Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by schley
What exactly would you like to know? I applied got instant approval for 10k credit limit. Will use it to meet the min. spend for the bonus.
There are a number of cards discussed on this thread. Did you apply for only one card as you imply? It's not really surprising to hear of someone being approved for one card...this discussion is about combinations of cards, mostly.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
No, what happened to you is exactly what I was wondering about. Thank you for the clarification. The previous post didn't make it explicit what the hard and final outcome was for all 4 cards concerned. The two points you highlighted - denial of two different products and denial of another apps days later - are indeed significant.

There is one other scenario I could think of - if Citi has rules for 1) no more than 2 apps (applications, not approvals) in 60 days, AND 2) no more than one approval per days, AND 3) a second app denied under rule #2 counts in your total towards rule #1. This would explain Ike's scenario, but it's just guesswork at this point.
I am inclined to look at it this way and suggest planning new applications with this in mind despite it is a bit early to draw any reliable conclusion but the experiences IkeEsq posted is Significant, so as the poster who has not had any Citi card app Before his 2 apps a day adventure, plus Post 5149 from TWA44 - all point to your speculation.

Also I am not surprise it has evolved to this stage after gazillions are aware of the 2BT and the bloggers world dumbed it down to pictures and arrows... Citi finally has taken note (and measures) to stop that.

Finally we can no longer point newcomers or lazy posters to just read Post 1 because now it seems Significant changes have taken places making the "rules" no longer applied.

From now on only those who carefully follow and read the fresh data would be better prepared for successful application.

Also, many thanks to IkeEsq for "going for the team" by doing a 3rd app which to me, confirms that 2 apps in 60 days remains true, except now we have 1 IMPORTANT new rule to pay attention to - No 2 apps on same day regardless the products.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 28, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:57 pm

No, what happened to you is exactly what I was wondering about. Thank you for the clarification. The previous post didn't make it explicit what the hard and final outcome was for all 4 cards concerned. The two points you highlighted - denial of two different products and denial of another apps days later - are indeed significant.

There is one other scenario I could think of - if Citi has rules for 1) no more than 2 apps (applications, not approvals) in 60 days, AND 2) no more than one approval per days, AND 3) a second app denied under rule #2 counts in your total towards rule #1. This would explain Ike's scenario, but it's just guesswork at this point.
Airflyer, some of your questions are addressed in my post above (#5149). To summarize:
> never applied to CITI or had any relationship with them whatsoever
> told specifically by a credit analyst during recon call that you cannot apply for two CITI products in the same day (we did an AA MC and a Hilton Hhonors Visa)
> advised first by the rep who connected me to the credit analyst, and then by the credit analyst, to apply on two consecutive days.
That said, when I called recon they did approve both and with good credit limits.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
I dunno.

Wife applied for the AA & HH cards 2/20 .. got to step 3 on both apps, they were submitted seconds from each other using 2 BT.

Never called, got an email with a # only for one of the cards. Got 2 letters approving each card on 2/26

I still think all is possible IF YOU JUST DO NOT CALL. Once a human touches it, your chances go down the tubes IMHO.

She then got the amex PRG on sunday, instant approval.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I dunno.

Wife applied for the AA & HH cards 2/20 .. got to step 3 on both apps, they were submitted seconds from each other using 2 BT.

Never called, got an email with a # only for one of the cards. Got 2 letters approving each card on 2/26

I still think all is possible IF YOU JUST DO NOT CALL. Once a human touches it, your chances go down the tubes IMHO.

That too!

Though I am curious about the Step 3 - are you sure her apps stopped at Step 3 without any "continue" button at the bottom, or she just did not bother to go further? Major difference.

If her apps truly stopped at Step 3 with the brief message about we would let you know in due course and nothing else, then later her apps were approved regardless - this would be yet another NEW data that differed from the old Citi system as we have known in the past.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by TWA44
Airflyer, some of your questions are addressed in my post above (#5149). To summarize:
> never applied to CITI or had any relationship with them whatsoever
> told specifically by a credit analyst during recon call that you cannot apply for two CITI products in the same day (we did an AA MC and a Hilton Hhonors Visa)
> advised first by the rep who connected me to the credit analyst, and then by the credit analyst, to apply on two consecutive days.
That said, when I called recon they did approve both and with good credit limits.
Thanks for the clarification. This still seems to conflict with what IkeEsq experienced, though. Which is not to say I am surprised that the system is either giving different people different results, or is evolving.

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I dunno.

Not sure I can agree with this. The two apps I did last week needed a call on each to confirm basic personal info. No data points as to whether approval would have come without those calls, but they both worked out. 2 in 10 minutes.

So what it certainly seems is that the "no two apps in one day" rule is new as of literally the last week.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I can agree with this. The two apps I did last week needed a call on each to confirm basic personal info. No data points as to whether approval would have come without those calls, but they both worked out. 2 in 10 minutes.

