Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Irwin Alvarado
What a bummer about not being able to get the 100k points.

Data point: My wife just applied for the 50k personal Visa and got instantly approved. Just to test, she applied for Amex and got a further review needed notice.

I thought she should had hold off on the AMEX since she could try applying for a 30k miles MC in a couple of days right? If she comes back denied for the AMEX for multiple apps, will she still be able to apply for the MC?
If she applied for the 50k select Amex, she'll get denied. If that app was DOA, I don't know if Citi will consider it one of her 2 apps within 60-65 days. Have her try for the gold mc below or a business card and let us know if it works.

Originally Posted by Irwin Alvarado

Which 30k product are you applying for 2 days later? I see:
  • Platinum Select AAdvantage Gold Mastercard with 30k bonus
  • Citi Gold AAdvantage Visa Signature with 25k bonus
  • Citi Business AAdvantage World Mastercard 30k bonus
The Cit Gold mc with 30k bonus:
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...B5D3C4590A50B7

The personal and business cards are mutually exclusive with the big exception being they both count towards the 2 Citi apps within 60-65 day rule. So you can get personal and business cards on the same day or different days if you adhere to the above rule. If you apply for both on the same day, the credit pulls will not merge since the personal and business divisions are separate entities.

If she applies for a business card, use one of the 50k links on the first post.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:28 pm

I have the CitiBusiness AAdvantage VISA from #1 in the first post - does this card have the benefit of first bag checked free?

I have the platinum personal visa also, but I booked the flight with the biz card to get the statement credit, so I assume that won't help me.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It took him several months to make Citi to understand there was an issue with Citi's system to recognize that AA also meant American Airlines!

Originally Posted by Happy
If you want to play it safe, then dont use the AC as your vehicle to trigger credit.
^ Thanks for sharing your experience. Great tip! I'll pull the AA card out when I fly with them next time.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sb239
I have the CitiBusiness AAdvantage VISA from #1 in the first post - does this card have the benefit of first bag checked free?

I have the platinum personal visa also, but I booked the flight with the biz card to get the statement credit, so I assume that won't help me.
It does not matter which card you used to pay. The personal card info is attached to your AAdvantage number. If you have your AA number in your booking, the benefit would be attached.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:49 pm

These offers will most likely be there a loooong time

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...B44B0D1B749652

promo page is still there from 2007!! Tried to app, because if approved would be the laugh of the decade- unfortunately the links don't work.

(Found quite a few of these, while trying to see if I could find an ever better deal than posted here- sharing as a blast from the past and the fact Citi seems to well be a bit lazy when it comes to these things)
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by sb239

I also wanted to know if any of the links on the first page give the first bag free as I would be using this benefit a lot
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, UA Premier Gold; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ufguy2006
I am testing this out with the SO today. Was approved for the 50k visa... will report back tomorrow once the application for the Gold MC is submitted..
Just tried the second app and worked like a charm. Required online chat to add mobile number. Higher limit than the first app...
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by maceto
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...B44B0D1B749652

promo page is still there from 2007!! Tried to app, because if approved would be the laugh of the decade- unfortunately the links don't work.

(Found quite a few of these, while trying to see if I could find an ever better deal than posted here- sharing as a blast from the past and the fact Citi seems to well be a bit lazy when it comes to these things)
LOL. Next time someone asks for a splash page, point them to one of those. Makes you appreciate what we have now. Hopefully we are not headed back to the days of 20K bonuses on these cards. On the other hand back then you could get two every 60 days and the spend was only $250.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
what would be the cheapest way to get the $150 statement credit from each card in link #1? I have heard quite a few people just jump on a $150 AA gift card since it's a valid AA purchase but I'd like to hear other options.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by lw7878
Citi will not approve more than two personal cards in 65 days. This is on top of the recent wrinkle about not approving more than 1 card per day. From what I have read, this might be the safer approach for the Citi AA cards :

