FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

jiaogulan Jan 15, 19 6:33 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan (Post 30624876)
I figured it would take 2 seconds to chat and ask, so I asked for 5,000 more stating "I found a new offer that mentions 75,000, as opposed to the original 70,000 one I saw" and they will grant my wish hopefully.

"I reviewed your account in this case I will go ahead and raise a dispute from your side for additional 5000 reward points.
Monika
at 20:20, Jan 7:
Upon review and approval when rewards will be awarded you should see 75000 points in your reward account."

Got snail mail today saying upon review basically: we gave you 10,000 already and we aren't going to give you 5,000 more. So yeah, don't make a mistake like I did and ask for the wrong match and expect them to make up the difference. ;)

Chatted today on another Platinum card and asked for 15,000 properly and it was sucessfully "processed for review" on the first pass by the chat agent. What I noticed was different was the agent said I'll receive email confirmation in 5-7 business days, not snail mail confirmation.

IkeEsq Jan 15, 19 7:53 am

Originally Posted by NeYo (Post 30652451)
I just got a no-language email offer. Was sent by AA.com not citi and provides a 9 digit code, which you enter the same way as mailers. I checked both the email and the application landing page and it only says "for new accounts only", just like mailers.

You can try using it. Just be aware that in the past people who have applied using emailed codes have been denied the bonus under the 24-month rule.

GH83 Jan 15, 19 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30654159)
I got an interesting letter today. Curious if anybody else got one similar. First of all, it's dated 1/15/19 (time travel, obviously). Apparently there was some confusing wording at some point about earning 2X miles with the plat card at restaurants and gas stations. They just wanted to clarify. Simple enough.

Same here... my heart skipped a beat when I saw it.

walterj Jan 15, 19 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30654393)
Refund goes to closed card would eventually be a check mailed to you automatically after it is there for 2 months - seems it is the regulation when credit is not touched for 2 billing cycles the credit balance would be auto-refunded by check. It probably would be too much a hassle for the banks to program different treatments for active and closed cards. There is no need to request a refund check if you dont need the money immediately. It would come after 2 billing cycles the refund is posted.

eglantine who was doing mailers, had all her cards closed because of a refund to a closed card, reported a few weeks back. Ironically it was on an award ticket refund. I think avoiding any spend which could possibly be refunded, eg normal spending and just sticking to GCs and perhaps taxes is the best practice..

asdfghjk Jan 15, 19 11:03 am

I just got a no-language email offer. Was sent by AA.com not citi and provides a 9 digit code, which you enter the same way as mailers. I checked both the email and the application landing page and it only says "for new accounts only", just like mailers.

if you decide to use it, please keep us posted regarding the sign up bonus. Thanks.

RobertHanson Jan 15, 19 11:10 am

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30657328)
I applied in November, and received the 7-10 day screen. I waited and after ten days nothing, so I called. They told they had just mailed me a letter that same day and I would have to wait. Six days later I got the letter with the four digit code. I called and was approved, 16 days after the application. I just applied again this month using an expired in november offer 60K for 3k spend, I got the 7-10 day screen, I waited two days and called. They told me I would have to wait for an email, phone call or letter. Five days later I received the letter with the 4 digit code. I called and was approved, seven days after the application.

I've had a Citi AA card for over 20 years. DW has had one for almost 10 years. During that time we've both had dozens of Citi cards of various types, most now closed, but several still open.

A couple of weeks ago we applied with mailers. Both apps stayed "pending" for 8 to 10 days. Finally we got frustrated and called. All the CSR wanted was to send a code to our phone. Not sure how that "verifies" anything, but after that we were instantly approved. Shortly after that we each got a letter, probably sent before we called, that said Citi couldn't approve our apps because they couldn't verify our ids.:confused:

After 8/20 years, and approving our previous apps 33 days earlier, now they can't verify our ids? But a code sent to a cell phone somehow does verify it? :rolleyes:

mia Jan 15, 19 11:41 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30657671)
.... a code sent to a cell phone somehow does verify it?

The wireless operators have sold this service. Citi can verify that your name is associated with a specific wireless phone account. The text PIN shows that the person calling about the application has access to that wireless phone account. Citi can also see that the wireless phone account is associated with a cluster of other accounts in the same name. The larger the cluster, the higher the confidence that it is the same person.

This is not "proof" of identity, in the sense of 100% certainty, and it does not "eliminate" the risk of fraud, but it reduces the risk because it is It is evidence that the applicant is real.

SeeBuyFly Jan 15, 19 1:33 pm

Chat response to request for 20K extra (total would have been less than 75K):

" Just to inform, that we can only match up to 15000 points through chat window. However, if you wish, I can help you with the phone number of our Specialized team who can check for the possibilities. "

I took the 15K. I would never call, but now I do not know if SM would have worked for 20K.

