Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Has anyone who got approved over the Independence Day weekend gotten their cards yet?
Negative. I applied 7/5. I called on 7/14 to find out why I hadn't received the card yet. They said it was shipped on 7/8, and that it might take 7-10 business days. I called again on 7/17. This time they said I should have gotten it by now, so they overnighted me another card. Got it less than 24 hours later, on Saturday morning.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LiarsDice
I find it hard to believe a product change to the DC would be treated as closing. Are you referring specifically to new bonus terms only? The account should remain in tact, including age of account.

Please note I'm not saying you're wrong. Based on your # of posts it's safe to assume you're in fact right. I'm just looking for supportive data or a direction to find such information.
Since when the account history is mentioned? The discussion is based on whether a downgrade would affect the time line when determining the eligibility of bonus. That is the question asked, and that is the answer being given based on what is asked.

At downgrade, the card TYPE changes - therefore the previous card TYPE is closed, and the new card TYPE opened. It has NOTHING to do with account history, but everything to do whether you can open a new card of the Previous, pre-downgraded card TYPE for a bonus - since the previous card TYPE is closed at the time you downgrade, you would need to wait 18 months from the date of downgrade in order to meet the new 18 months rule.

Let me give you a REAL LIFE data point on why a DC or PC is considered a CLOSE of the downgraded card. We had a Preferred card which has some TYPs that I thought had long been redeemed. We PCed it to a Double Cash - at that time, we were informed there were still 1146 TYPs associated with the Preferred card that we had X days to redeem it because now the Preferred was CLOSED.

Account history remains the SAME as you correctly point out (whether the account number changes or not, it is irrelevant). Regardless the Card Number remains the SAME - the Preferred is considered being CLOSED and the associated TYPs would expire within X days. To top it off, in order to clear out all the 1146 expiring points, we had to redeem MORE due to Citi's redemption goes by FIFO, and the odd number of 1146.

Unless your question has nothing to do with getting a new sign up bonus, but just about maintaining the Account History, then you can ignore the above.

However, that is not the poster's concern which is related to new sign up bonus. That is why people should get their 2nd card FIRST before they downgrade or convert their previous cards that have passed the 18 months mark - a mistake that could be avoided had people think it thru the scenario and understand WHICH aspect is the factor. Account history has NO ROLE in determining the eligibility of another bonus. Open and close an account is the sole criteria.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 19, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Auerbach
Negative. I applied 7/5. I called on 7/14 to find out why I hadn't received the card yet. They said it was shipped on 7/8, and that it might take 7-10 business days. I called again on 7/17. This time they said I should have gotten it by now, so they overnighted me another card. Got it less than 24 hours later, on Saturday morning.
Who did you call? Unless I'm mistaken, you don't have the card number yet?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:51 am

Has anyone who got approved over the Independence Day weekend gotten their cards yet?
Approved 7/2. It arrived 7/17.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Approved 7/7
Arrived 7/20 via US mail in a fancy box like Executive and Hyatt cards. Spouse's premier arrived June 29 in the plain white envelope via US mail.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
How Long For 50K Points Bonus to Post?

My husband was approved for the Citi Premier card on 4/22, under the "spend $3k within 3 months for 50K TY points promo." Card was received 4/30. On 7/6, spent enough to bring him over the $3K threshold ($3,032 to be exact, a figure which has been verified with Customer Service). However, the 50K points have not posted as of today (2 weeks later) and I believe today (or was it yesterday?) was the final day on which spending would qualify for the 50K bonus.

We emailed Customer Service last week about the points, and they verified the amount spent. They also said to wait a couple of cycles and that we should call them if the bonus points have not posted by then(!)

