Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by papacheesy
I had the Citi Aadvantage personal Visa card in 2010 for 1 year. Would I be eligible for opening a new account through these links and getting the 50k, or has that ship sailed?
Jump on in. If you can handle the min spend, apply for the plat visa one day, and for the gold a few days later.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHG
Ditto here, card arrived in mail today. Applied on the 9th.
Of interest to some of you, the citi rep verified that if you have more than one citi aa card, you can get up to 10,000 miles back (from the 10% miles back when redeeming aa frequent flier miles) per Credit card year (and for each credit card you have, much to my surprise).
You are misinformed by the rep. It is not per Card. It is per AA number, that has one or more eligible cards attached to that AA number.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You are misinformed by the rep. It is not per Card. It is per AA number, that has one or more eligible cards attached to that AA number.
Happy is absolutely correct. So if you want to maximize your rebate, you should attach each AA CC to a different AA #. The drawback is the headache of dealing with multiple AA#s.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by windcloud5
Happy is absolutely correct. So if you want to maximize your rebate, you should attach each AA CC to a different AA #. The drawback is the headache of dealing with multiple AA#s.
Well the real headache might be to attract adverse action from AA for trying to pull this trick. If one has only a few miles in the AA then it might be OK, for others it might not be worth it. YMMV!
Old May 16, 2013, 7:51 pm

I have never had an AA AMEX. I recived two personal cards around 8/11. Should I be able to get the signup bonus for the AA AMEX offering 45k?
Old May 16, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by keirnna
I have never had an AA AMEX. I recived two personal cards around 8/11. Should I be able to get the signup bonus for the AA AMEX offering 45k?
Yes, if you have not applied for a Citi card lately, you should. You might find it easier to get Visa platinum than the Amex.

Cheers!
Old May 16, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by teddy25
Does anyone know what TPG was talking about last week in regarding sources at citi?
Originally Posted by jmdeng
I applied (5/9) for the 50K/2.5K spend after he made that comment and just confirmed today upon activation that the 50K/2.5K is active on my account.
I glanced over TPG's blog and couldn't find what you were talking about. What did TPG say?

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98
Yes, if you have not applied for a Citi card lately, you should. You might find it easier to get Visa platinum than the Amex.

Cheers!
Thanks for the information. Any reason why you say it would be easier to get the Visa? Especially since I still hold it? Despite the two-browser trick being dead I should be able to get both the bonus on the Citi Executive and a Platinum Visa or AMEX right?
Old May 17, 2013, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by jeanie
I glanced over TPG's blog and couldn't find what you were talking about. What did TPG say?
Check out the May 8th entry on BRG FAQ and Top 10. There's a note in there about hearing from Citi that the unadvertised bonuses for these cards were ending. (I assumed on that day, but I guess he doesn't actually say that explicitly)
Old May 17, 2013, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
Thanks for the information. Any reason why you say it would be easier to get the Visa? Especially since I still hold it? Despite the two-browser trick being dead I should be able to get both the bonus on the Citi Executive and a Platinum Visa or AMEX right?
I have been holding off on my next rounds of apps as I try to figure out this very question! The best answer seems to be "yes" -- people here have said "no more than two apps within 60 days", but I've also PM-ed the guy who wrote the "Bible" on the Citi AA cards in the old thread and he seemed to think you could apply for both. Of course I think you are getting seriously into YMMV territory with the Citi cards nowadays. I think I will apply for both cards because who knows how long the offers will last -- I wouldn't want to wait 65 days just to find out the deals have died in the meantime.

This is a long and somewhat unhelpful answer but my suggestion is to go for it; at least, that's what I'm going to do.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:05 am

Data Point - I applied for a Platinum Visa a month ago (see below) and today, applied for a second Amex -using the link from #3 on the first page. This is a second Amex card. I have an existing Amex for about three years.

