Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 7:00 pm

I am thinking of applying AA Visa card but as per TPG blog, this may be gone by now.

Did any one apply recently in the last week and still got approved with the bonus points? I see someone applied on 5/8 and was successful.

Any more data points?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
I've been able to get 2 visa sigplat in the last year. Just applied for and instantly approved for the AA MC.

I called to see about getting my new MC expedited as I am heading of town in about 9 days but they said no. Anyone ever had luck getting a new card expidited on the AA MC?

Got a foreign rep which was strange as with my visa sigs I always get well trained domestic service. Does Citi out source their CS for the MC product?
Old May 17, 2013, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
aa.com/lovethejourney
talk about timing, was just about to post about this offer we received in the mail! curious if anyone with both the AMEX and visa cards has been approved for the platinum select mastercard? interestingly this card seems to offer a 5% rebate on renewal:

5% AAdvantage® Mileage Bonus for Renewal of Annual Cardmembership: Each cardmembership year, the primary cardmember will earn a 5% American Airlines AAdvantage® mileage bonus on eligible purchases provided that the following conditions are met: (1) the primary cardmember renews the annual cardmembership, and (2) the account remains open for at least 45 days after cardmembership renewal. Eligible purchases exclude balance transfers, fees, cash advances, items returned for credit and finance charges. The 5% AAdvantage® mileage bonus will be calculated as a percentage of the eligible purchases made on the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® during the cardmembership year (each 12 month period prior to the account anniversary date) and will post to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after the above requirements are met.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by cyno
I am thinking of applying AA Visa card but as per TPG blog, this may be gone by now.

Did any one apply recently in the last week and still got approved with the bonus points? I see someone applied on 5/8 and was successful.

Any more data points?

Thanks
Welcome to Flyertalk! While TPG is a reputable blogger, Citi is very inconsistent. There have been references citing "sources from Citi" before with the same rumor over the past few years, but I don't remember if it was TPG or a different blogger. I have no doubt that Citi said that. But Citi has never gotten around to removing all of the old links before despite the rumors that they would. One theory is that the Citi department that talks to the bloggers is a different department than the one that removes web links.

Probably shouldn't say this due to the risk of it starting up again, but there were some controversial threads accusing bloggers of pressuring Citi to remove the links. I am in no way implying that TPG would do something like that. I have heard of TPG, but am not very familiar with his blog.

You see, the links on several travel blogs give referral fees to the bloggers for each credit card that is approved using that link. The referral fees can be $100 or more per approved app. Flyertalk has a policy of not allowing referral links on the message boards. So if people are using the links on this thread, then no one is getting a referral fee. And some (but not all) bloggers would prefer us to use the links they provide rather than the ones on FT so that they can earn money from the app. To be honest, I don't keep up with the blogs, and I don't know all of the details of that.

So for me, this goes into the I'll believe it when I see it category. It may very well happen, but hopefully Citi is not organized enough to actually take down all of the links.
Old May 18, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I am citigold but I don't have the plat MC now, so not sure how to apply this offer.

Citigold Preferred Offers:

Citi® Platinum Select®/AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
- up to 50,000 AAdvantage® Bonus Miles

30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® Bonus Miles with $3,000 in card purchases in first 3 months
20,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® Bonus Miles with $15,000 in card purchases in first 12 months
Old May 18, 2013, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
aa.com/lovethejourney
Thanks!
Old May 18, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
But Citi has never gotten around to removing all of the old links before despite the rumors that they would.
Well I tried every link to the Citi Business Visa that claimed to offer 50k miles and all of them are now down. That makes me think that the days of the 50k AA personal Visa's are numbered. Anyone thinking of applying for those should do so as soon as possible.
Old May 18, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by dangw20
Unless I'm missing something that's three FTers who have managed to get two personal Citi Platinum cards within a short period of time between apps. Is this a change in the rules or were we missing something before?

Has anyone else tried this recently and gotten approved?
I'll add another data point. Applied for Visa Signature and AMEX 50k personal offers in February (using 2BT, but was no longer working) and got approved for Visa, denied AMEX. Applied last night for AMEX 45k offer using link #3 on first page and got the "Call in for more info" page. After verifying my name and hanging on hold for about 3 mins.... Approved! Hadn't had any Citi AA cards prior to Feb '13.
Old May 18, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Long Islander
Well I tried every link to the Citi Business Visa that claimed to offer 50k miles and all of them are now down. That makes me think that the days of the 50k AA personal Visa's are numbered. Anyone thinking of applying for those should do so as soon as possible.

