Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
After 10 days, the app approved itself. On this particular CB that Citi pulled (EX), 9 hard pulls the past 6 months, 5 of them were 3 weeks ago, 1 of them being a Citi AA MC app.

I tried getting approved via chat twice in those 10 days of pending with no luck as both times the agents say they are being handled and locked by another department.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:32 pm

I have applied for a lot of citi cards but never cared about how long the card took to get to me.

I am going to Vegas next Saturday, If I apply tonight do you think the card would get to me by next Friday ?

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have applied for a lot of citi cards but never cared about how long the card took to get to me.

I am going to Vegas next Saturday, If I apply tonight do you think the card would get to me by next Friday ?

Thanks
I think it's a good possibility. I received my premier in about 11 days time (Los Angeles area).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by winsteven13
I think it's a good possibility. I received my premier in about 11 days time (Los Angeles area).
I actually didn't get instant approval ( first time in years as I had twenty something Hilton Visas) and had to call in.

Just answered some questions and got approved for $8600.

FWIW I applied at less than 65 days for my 3rd Citi card, I never pushed it less than 65 days in the past but am going to Vegas 9/5 and can make the $3K spend in one weekend.

Girl said the card should arrive in under a week.

6/25 Hilton Visa

7/8 Hilton Visa

8/25 Citi TYP

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 26, 2015 at 1:57 am
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Girl said the card should arrive in under a week.
They told me that too, but like the OP above, I got it in 11 days.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
They told me that too, but like the OP above, I got it in 11 days.
Hopefully it arrives by Friday 9/5
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by Brugge
AFAIK, Citi usually goes by # of HPs in 6 months. Which before the AOR was 7, assuming all of those are with EXP, and that would probably have gotten you approved. Up until recently, even 8 has been working for people with your history with Citi. But if you did all three of the new apps before the Premier, that would put you at 10. And recently HPs have started being recorded instantly at CBs, instead of taking hours to days as in the recent past. So all of them would have been in play for the Premier app.

I'm sure you are a profitable customer for Citi. Still, if you did have 10 HPs it's not surprising you got denied. A little over a year ago I got my first ever denial from Citi with @ 11+ HPs/6. The good news is that I waited 3 months without doing any more apps , and my HPs/6 fell back to 5. Meanwhile I lowered my TCCL from $60K to $30K, and then I got an instant approval for an EXEC app. So you can probably still get that Premier, you just have to wait a while.

When you get that denial letter, you can use it to get a free CR from EXP, so you can find out exactly how many HPs you have with them, and when some of them will fall off. While you're waiting for that, take a look at your Citi CLs, decide which ones are more than you need to have, and start lowering those. Ideally I'd say try to get your TCCL down to no more than $30K. Obviously, cards like your wife's Premier, which is being used for travel, need to have some serious CL. But anything in your sock drawer can be lowered to $2K. The only exception is an EXEC, which has to stay at $5K.

Take a break from apps, trim your TCCL, and let those HPs fall off, and you should be back to getting easy approvals from Citi again.
As usual, wise counsel . Sorry for my rant. I feel pretty foolish not to have been more aware of the 6 HP in 6 mos rule (of thumb), but as the saying goes in the legal profession, ignorance of the law is no excuse. So, lesson learned the hard way. For those who are thinking about applying for a Citi card, remember to count your HPs. The ironic thing is, I had planned to take a break after this round. So, no real change in plans, but I'll be without a Premier.

Just a minor point about the order of apps; I'd done the two AE first (bus, then pers), then the Premier, then the Marriott (pers), all within a few seconds of each other, literally.

Anyway, all three non-Citi cards were approved. For comparison, Chase had no problem moving credit from my Ritz card after just a few questions to confirm identity source of income. The agent and I both laughed when I said there's no way I'll ever need a $xx,000 line on a hotel credit card, even at Ritz' prices. AE had a few questions about the SPG bus card, mostly to confirm identity, but they said they weren't able to process the app immediately because their connection to the CRA wasn't working. Seems odd, but oh well. I called back a few days later and it was approved. Waited another 4 or 5 days and then saw that my SPG pers was approved, w/o a call. Funny thing is, I received an email from Starwood about the 2 stay/5 night credits before I saw the approval at AE
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:35 am

Approved, told 1 week, no way to expedite.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:58 pm

[New Offer!]

Earn 60,000 ThankYou Points (TYP) after spending $3,500 in first 3 months! This is the best offer in history!

Direct link: https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...st%7E000017001

This is not an affiliate link, it's a secret public link, if you want to apply, do it soon, otherwise the link may die at any time...

Originally posted in my blog: http://www.uscreditcardguide.com/cit...r-credit-card/

[Edit at 10:30 am PST] The landing page is dead. So I replaced it with the application page. If you want to apply, do it soon!

Last edited by mia; Aug 28, 2015 at 2:15 pm
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:34 pm

Added wiki link to 60k points/$3.5k spend offer.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:54 pm

If I just applied for the 50K offer, anyway to call and get the 60K offer?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by davie355
Added wiki link to 60k points/$3.5k spend offer.
Is this a targeted offer?

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
If I just applied for the 50K offer, anyway to call and get the 60K offer?
Does Citi have a history of matching offers?

Last edited by mia; Aug 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by KyleG
Is this a targeted offer?
I think not. If you search "citi premier 60,000" you will already find several blogs discussing the offer.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Any luck getting matched to 60k TY offer for Premier?

Applied and was instantly approved for the Premier card on 8/4 that offered 50k TY points for $3k/3 mo. Already hit over $3k through MS, but first month billing statement hasn't closed. Tried today to get a match to the 60k TY points offer for $3,500/3 mo that seems to be exploding all over the twitterverse and blogosphere with no luck.

Also expressed disappointment and was more or less told that there's nothing that can be done since this was not the offer when I applied. Also argued that I wouldn't want to apply for any cards with Citi in the future if I never know when a better offer might come around. Even tried to leverage my 11 year relationship with Citi (have over $60k CL with them), hoping they might throw me a bone with some bonus points (1k at least?) if they couldn't match, but no luck there either.

I understand their logic, as Citi doesn't really have to offer anything at all. I'm pretty happy with the 50k offer and plan on using this card regularly, but obviously 60k is better if available.

For those who recently applied for the 50k offer, anyone have any luck getting Citi to match? I know Chase is great about matching, and Citi is hit or miss.

Last edited by bhamsan01; Aug 28, 2015 at 9:53 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:56 am

I think Citi sucks at matching.

I have the 20k TYP first year 30k second bonus, and they wouldn't even match the 50k one year for 3k spend. I tried calling/twitter/chat but no luck. The phone rep did gave me 1000 TYP extra for my grievance...

Last edited by kur4ki; Aug 28, 2015 at 10:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.