DCJoe1 Jan 15, 19 3:45 pm

Also, was asked to send in a 4506-t form for a December application, and as far as I understand the IRS doesn't process these forms during the shutdown. Is there a time limit for citi to close the app if they get no response from the IRS?

I got s similar offer- 50K miles for $2.5K spending. The email says it is "non-transferable". The application page does allow changes to the name/address/etc. No 24 month language anywhere. Interested to hear if this info is different from the previously emailed codes.

VegasGambler Jan 15, 19 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30657778)
The wireless operators have sold this service. Citi can verify that your name is associated with a specific wireless phone account. The text PIN shows that the person calling about the application has access to that wireless phone account. Citi can also see that the wireless phone account is associated with a cluster of other accounts in the same name. The larger the cluster, the higher the confidence that it is the same person.

This is not "proof" of identity, in the sense of 100% certainty, and it does not "eliminate" the risk of fraud, but it reduces the risk because it is It is evidence that the applicant is real.

That's interesting. My phone is prepaid and the name on the account is clearly fake (I didn't see any reason to give T-mobile my real name -- I set it to something like "ABC"). I've been using it for over a decade (not the same phone, but the same account) and never had an issue. I'm pretty sure I've done this "text me a code" thing before (not with Citi, but with other lenders), and never had a problem.

LWT3 Jan 15, 19 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30658113)
Unfortunately this isn't uncommon if you've been churning and get the 7-10 day message, and don't call them. Call one of the contact phone numbers in the wiki (such as (800) 695-5171). They'll get it processed for you quickly. They've pretty much stopped approving cards for frequent appliers without a phone call, so we don't even wait anymore - we generally call the same day we apply.

Starting with our apps in October, I switched from every 33 days to every 65 day. Since then we've either been auto-approved or approved without a phone call after further processing.

RobertHanson Jan 15, 19 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 30655002)
TWO of my brothers received the same postal mail today. One of my wife's sisters also appears to have received one (I don't open her mail but the exterior looks identical, and she doesn't get much mail except from Citi and AA). It's odd.

Those addressed to my brothers do name them ("Dear My Brother's Name...") and references the last 4 digits of cards that were not opened by anyone who lives here.

Now, it's true that there have been some Citi cards opened by folks in my house, but none that match the numbers on the letters. I'm left scratching my head wondering where those 4 digit numbers came from.

As an aside, I'm guessing that Citi is finding that their new 2X (at restaurants and gas stations) card benefit is not being used as much as they expected, and they think that by being more clear that should bump up those results. I'm not sure I would draw the same conclusion, but wish them luck. Now, if they offered 5X at office supply stores or grocery stores, I bet that would move the needle significantly.

HA! My twin brother, who doesn't have a credit history, just got that letter. Addressed to him, and listing a cc number that's never been given to anyone at our residence. What the ("heck") ?

Is Citi trying to get the person they have sent so many mailers, to call them to straighten this out? Cause I'm pretty sure most of us on this thread, if we hadn't read about it here, got one of these letters addressed to our actual name, with an account number listed that we have never received, would call Citi to find out what's up. Especially since no one yet has posted that they got that letter sent directly to them, only to the person who got the mailer. Hmmm....

So if someone gets this letter, and it's addressed to YOU, and not a "family member", please post about it here.

NeYo Jan 15, 19 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by DCJoe1 (Post 30658811)
I got s similar offer- 50K miles for $2.5K spending. The email says it is "non-transferable". The application page does allow changes to the name/address/etc. No 24 month language anywhere. Interested to hear if this info is different from the previously emailed codes.

Yeah this is the same offer I got. Debating between using this for my next app or a mailer with the 50k + 10k offer. Are you planning on applying with the email code?

fredc84 Jan 15, 19 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30659232)
Starting with our apps in October, I switched from every 33 days to every 65 day. Since then we've either been auto-approved or approved without a phone call after further processing.

Interesting. We've been applying every 65 and down to 45 days and I've had to call in for at least the last 4. But yesterday, on day 33 from my last app and the shortest time between churns for me, I was auto-approved.

40orFight Jan 15, 19 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by NeYo (Post 30659396)
Yeah this is the same offer I got. Debating between using this for my next app or a mailer with the 50k + 10k offer. Are you planning on applying with the email code?

One of my family members got this email offer as well. I'm thinking one of us might use it. It's a better offer if you consider that it could possibly be matched with 20k extra miles (because there is no 10k on the back end making it look like a 60k offer up front), and has slightly lower spend. I'm just nervous about wasting an app slot if it turns out not to be exempted like the mailers. Any advice is appreciated.

Apply for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® and earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.* The annual fee of $99 is waived for the first 12 months.

Apply today using your non-transferable, exclusive invitation number [___]. This number can be used one time to apply for this credit card offer. Offer expires 02/04/2019.