So what it certainly seems is that the "no two apps in one day" rule is new as of literally the last week.
Actually, unless you have recently moved (therefore your new address not reflected in your credit reports yet), you DONT need to call even if it says if you call you would speed up the process... We normally dont call despite such prompting, and the apps would work thru the system in due course which normally was 2 to 3 days, without any contact from our part. Only one occasion when Citi actually called my husband - to allocate credit line on one app while the other app was already approved and the rep who called, had no idea about it.

If one does not have special situation that one thinks a convo is necessary (address change, reaching max credit exposure with Citi etc), my inclination is DO NOT CALL and let the app work thru the system when your app has reached Step 5.

I am curious about those still gotten approvals when they said their apps only reached Step 3 - whether it was STOP right at Step 3 or they hadn't gone further but they could. So far I haven't been able to glean enough "concrete" data to tell which but it is a crucial data in my book.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
We normally dont call despite such prompting, and the apps would work thru the system in due course which normally was 2 to 3 days, without any contact from our part. Only one occasion when Citi actually called my husband - to allocate credit line on one app while the other app was already approved and the rep who called, had no idea about it.

If one does not have special situation that one thinks a convo is necessary (address change, reaching max credit exposure with Citi etc), my inclination is DO NOT CALL and let the app work thru the system when your app has reached Step 5.
Thanks, great to know. It's this sort of street knowledge that it's going to take a newcomer like myself a while to build up, and I appreciate you sharing it.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
That too!

Though I am curious about the Step 3 - are you sure her apps stopped at Step 3 without any "continue" button at the bottom, or she just did not bother to go further? Major difference.

If her apps truly stopped at Step 3 with the brief message about we would let you know in due course and nothing else, then later her apps were approved regardless - this would be yet another NEW data that differed from the old Citi system as we have known in the past.
unfortunately, I can't answer that ... there might have been a continue button, there might not have.

Def no chat option like others sometimes state appears and no option to open up the online account like I have gotten, but AFAIK, it was step 3 no instant approval and that is it.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by packattack12
applied last night for 50k and 30k. 50k approved, 30k declined.

Phone rep confirmed the 50k bonus and $150 statement credit after first purchase on aa.
go pack go!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:43 pm

Just to add or reiterate on my experience, my wife got Application IDs on both apps, but when I checked online (https://www.accountonline.com/cards/...?screenID=3187) I got a status on her AA Biz application but the HHonors application just said Call Customer Service 888-201-4523.

My HHonors application went to Step 3 and had no application ID.

The CSR I spoke with said that there was no credit pull, that the system rejected the application internally based on multiple applications.

As always, CSR-talk must be taken with a grain of salt, but if no credit report was pulled then calling or not calling was not going to make a difference, the application was DOA.

Ike

Actually, unless you have recently moved (therefore your new address not reflected in your credit reports yet), you DONT need to call even if it says if you call you would speed up the process... We normally dont call despite such prompting, and the apps would work thru the system in due course which normally was 2 to 3 days, without any contact from our part. Only one occasion when Citi actually called my husband - to allocate credit line on one app while the other app was already approved and the rep who called, had no idea about it.

I am curious about those still gotten approvals when they said their apps only reached Step 3 - whether it was STOP right at Step 3 or they hadn't gone further but they could. So far I haven't been able to glean enough "concrete" data to tell which but it is a crucial data in my book.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
I noticed offer #4 is gone from the first post. That's the one I applied for and received (business version). I thought it said I got Admiral's club passes, but the rep only mentioned receiving one upon renewal. Did anybody else who applied under offer #4 receive 2 Admiral's Club passes?

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:12 pm

So I applied using the links

Got A notice that your request is pending on the site and you will receive information within the next week.

Today I got my card in the mail with basically no information, registered online.

I don't see any mention of 50,000 miles or even 30,000 miles for that matter in the benefits, nor the 2 AC passes nor information regarding the 150$ in statement credits etc.

Am I missing something/Are these noted somewhere on the citicard.com website after you log-in?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wastelandexplorer
So I applied using the links

Got A notice that your request is pending on the site and you will receive information within the next week.

Today I got my card in the mail with basically no information, registered online.

I don't see any mention of 50,000 miles or even 30,000 miles for that matter in the benefits, nor the 2 AC passes nor information regarding the 150$ in statement credits etc.

Am I missing something/Are these noted somewhere on the citicard.com website after you log-in?
I don't know that I've ever seen that information come with the card. I've always called to confirm the bonuses.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:35 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
i guess someone needs to do this every page... no landing page.

50k miles
2 club passes
$150 statement credit for AA purchases (includes gift cards)
$85 fee waived first year
3k spend in 4 months

visa
amex

no more 2-browser trick fyi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.