I applied using the link in #3, and got to step five, I received the message to call in. I called and after a brief conversation was approved. The issue was that I needed to move credit from existing cards to the new card. During the process of moving credit the representative saw that I already had an existing AA Amex card and offered to take credit from that credit line. The whole process was easy.

While on the phone the Representative confirmed that 45,000 miles bonus, and the $150 statement credit. They did not mention the AC passes and I didn't inquire. I will just wait and see if those are sent, or talk to the person when I activate the cards.

This brings my current number of AA cards to a total of 6

AA Mastercard
AA Visa Platinum
AA Visa Gold
AA Amex (original)
AA Amex (new)
AA Citibusiness Visa

Originally Posted by marktelefono
Data Point:

Applied for the Platinum Visa in Link 2. This is the second time I received this card.

Current AA Cards: I currently have four open Citi AA cards

A) Mastercard – (open for 4 years, 10 months)
B) Amex – (open for 3 years, 3 months)
C) Visa Gold – (open for 5 months)
D) Citibusiness Visa – (open for 5 months)

Last time I had the Platinum Visa: I applied on 10/19/11 for the Platinum Visa, held the card for 11 months and then cancelled on 9/12 prior to the annual fee coming due. As of today it has been about 16 months since the last application.

Today’s Application: I applied today using the Visa link under number two. I got to step five and the chat window popped up, the representative noted that I had four open cards and thanked me for being a valued customer. He said I needed to move credit from an existing card, which I did, and was immediately approved. He stated (without my prompting) that the card will earn 50,000 miles after $2500 spend.

Hope this helps.
Old May 17, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Since I finished my AA AmEx spend early, I decided to apply for a second AA Visa on a whim. I've had the first one since June 2010. I wasn't instantly approved so I figured no go, but today I got a call offering to move some of the credit limit from my other Citi cards to a new Visa card. So I get a second AA Visa.

It's still doubtful I'll get the bonus, but maybe I'll get the statement credit or something. When I activate the card I'll ask.
Originally Posted by cnn
I have the same data point, even better: I got the Visa card (offer #2) in Mar, already got 50k bonus.
Just applied for the AMEX card (offer #3), got instant approval! Hopefully I will get the bonus too. Have 18 EX inquiries in the last 2 years!
Originally Posted by marktelefono
Data Point - I applied for a Platinum Visa a month ago (see below) and today, applied for a second Amex -using the link from #3 on the first page. This is a second Amex card. I have an existing Amex for about three years.

I applied using the link in #3, and got to step five, I received the message to call in. I called and after a brief conversation was approved. The issue was that I needed to move credit from existing cards to the new card. During the process of moving credit the representative saw that I already had an existing AA Amex card and offered to take credit from that credit line. The whole process was easy.

While on the phone the Representative confirmed that 45,000 miles bonus, and the $150 statement credit. They did not mention the AC passes and I didn't inquire. I will just wait and see if those are sent, or talk to the person when I activate the cards.

This brings my current number of AA cards to a total of 6

AA Mastercard
AA Visa Platinum
AA Visa Gold
AA Amex (original)
AA Amex (new)
AA Citibusiness Visa
Unless I'm missing something that's three FTers who have managed to get two personal Citi Platinum cards within a short period of time between apps. Is this a change in the rules or were we missing something before?

Has anyone else tried this recently and gotten approved?
Old May 17, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by LizSchwartz
I cannot find any valid links for Citi Business card with AA miles except for the standard offer on the site of 35,000 miles. None of the links on the front page seem to work. Are all of these now expired?
Where do you see a 35k offer? I only found the publicly-posted MC Gold card with 30k miles for a $1k spend.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by jmdeng
Check out the May 8th entry on BRG FAQ and Top 10. There's a note in there about hearing from Citi that the unadvertised bonuses for these cards were ending. (I assumed on that day, but I guess he doesn't actually say that explicitly)
Thanks for the info!
Old May 17, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by Long Islander
Where do you see a 35k offer? I only found the publicly-posted MC Gold card with 30k miles for a $1k spend.
aa.com/lovethejourney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.