FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

dangw20 Jan 15, 19 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by xu6652030 (Post 30655977)
I churned a lot citi aa plat. Today my family most of citi cards got closed. My wife has 8 cards include citi Costco. Only two citi aa alive. My mother has 8 citi aa. Same as my wife. Only two cards alive. I got close 3 citi aa accounts, still alive 5 citi aa and citi dividend.

So they closed some accounts for each of you but left others open? Interesting. Did they provide a reason or are you waiting til they send something in the mail (assuming they would)?

bobert24 Jan 15, 19 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20 (Post 30659957)
So they closed some accounts for each of you but left others open? Interesting. Did they provide a reason or are you waiting til they send something in the mail (assuming they would)?

I've been trying to figure out if he's saying that Citi closed them or that he closed them (since we were just talking about how many cards to keep open at a time). It sounds like the former, but that really doesn't make much sense - you would think they would close all or nothing.

bigshooter Jan 16, 19 3:10 am

Interesting DP. I didn't "plumb" my new card first and went straight for VGC. Made 2x$500+ fees and went through. Decided to try again and fraud lock.

Fraud department said they blocked because it looked like merchant was trying to double charge me. So lesson learned, first purchase $1000 or less, second for less than that and let things settle.

Still trying to find the secret sauce to limit the number of trips to the mall I need to take when I get a new card... getting to $6k/month is turning into a chore and taking away from my UR point earning :)

bigshooter Jan 16, 19 3:12 am

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 30659576)
Interesting. We've been applying every 65 and down to 45 days and I've had to call in for at least the last 4. But yesterday, on day 33 from my last app and the shortest time between churns for me, I was auto-approved.

I've had to call and send info on my last 3. It'll be a chore when my new w-2's show up and I have to rescan them :)

walterj Jan 16, 19 10:30 am

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30659232)
Starting with our apps in October, I switched from every 33 days to every 65 day. Since then we've either been auto-approved or approved without a phone call after further processing.

One or two cards every 65 days?

cb11 Jan 16, 19 11:38 am

How long until after creating accounts on AA did you all start receiving mailers? Applied for a regular (non-mailer) personal then regular Biz in the last month so to continue I'll need mailers.

Signed up for accounts for family members end of November.

NTP9766 Jan 16, 19 11:44 am

3-4 months for me.

muji Jan 16, 19 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 30661653)
Last year Citi was locking cards after about 4-8 weeks and requiring cardholders to call in and verify they were the ones opening the card ...I have not had that happen in the last 6 months or so.

Exact same situation for me. This locking of accounts hasn't happened for a good half year.

flyer4512 Jan 16, 19 6:07 pm

DP........I was able to match 60K to 75K via chat yesterday.

LWT3 Jan 16, 19 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30661808)
One or two cards every 65 days?

One. I switched from one card every 33 days to one every 65 days. It was never possible to do 2 every 33 days.

40orFight Jan 16, 19 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30654051)
I used to keep them open for a year (or as close to it as possible), so that they would look better on my credit report in case I had to go through manual recon with another issuer. Now, like most people in this thread, I'm pretty much 100% locked out of cards from anybody else (way too many recent apps), so there's no longer any point to that. I've had as many as 6 per person open before, but now I'm always at half that or less.

I'm a bit torn on this. I don't love the idea of having 6+ active AA cards on my file in case anyone looks (two or three is bad enough). But I'd also rather keep them open for the full year because having a bunch of 3-month accounts doesn't help my average age of accounts one bit. Admittedly, a bunch of 12-month accounts isn't great either, but it is at least marginally better.

Does anyone keep them all open for a full year, or does everyone close them down as soon as possible?

40orFight Jan 16, 19 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by muji (Post 30662583)
Exact same situation for me. This locking of accounts hasn't happened for a good half year.

Same here - which is nice. It was no fun to call multiple times for each new card (i.e., if not auto approved).

And I used to get auto approved a lot more often too. Or it would say "call now for an immediate decision." Neither of those seem to happen much anymore for me. Applying too often it seems.

40orFight Jan 16, 19 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30662151)
3-4 months for me.

Took longer for me. Was more like six months, I think.

geclub1 Jan 16, 19 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by 40orFight (Post 30664398)
... having a bunch of 3-month accounts doesn't help my average age of accounts one bit. Admittedly, a bunch of 12-month accounts isn't great either, but it is at least marginally better.

For FICO scoring purposes, Average age of accounts is measured from the account opening dates for all your open and closed accounts.
"Having a bunch of 3-month accounts" vs "12-month" has no impact on your average age of accounts.

Do not over think this.

VegasGambler Jan 16, 19 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by 40orFight (Post 30664398)
in case anyone looks

The accounts show up on your credit report whether they are open or closed. Who are you worried about looking?