Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ChanmanX
Simultaneously applied for the Platinum Selected Visa Signature, the 50K / $2500 4month spend version, using the link at the beginning of this thread; and the 50K CitiBusiness AAdvantage 50K using the link at thepointsguy. (the 50K link in this thread doesn't work, guys!) I pre-filled both applications in two browsers and submitted within seconds of each other. Was instantly approved for both, so I'm pretty stoked! Now hoping I don't get screwed out of my welcome bonuses.
Why do you say the 50k business link in this thread doesn't work? There are currently 3 50k business links on the first post and they all successfully open the application page for me. And I have received the bonus every time I've applied for a business card.

Also, there's no need to do the 2 browser trick with Citi personal and business apps as Citi considers them separate entities. You can still get a personal and business card on the same day but it will be 2 credit pulls. The recent discussion about trying for 2 Citi cards in one day was for 2 personal cards, and it seems to no longer work.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by shand32783
I guessed it would have been an Eastern Time company, so I applied at 8:58pm Pacific and got approved for the 50,000 app on post #1... Then at 9:05pm Pacific, figuring it would be next day on East coast applied for 30,000 gold and couldn't get past step #3 so figured it had cut me off as a 2nd app same day...

Would I be able to call them back and try to get the 2nd approved or would that be considered the 3rd app?
Calling them about the 2nd app would not be considered a 3rd app. However, you're better off waiting a few days to see if you get approved.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by ddallas
Originally Posted by greek2me
Did Amex/Chase already today, looking at Citi now. I've had tough time keeping up with all the twists and turns on AA cards. Anyone offer insight into latest intelligence re following:
1) I got both AA Visa and Amex 22 mos ago. Visa still open, Amex was closed. Can I get the AA Amex with 50k, $150 statement credit, waived 1st yr fee even though Visa still open?
Maybe, others have.

Great- thanks for the reply

2) Want to do 2 Citi cards at once for combined pull and salivating over TY Pref with 5x categories for 1st year. I got TY Pref 18 mos ago but canceled 2 months ago. Can I get the both AA Amex and TYP with the 5x today?
I don't think anyone can tell you that for sure. There may be a new wrinkle with only one application per day now.

Thanks. If I do go ahead on this I will report back.

Will it be 1 hard pull or two (when different Citi entity issues diff cards end up with 2 pulls even though both Citi cards)?
Will be two pulls which may or may not be merged by the credit bureau they pull.

Thanks, knew there would be 2 pulls, was curious if anyone had applied for an AA and TYP at same time and whether they got 2 separate or 1 consolidated pull. Love to hear if anyone has done this.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
In the past you could get it every 6 months. Not sure right now. If you read back through the thread, the February posts report mixed results. Some get denied for "first time only" and some get the card again. I think you have a good chance to get it if you qualify for instant approval. If you don't get instant approval I would not call, some that called in February were rejected after the rep looked at their file and saw that they have had the card in the past others did not have that problem. So mixed results. Most people report needing to close the previous card to get a new one or they get denied for "maximum cards allowed" or something like that. At least one person has reported that he did not need to close the previous. So once again, mixed results.
Originally Posted by sbbi
thanks lw7878!

I also heard one can apply for citi AA biz card every 6 month? is it true? do i have to cancel the existing AA biz card before re-applying?

what is the 65-day rule? (sorry for the silly question..)

BTW, when will i receive the 10% return on miles redeemed? quarter end, year end or certain period of time after redemption?
Citi will not approve more than two personal cards in 65 days. This is on top of the recent wrinkle about not approving more than 1 card per day. From what I have read, this might be the safer approach for the Citi AA cards :

Apply for Platium VISA or AMEX, wait for a few days, apply for Gold Mastercard, wait for 18 months, repeat.

As far as the business version, the rule I have heard was that you need to close it and wait for 6 months before applying for it again. Plus, you need to wait for 90+ days from your last personal card. (Updated after posting: Ignore the comment about 90+ days) But now we have seen mixed report as ddallas pointed out. So YMMV.

AA posted the 10% return to my FF acount in 5 days after I redeemed the miles. Pretty quick.

Last edited by lw7878; Mar 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm
Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gwar69
I noticed offer #4 is gone from the first post. That's the one I applied for and received (business version). I thought it said I got Admiral's club passes, but the rep only mentioned receiving one upon renewal. Did anybody else who applied under offer #4 receive 2 Admiral's Club passes?

Thanks
These were the terms I had listed for #4 before removing the dead links yesterday. It did indeed include AC passes:

"4. Up to $100 credit, two admirals club passes, 50k miles (40k for $2k within 4 months of opening + 10k after $5k within 12 months of opening), 2 miles/$ on AA"
Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by lw7878
As far as the business version, the rule I have heard was that you need to close it and wait for 6 months before applying for it again. Plus, you need to wait for 90+ days from your last personal card.
I don't know where this comes from. I've been getting a business card every 91-92 days for the last ~2 years. Admittedly the last one was in 1/2013 and things seem to be in flux right now, but why 6 months? Also "90 days after personal card" is a new one for me, where is that from?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ia9561
I don't know that I've ever seen that information come with the card. I've always called to confirm the bonuses.
Thanks,

I'll give them a ring tonight to confirm. It'd be nice if they listed it on the manage-account website.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I don't know where this comes from. I've been getting a business card every 91-92 days for the last ~2 years. Admittedly the last one was in 1/2013 and things seem to be in flux right now, but why 6 months? Also "90 days after personal card" is a new one for me, where is that from?
Cool. ^ You aren't necessarily cancelling a card before a new app? Just before AF is due? Do you usually receive instant approval, or always need to call recon?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ops5
Cool. ^ You aren't necessarily cancelling a card before a new app? Just before AF is due? Do you usually receive instant approval, or always need to call recon?
I always cancel the card account (via web message) before applying for a new card, but the umbrella account always stays open. Sometimes instant approval, sometimes delayed. Once I was denied; I waited another 92 days before applying again.