If the personal links go down as well, then maybe Citi has gotten its act together. That would be a bummer for the people on this board, wouldn't it?

There was another report a few weeks ago that Citi would be offering better deals to promote the merger. Maybe that info will be correct!
Old May 18, 2013, 8:12 pm

If the personal links go down as well, then maybe Citi has gotten its act together. That would be a bummer for the people on this board, wouldn't it?

There was another report a few weeks ago that Citi would be offering better deals to promote the merger. Maybe that info will be correct!
I hope better deals do come, but these links aren't exactly public. "Better deals to promote the merger" could just mean better than the current publicly available deals. That could even mean something equal to, or less than these expired (but working) deals.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:12 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk! While TPG is a reputable blogger, Citi is very inconsistent. There have been references citing "sources from Citi" before with the same rumor over the past few years, but I don't remember if it was TPG or a different blogger. I have no doubt that Citi said that. But Citi has never gotten around to removing all of the old links before despite the rumors that they would. One theory is that the Citi department that talks to the bloggers is a different department than the one that removes web links.

Probably shouldn't say this due to the risk of it starting up again, but there were some controversial threads accusing bloggers of pressuring Citi to remove the links. I am in no way implying that TPG would do something like that. I have heard of TPG, but am not very familiar with his blog.

You see, the links on several travel blogs give referral fees to the bloggers for each credit card that is approved using that link. The referral fees can be $100 or more per approved app. Flyertalk has a policy of not allowing referral links on the message boards. So if people are using the links on this thread, then no one is getting a referral fee. And some (but not all) bloggers would prefer us to use the links they provide rather than the ones on FT so that they can earn money from the app. To be honest, I don't keep up with the blogs, and I don't know all of the details of that.

So for me, this goes into the I'll believe it when I see it category. It may very well happen, but hopefully Citi is not organized enough to actually take down all of the links.
Thanks for the details. I have a purchase coming up in next 3 days for $3k so am trying to see if I can go with any reward cards. As somebody else said, the business links are gone, so I am just wondering if I should go with the personal or is any better offer available. I need to get the card by tuesday next week too to make the purchase. I know Chase provide expedited shipping but am wondering if anyone do the same?

Thanks
Old May 18, 2013, 10:28 pm

a big thank you to all who reported successfully getting an amex/visa after having been approved for a visa/amex earlier this year (after the 2BM ended). family member was approved for an amex in feb 2013 and a gold mc several days later. was just approved for the visa thru chat (50K after $2.5K spend). wouldn't have known it was possible if it weren't for all the recent datapoints. thanks again!! now if anyone with both the amex and visa has been brave enough to go for the plat mc offer i would love to know your results. otherwise may just test the waters myself shortly and report back
Old May 19, 2013, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyno
I have a purchase coming up in next 3 days for $3k so am trying to see if I can go with any reward cards. As somebody else said, the business links are gone, so I am just wondering if I should go with the personal or is any better offer available. I need to get the card by tuesday next week too to make the purchase. I know Chase provide expedited shipping but am wondering if anyone do the same?
I don't think Citi would be dependable for that. Too often they don't do instant approval, and you have to either call (not necessarily possible always right away) or wait days.

It seems that for your plan you need not just expedited shipping but also near-guaranteed instant approval (not the dreaded "did you get to step 3 or step 5" question).
Old May 19, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by dangw20
Unless I'm missing something that's three FTers who have managed to get two personal Citi Platinum cards within a short period of time between apps. Is this a change in the rules or were we missing something before?

Has anyone else tried this recently and gotten approved?
Data point: Applied for AA Visa and Amex (using 2BT) 13 months ago. Approved for Visa, denied for Amex. Letter to the Office of the President yielded no positive result. Called to cancel the AA Visa close to the 12-month mark, and was offered (and accepted) the annual fee rebate and $500/mo for 16-months deal.

Applied today for the AA Amex using the link in the OP, got to step five, and was connected to a chat agent who approved the card after moving some credit line.

Suggest using IE (rather than Firefox) for Citi apps. Never connects to a chat agent on Firefox, but always has when using IE.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:52 am

Data Point:

Have had the Personal Visa almost 3 years. Used the personal amex link in post #1, applied using chrome, reached step 5, and approved after chat. Was told the offer is:

45k miles after spending $5,000 in 4 months, $150.00 statement credit on first AA purchase within 12 months, AdmrlClubPass, 2 miles for AA Purchases within 12 months.

Small AA purchase here I come!

Last edited by Stubtify; May 19, 2013 at 8:55 am Reason: add that chrome was browser used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.