I remember going though this thread a couple of weeks ago, and a poster claimed that the points posted within a few days of meeting the spending threshold. Was this atypical? How long does it normally take for these bonus points to post? In my experience with AMEX and Chase, the bonus points normally posted within a couple of days.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:04 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by pashber
My husband was approved for the Citi Premier card on 4/22, under the "spend $3k within 3 months for 50K TY points promo." Card was received 4/30. On 7/6, spent enough to bring him over the $3K threshold ($3,032 to be exact, a figure which has been verified with Customer Service). However, the 50K points have not posted as of today (2 weeks later) and I believe today (or was it yesterday?) was the final day on which spending would qualify for the 50K bonus.

We emailed Customer Service last week about the points, and they verified the amount spent. They also said to wait a couple of cycles and that we should call them if the bonus points have not posted by then(!)

I remember going though this thread a couple of weeks ago, and a poster claimed that the points posted within a few days of meeting the spending threshold. Was this atypical? How long does it normally take for these bonus points to post? In my experience with AMEX and Chase, the bonus points normally posted within a couple of days.
It should post with a statement close.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:00 pm

Update: My original card arrived today in the nice gift box. Instantly shredded it since I already received and activated the one they overnighted. I'm just glad there's not a card with my name on it floating around in the wilderness.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Originally Posted by NDN
It should post with a statement close.
Thanks for the info. Statement closes on the 5th, which is more than two weeks away. Hope we don't return any purchases because it will be too late to make additional purchases to qualify for the bonus.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:34 am

I've been using my card pretty regularly for normal everyday purchases since I received it this past weekend. Tried to use Citi Premier at local grocery store yesterday to buy a sandwhich, some wine, 2x $500 VGCs and another GC. Total was $1,300 and change. Transaction didn't go through. So I tried it without the GCs, which brought the total down to $30 and change, and it still wouldn't go through. Had to call Citi's fraud dept to get the account verified. They said it was flagged because it was a new account. I went through the verification steps, which included texting me a code that I had to read back over the phone, went back into the grocery store to try it again, and it worked fine. Just a heads up. I haven't had that happen with Chase, Barclay, Cap One, or Amex. Kinda sux when you have to hold up the line. Not sure if there's a way to preemptively verify the card before you try to use it on a larger purchase.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:40 am

Almost used this card for attraction ticket purchase in WI Dells but than wasn't sure if I would get 3 points per dollar so I used to my Citi Double cash card.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:43 am

I've been using my card pretty regularly for normal everyday purchases since I received it this past weekend. Tried to use Citi Premier at local grocery store yesterday to buy a sandwhich, some wine, 2x $500 VGCs and another GC. Total was $1,300 and change. Transaction didn't go through. So I tried it without the GCs, which brought the total down to $30 and change, and it still wouldn't go through. Had to call Citi's fraud dept to get the account verified. They said it was flagged because it was a new account. I went through the verification steps, which included texting me a code that I had to read back over the phone, went back into the grocery store to try it again, and it worked fine. Just a heads up. I haven't had that happen with Chase, Barclay, Cap One, or Amex. Kinda sux when you have to hold up the line. Not sure if there's a way to preemptively verify the card before you try to use it on a larger purchase.
Have this happened to me on brand new TY card. Activated, gave heads up call to make sure it works for my target transaction that night and it got blocked.Called again and still didn't work. OnThird time it worked.

It is all due to everything happening on same day or too quick= activation and big purchases!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:45 am

Expedite new cards?

Anyone know if citi would expedite a newly approved card? I've asked but one rep said they no longer do it. Just trying to see if I should waste time calling back again.

Also, does the Thank you Premier come with no foreign transaction fee?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hqly2001
Anyone know if citi would expedite a newly approved card? I've asked but one rep said they no longer do it. Just trying to see if I should waste time calling back again.
Citi doesn't tend to expedite for "mere mortal" cards. They might expedite for those cards with very high annual fees (multiple hundreds of dollars) which are not waived the first year. (Apparently only then do they feel that offsets the cost of expediting the card.)
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Applied a week ago. Today I got a letter thought yah! But to my chagrin its just my cardmember agreement and a letter telling me to expect another letter with my card. Seriously? lol just send it with the card. Ugh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.