Of course, my lucky streak could end next time. They may be tightening up across the board, and reading these threads to see what loopholes they should close.

I haven't gotten personal cards in a long time, since they stopped giving them to me. Last I knew, there was no connection between personal and biz except for 2-apps-total-every-2-months. So I have no experience of having to wait 90 days after a personal app to make a business app, but maybe it is a new thing?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:37 pm

I always cancel the card account (via web message) before applying for a new card, but the umbrella account always stays open. Sometimes instant approval, sometimes delayed. Once I was denied; I waited another 92 days before applying again.

Of course, my lucky streak could end next time. They may be tightening up across the board, and reading these threads to see what loopholes they should close.

I haven't gotten personal cards in a long time, since they stopped giving them to me. Last I knew, there was no connection between personal and biz except for 2-apps-total-every-2-months. So I have no experience of having to wait 90 days after a personal app to make a business app, but maybe it is a new thing?
Good info. Thank you. And yes, it seems we are in an uncertain time with Citi so this may no longer work. It's been about 9 months since my last AA Biz so I'm tempted.

When you say "sometimes delayed", do you just wait it out and let it process on it's own, or call in proactively?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lw7878
Citi will not approve more than two personal cards in 65 days. This is on top of the recent wrinkle about not approving more than 1 card per day. From what I have read, this might be the safer approach for the Citi AA cards :

Apply for Platium VISA or AMEX, wait for a few days, apply for Gold Mastercard, wait for 18 months, repeat.

As far as the business version, the rule I have heard was that you need to close it and wait for 6 months before applying for it again. Plus, you need to wait for 90+ days from your last personal card. But now we have seen mixed report as ddallas pointed out. So YMMV.

AA posted the 10% return to my FF acount in 5 days after I redeemed the miles. Pretty quick.
Dont count on this.

The 10% rebate is processed in a batch fashion. Last year it was pretty quick and no one seemed to wait longer than a month. If your timing was right (by luck not by design as nobody knows WHEN is the batch processing time), you could get your rebate as quick as in your experience, or no longer than a month.

HOWEVER, in 2013, the posting has been delayed quite a bit. The first batch seemed to be run just last week - the outcome was, many folks early January redemption did not get the 10% rebate until last week of February - the longest ones were a full 8 weeks, while those lucky ones just redeemed on 3rd week of February also got theirs in less than a week because the batch swept all redemption up to the date the batch was processed.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
unfortunately, I can't answer that ... there might have been a continue button, there might not have.

Def no chat option like others sometimes state appears and no option to open up the online account like I have gotten, but AFAIK, it was step 3 no instant approval and that is it.
Not all apps have chat options. It is 50/50 in our household's experiences.

You can only see the online account set up option as well as the statement date option etc by clicking the Continue button. They do not show up on the Step 3 screen.

On top of that I have noticed now the App ID and phone number are shown in really tiny wordings in the middle of the screen versus in the past they were quite prominently displayed. I totally missed it on the recent apps.

I nope others who may read these posts to pay some attention on their Step 3 screen and report back their details one way or the other.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Just to add or reiterate on my experience, my wife got Application IDs on both apps, but when I checked online (https://www.accountonline.com/cards/...?screenID=3187) I got a status on her AA Biz application but the HHonors application just said Call Customer Service 888-201-4523.

My HHonors application went to Step 3 and had no application ID.

The CSR I spoke with said that there was no credit pull, that the system rejected the application internally based on multiple applications.

As always, CSR-talk must be taken with a grain of salt, but if no credit report was pulled then calling or not calling was not going to make a difference, the application was DOA.

Ike
Hi Ike,

On your previous posts regarding your experiences, you mentioned wify's HHonor app was denied despite her app reached Step 5. I doubt the system would give App ID without running a credit report check. I were you, I would verify the CFR's comment about no credit pull (assuming on both wify's HHonor and your HHonor) against the credit report - that would be a piece of knowledge on the "value" of getting an App ID showing on the screen. (Every app has an App ID made up with date and the actual ID number - except, only those reach Step 5 can see it on the screen by the applicant.)

I do agree with you if no credit pull the App is DOA as it is rejected by the system as "no need to consider such app."
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:55 pm

Applied through link in first post for personal amex.

1. $150 statement credit for the first eligible AA purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership, 50k miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 2 AC passes

When I called to confirm, I was only quoted the 50k miles for 3k spend, but not the statement credit. Is that still in play for others recently?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:14 pm

what is umbrella account (for biz card)? How to cancel a card without cancelling its "umbrella account"? thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.