Apply for Platium VISA or AMEX, wait for a few days, apply for Gold Mastercard
A few days ago, my wife applied for the 50k Visa (18 months since her last app for same card) and was approved. A few minutes later, she applied for the Citi 50k Amex and got pending further review. Figuring she had nothing to lose, a few minutes later, she then went for the Citi 30k Gold MC and got pending further review. Assuming she gets declined for the Amex and MC, what should her next move be? Wait 65 days since the successful Visa app and go for the 50k Amex? Any reason to skip that and go for the 30k Gold MC instead?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by nakataboi
what would be the cheapest way to get the $150 statement credit from each card in link #1? I have heard quite a few people just jump on a $150 AA gift card since it's a valid AA purchase but I'd like to hear other options.
Buy a snack or a drink on an AA flight. If you don't have any flights scheduled, buy a $50 AA gift card.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Assuming she gets declined for the Amex and MC, what should her next move be? Wait 65 days since the successful Visa app and go for the 50k Amex? Any reason to skip that and go for the 30k Gold MC instead?
I don't think there is anything to indicate that she would be able to get the 50K amex since that is a platinum card like the visa. That tends to get you a first time only denial. Maybe 65 days from now apply for a 30K Gold MC or a 50K business card.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
I don't think there is anything to indicate that she would be able to get the 50K amex since that is a platinum card like the visa. That tends to get you a first time only denial.
I see. So, when the 2-browser trick was working I guess you could get the Visa and Amex without a "first time" denial because they only updated their database daily. Now, it seems they update instantly.

The new strategy it seems is:

1. 50k personal Visa day 1
2. 30k personal MC day 2
3. 50k Business Visa day 66.

Am I right?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I see. So, when the 2-browser trick was working I guess you could get the Visa and Amex without a "first time" denial because they only updated their database daily. Now, it seems they update instantly.

The new strategy it seems is:

1. 50k personal Visa day 1
2. 30k personal MC day 2
3. 50k Business Visa day 66.

Am I right?
That's what it is looking like right now.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
Buy a snack or a drink on an AA flight. If you don't have any flights scheduled, buy a $50 AA gift card.
Note that the gift card has limited usefullness. Here are some of the Q&As about it from AA.com:

Q Can I receive a refund if there is a remaining value on my American Airlines Gift Card?
A: Gift Cards are not returnable or redeemable for cash, check or credit, except where required by law.

Q: Can I receive a refund on travel purchased with an American Airlines Gift Card?
A: The terms are governed by the rules that apply to the specific fare you have purchased. If a refundable fare was purchased, the Gift Card amount will be refunded in the form of a voucher. Please contact American Airlines Reservations for more information.

Q: Can the American Airlines Gift Card be used toward the purchase of an AAdvantage Award ticket?
A: No. The Gift Card can not be used for payment of award travel nor the taxes and charges of the award.

Q: Can I use the American Airlines Gift Card for other services and charges?
A: Gift Cards can only be used for the initial electronic ticket purchase on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Gift Cards may also be used for payment of the initial electronic ticket for air travel on any oneworld partner or Codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Gift Cards may not be used for paper tickets. They may not be used for upgrades, flight changes, Admirals Club enrollments, Admirals Club One-Day Pass, any baggage charges, pet charges, unaccompanied minor charges, ticketing charges for transactions through American Airlines Reservations, taxes, charges or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage Award Travel; AmericanAirlines Vacations or other non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Q: Can I use the American Airlines Gift Card at airport locations, travel centers or Western Union?
A: No. American Airlines Gift Cards are only valid for qualifying air travel purchased online at AA.com or by contacting American Airlines Reservations.

Q: Does my American Airlines Gift Card expire?
A: No. The American Airlines Gift Card does not expire. However, once the card is redeemed for an airline ticket, rules and restrictions apply for the fare purchased.

Last edited by Long Islander; Mar 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.