Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE:

Just talked to a manager based in Maryland. She advised this has been ongoing system glitch, first discovered around Mid June that no TYP ID is generated for new TYP cards. At first they thought when statement is generated, the ID would be created by the system - but that has proved to be wishful thinking. Right now there is NO WAY to even manually link the new card to the TYP network, let alone an existing TYP account, due to the new card does not have a TYP ID.

No time frame for resolution other than the empty promise that we are aware and are working on it, as well as the assurance that the TYP earned will continue be "warehoused" on the card side until the glitch is fixed.

For whatever reason, Citi seems to always have issues in correctly sending earnings to partners (both AA and HHonors cards have had issues in sending earnings to partners accounts), now it could not even handle its internal transfer.... Really retarded!

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
Still NO WELCOME EMAIL.

Statement closed yesterday July 6th, there are 338 TYPs earned on that statement because we held off paying $2K+ cruise until yesterday and it is still showing Pending.

On the statement it reads - Member ID: NA - No TYP account is created for this card!

What excuse Citi will give this time, when the rep's supervisor said once points are earned, a TYP ID would be visible but it is NOT the case after all. The only visible is NA. Not Applicable. (obviously not in deltame's case as he got the TY ID a few days after receiving the card).

Originally Posted by deltame
Several days after receiving the card itself I received an email welcome to Thank You. It mentioned log into Thank You website to combine accounts. The new premier account number is then visible at thankyou.com for me to combine with other existing sponsor accounts without any issue.

So just be patient and wait few more days for their computer system to sort it out. I received the card on Day 7 and thankyou welcome email on Day 11, if this is of help to you as a reference point.
Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the helpful info.

Card arrived on June 29. Linked it to existing Citi user id the same day.

No Welcome email has come, yet.

The ThankYou site still does not recognize the card. i.e. does not allow me to Add as Citi Account under the Sponsor Accounts. Since it still has no TY ID, cannot do the combine TY accounts thing. TY rep said it was system glitch - requires earning TYP first before TY ID would be created.

Based on your experience, it obviously is NOT the case being told by the TY rep, as I assume you have not had your first statement yet when you got the Welcome email that allows you to combine TY IDs.

Statement will close on July 6th. A really short cycle. Could meet spend with a cruise payment but we postpone it until the ThankYou ID for the new card is generated. It is OK to have a few hundreds TYPs floating inside Citi system, but would be really annoyed if the near 60K points are at stake.

EDIT

Still no Welcome email from TYP.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 7, 2015 at 7:58 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:03 am
jk2

UPDATE:

Just talked to a manager based in Maryland. She advised this has been ongoing system glitch, first discovered around Mid June that no TYP ID is generated for new TYP cards. At first they thought when statement is generated, the ID would be created by the system - but that has proved to be wishful thinking. Right now there is NO WAY to even manually link the new card to the TYP network, let alone an existing TYP account, due to the new card does not have a TYP ID.

No time frame for resolution other than the empty promise that we are aware and are working on it, as well as the assurance that the TYP earned will continue be "warehoused" on the card side until the glitch is fixed.

For whatever reason, Citi seems to always have issues in correctly sending earnings to partners (both AA and HHonors cards have had issues in sending earnings to partners accounts), now it could not even handle its internal transfer.... Really retarded!

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
Still NO WELCOME EMAIL.

Statement closed yesterday July 6th, there are 338 TYPs earned on that statement because we held off paying $2K+ cruise until yesterday and it is still showing Pending.

On the statement it reads - Member ID: NA - No TYP account is created for this card!

What excuse Citi will give this time, when the rep's supervisor said once points are earned, a TYP ID would be visible but it is NOT the case after all. The only visible is NA. Not Applicable. (obviously not in deltame's case as he got the TY ID a few days after receiving the card).
I had the same issue. After many attempts, I decided to call Citi and their ThankYou department merged all TYP accounts into single one.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:33 am

I had opened Premier card on Friday, logged into my TY account today and saw a notification that a card was eligible to be merged into my account. I clicked a couple of buttons and the new card that I have yet to receive is already a part of my TY account.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:40 pm

Does a high current balance on other Citi cards affect my chances of being approved for Premier card?

I know it doesn't count as part of utilization until statement close, but I don't know if it'll affect my chances if I have to call in for recon?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:38 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by hitman1420
Does a high current balance on other Citi cards affect my chances of being approved for Premier card?

