail. Then we'd deposit the $40K of GCs into Blue Bird, and later Redbird, (may they rest in peace), and use that to pay off the balance on the cards.

If you find that incredible, I might add that as soon as the miles showed up in the AA accounts, we'd cancel the cards, meaning we didn't need to even pay the very high AFs, since the cards were cancelled before the AFs were due. We did this over and over again, until Citi changed the rules, and eventually discontinued the card. But they never said a single bad word to us. In fact Citi is still to this day giving us more AA cards every 33 days

Those were the days.... :)

VegasGambler Jan 9, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30633012)

He's talking about manufactured spending (I assume). There's a whole forum to discuss this but the main idea is that you buy gift cards that can be liquidated for cash. Example: Buy a visa gift card (from, possibly, CVS) and then use that gift card to purchase a money order which you deposit back into your bank account. You are out the gift card fees and the money order purchase fee. I've never done this and I'm not recommending it (at least not without researching it -- there are pitfalls) but that's the main idea. There is a lot of info in the manufactured spend forum if you are interested.

I'm not doing anything like that. I'm just paying my rent with my credit card, through a payment service. Because a single rent payment is more than the minimum spend requirement, my question was, does Citi care if I open a credit card, make a single large charge to get the bonus, and never charge anything else to the card? Or, should I throw them the occasional bit of "regular" spend, just so it's not 1 purchase per credit card?

SeeBuyFly Jan 9, 2019 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30633195)
He's talking about manufactured spending (I assume). There's a whole forum to discuss this...

Yes! There is! Which means that...

LWT3 Jan 9, 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30633178)
as soon as the miles showed up in the AA accounts, we'd cancel the cards, meaning we didn't need to even pay the very high AFs, since the cards were cancelled before the AFs were due. We did this over and over again, until Citi changed the rules, and eventually discontinued the card. But they never said a single bad word to us. In fact Citi is still to this day giving us more AA cards every 33 days

Those were the days.... :)

And those cards came with a statement credit of $200, so Citi literally paid you to take the miles. Hard to top that. Vanilla Reload, we hardly knew ye.

bigboy61 Jan 9, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30629137)
It's simple. Citi sees 50k+10k offers as 60k offers. Maximum match on that would be 15k, for a total of 75k. Nothing new there.

The problem actually appears to be on our end. If you look at most of the DPs (and their followup posts) carefully, you can see that most of the extras less than 15k have been the result of poor wording. "Can you match my offer to 70k?" "Sure, you've got a 60k offer, so we'll just add 10k more points."

The solution to this is also simple. Never ask for anything less than 75k. That way, no matter what the max match you can get is, you'll get it. Don't mention how many extra miles you think you should get, don't mention what your current offer is. Don't allow any room for confusion. Just ask for 75k miles.

As someone stated above, Citi is looking at the maximum bonus amount. Considering the 50k/$3k spend + 10k/$6 offer, you need to assume they are looking at the 60k offer when you ask for a match. If you ask to be matched to 65k, they will only give you 5k more because the 60k max bonus + 5k courteous match = 65k. If you want the whole 15k, you need to ask to be matched to the 75k offer.

geclub1 Jan 9, 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30633178)
... eventually discontinued the card.

Slightly incorrect. That card is still very much alive.

RobertHanson Jan 9, 2019 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 30634089)
Slightly incorrect. That card is still very much alive.

With a 100,000 mile sign up bonus, after $10K in spend? I think not....

The reason we stopped applying for it is because they stopped offering it. Then apparently (I'm not an expert on Citi app offers over time) they brought it out again with different T/Cs. I can tell you if they had simply lowered the bonus to 50K, and allowed you to still avoid the AF, we'd still be applying for many more of them.

If they want to use a name they have used before, with totally different spnd, and totally different sign up bonus, etc. fine. But it's not the same thing in my book. Pretend it's the same if you wish.Not something I wish to argue about.

qazwsx Jan 9, 2019 8:58 pm

Personal 50k card question

Hi I just got approved for the 50k miles for 3k spend and a total of 6k spend within 12 month for an additional 10k miles. Do I need to spend 3k then spend an additional 6k to get the full bonus (total of 9k spend)? Or spend the first 3k for 50k miles and spend another 3k to get 10k bonus (first 3k spent count towards the 6k spend) ?

Saturn Jan 9, 2019 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by qazwsx (Post 30634857)
Hi I just got approved for the 50k miles for 3k spend and a total of 6k spend within 12 month for an additional 10k miles. Do I need to spend 3k then spend an additional 6k to get the full bonus (total of 9k spend)? Or spend the first 3k for 50k miles and spend another 3k to get 10k bonus (first 3k spent count towards the 6k spend) ?

Personally, I would forget about the second tier. Ask for a match to the 65k offer early, meet the first threshold, plan to retire the card. Apply for a new card with mailer code in time to put spend on that.

Saturn Jan 9, 2019 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30629118)
Agreed. I think everything after 11/15 expiration is 50k+10k (or less).

I don't like the lower offer, but I personally have gotten way more mailers in the past 2 months than ever before. Anybody else in that situation? With 1 app per mailer now, it's actually not a bad place to be.

Things have actually been rather dry where I am.

I can also chime in that the last 60k/3k batch had 11/15 expiration, so other poster was mistaken. December offers were all tiered, some with the ridiculous 40k+10k offer.

I did get a bunch of straight 50k/3k mailers with 1/31 expiration.

My most recent arrivals last month were all tiered with 2/15 expiration. Nothing further out, but I trust there will be a fresh campaign in the spring.

bigshooter Jan 10, 2019 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Saturn (Post 30635118)
Personally, I would forget about the second tier. Ask for a match to the 65k offer early, meet the first threshold, plan to retire the card. Apply for a new card with mailer code in time to put spend on that.

If you ask for a 65k match you'll probably get 5k extra points. you need to ask for match to 75k offer to get 15k points or 65k total for $3k spend.

IkeEsq Jan 10, 2019 6:28 am

Originally Posted by qazwsx (Post 30634857)

You need to spend a TOTAL of $6000 (or $10,000 on some cards) within 1 year.

Brituchenite Jan 10, 2019 10:50 am

Hmmmm. Want to use a 9-digit mailer code. Offer in the letter is 50k miles with $3k spend and further 10k miles for $6000 total spend. Follow the link, and the landing page has no mention whatsoever of Miles offer. (see image). Code was valid to 12/31/18, but I've always been under the impression that codes are usable for approximately 30 days after the validity date.

Any thoughts? I'm not completing this application yet without getting inuput from y'all!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a96c7ac840.png

PresskittJon Jan 10, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Brituchenite (Post 30637203)
Hmmmm. Want to use a 9-digit mailer code. Offer in the letter is 50k miles with $3k spend and further 10k miles for $6000 total spend. Follow the link, and the landing page has no mention whatsoever of Miles offer. (see image). Code was valid to 12/31/18, but I've always been under the impression that codes are usable for approximately 30 days after the validity date.

Any thoughts? I'm not completing this application yet without getting inuput from y'all!

This exact question is specifically asked and answered in the wiki