I know it doesn't count as part of utilization until statement close, but I don't know if it'll affect my chances if I have to call in for recon?
I'd recommend paying off credit cards before trying to play the points game. I think it depends on how high the balance and credit limits are though for whether this will mean you can get approved. If you are carrying high balances though at high interest, you are much better off saving a ton of cash by opening a card with a 0% balance-transfer ability.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by hitman1420

Yep - I don't have first had experience with it but I would think that maxing out one card then asking for more credit before it is paid down will not help your app.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Does anyone know how Citi handles Gym Memberships as far as category?

I created a spreadsheet of my charges/TYP earning from my Citi Premier in the last month statement, and it was all in line except some $50 total (i.e. my 1X was 50 lower, my 2X was 100 higher).

After scanning through, it's definitely not any of my restaurants.

That leaves Entertainment. Now, for Gold's Gym they said EntertainmentMEMBERSHIP CLUBS-SPORTS,RECREATION. However, this was one of the few things that tallied up to $50, and even the rounding would make it correct. So I think I've narrowed the culprit to these charges.

But my question is this: even though it's Entertainment, do gym memberships actually COUNT as entertainment?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
I had the same issue. After many attempts, I decided to call Citi and their ThankYou department merged all TYP accounts into single one.
Your card has a TY ID.

They cannot do it on husband's new card because the new card does NOT even have a TYP account. The TYP ID is NA, Not Applicable.

The manager I talked to, tried to add the card but got the same error - TY side does not recognize the card.

Until a TY ID is attached to the card, there is nothing they can do according to this manager.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I had opened Premier card on Friday, logged into my TY account today and saw a notification that a card was eligible to be merged into my account. I clicked a couple of buttons and the new card that I have yet to receive is already a part of my TY account.
Lucky you.

No such notification in my husband's TY account. Continue getting error message when attempting to add the card under sponsor account tab.

On the Citicard side, it shows as a TYP card but with point balance Not Available. Despite its earned a few hundreds on the first statement closed on July 6th.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:10 am

Does anyone have an idea about how long this deal is going to last? I want to jump on before it goes away, but would rather wait a bit. Will they normally announce the offer is almost done or just take away overnight?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by savedbyhim01
Does anyone have an idea about how long this deal is going to last? I want to jump on before it goes away, but would rather wait a bit. Will they normally announce the offer is almost done or just take away overnight?
In my experience the links just stop working unless there is an expiration date on a deal (there does not appear to be one on this deal). I was in similar boat and just got the card to be safe since it seems like a promotional bonus they are running. It's been 10 days and I still don't have my card, btw.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Citi's reply on the TY account

Sent them an SM and got this reply:

We do show there is a delay in setting up the Thank You member account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Our records show the Thank You member account will be set up and linked to your Premier card within the next 14 business days.

If there is any way we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

When husband applied his card he got a System Error at final submission. When he called within 15 minutes, he was told his application was already approved. The system crash may or may not have something to do with the TY account issue.

We called on June 30 when we could not add the card to existing TY account. The rep said he would manually link it and it would take 7 business days to become effective. Now it is NEXT 14 business days...

Right now, any TYPs earned on this new card are in limbo until the card is linked to TY network.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:42 am

Apologizes for rookie question, but I have the Prestige, and was awarded the 100,000K bonus miles after meeting the MS, If I apply for the Citi Premier, its considered a separate product - correct? Its been over two months since I applied for Prestige. - Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by (ok)
Apologizes for rookie question, but I have the Prestige, and was awarded the 100,000K bonus miles after meeting the MS, If I apply for the Citi Premier, its considered a separate product - correct? Its been over two months since I applied for Prestige. - Thanks.
Correct -- it is a completely separate product.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:42 pm

Sorry to hear that. But such is life and I've learned not to punish myself for other people's mistake/problem. For example, Capital One does not seem to want my business. I didn't jump on the Venture card huge bonus a number of years ago but decided to applying for Quick Silver last year and again Venture this year, and I was rejected both times. Perhaps my score is too high and spending pattern does not fit their business model. There is nothing I can do about it so I just let it go and move on.

We called on June 30 when we could not add the card to existing TY account. The rep said he would manually link it and it would take 7 business days to become effective. Now it is NEXT 14 business days...

Right now, any TYPs earned on this new card are in limbo until the card is linked to TY network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.