Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by arlflyer
There are a number of cards discussed on this thread. Did you apply for only one card as you imply? It's not really surprising to hear of someone being approved for one card...this discussion is about combinations of cards, mostly.
My approval is for one card Citi AA 50k as the title indicates. Other white noise in the thread is for those who are interested. Report finished.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:13 pm

Just wanted to add my datapoint to this great thread.

Simultaneously applied for the Platinum Selected Visa Signature, the 50K / $2500 4month spend version, using the link at the beginning of this thread; and the 50K CitiBusiness AAdvantage 50K using the link at thepointsguy. (the 50K link in this thread doesn't work, guys!) I pre-filled both applications in two browsers and submitted within seconds of each other. Was instantly approved for both, so I'm pretty stoked! Now hoping I don't get screwed out of my welcome bonuses.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:23 am

Applied for Citi platinum select AA visa signature card (Approved) and Citi gold card (declined) using two browser trick on monday.
As you guys have been discussing probably a new rule that you can't apply for 2 personal cards a day has been included in the CITI Rule book
Old Mar 1, 2013, 5:08 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Got $50 online GC will report if $150 posts at end of cycle.

Anyone can get their first 50k bonus... that report is white noise.

Nah Citi doesn't usually 'screw' people out of their bonuses like Chase
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by grad10
Applied for Citi platinum select AA visa signature card (Approved) and Citi gold card (declined) using two browser trick on monday.
As you guys have been discussing probably a new rule that you can't apply for 2 personal cards a day has been included in the CITI Rule book
So maybe the "two browser method" will now have to become the "two day method"?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:50 am

anyone get 60k version? Saw post about it on tpg
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by webazoid
anyone get 60k version? Saw post about it on tpg
Not yet but I hope I get it because I really need the miles
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Same Day Declines - What is a day?

If you are applying soon, would you mind a bit of experimenting to determine what the Citi cutoff is for a day?

On application you receive a reference number. The first eight digits are the date.

I was wondering if we could attempt applications at the top of the hour between 11 PM Eastern and 6 AM Eastern to see when Citi cuts off their business day.

If so, please include the following in your data:

day, date and time of application, including timezone
first eight digits of your reference number

example:
applied Sun, March 4, 2AM Eastern
ref: 20130304

It may lead to nothing but knowledge is good.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:53 am

I heard one can re-apply the same card with Citi after 18 months. I applied for a Citi AA Visa card 18 month ago, but i have not cancelled it due to the retention bonus, can I apply for another Citi AA Visa card? (ie. can I have 2 same Citi cards?) or what if I just cancel it now and re-apply awhile later?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by sbbi
I heard one can re-apply the same card with Citi after 18 months. I applied for a Citi AA Visa card 18 month ago, but i have not cancelled it due to the retention bonus, can I apply for another Citi AA Visa card? (ie. can I have 2 same Citi cards?) or what if I just cancel it now and re-apply awhile later?
You don't need to cancel the existing AA card(s) you have. You actually want to keep one AA card so you can get the 10% return on miles redeemed. Just be aware there is a cap for how many miles you can get back. I think it is like 10,000 per year.

You will also want to read the posting in the last a few pages to know the latest changes on how/when to appy for Citi's cards. The two browser trick is pretty much gone and you cannot get approved for more than 1 card per day. Plus, the 65 days rule is mostly still in place. These are just the general 'rules'.

Business cards appears to be harder to get in the past 1 - 2 months and I don't have clear picture for what the new practice should be. I hope more data points can be shared on this version.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:56 am

thanks lw7878!

I also heard one can apply for citi AA biz card every 6 month? is it true? do i have to cancel the existing AA biz card before re-applying?

what is the 65-day rule? (sorry for the silly question..)

BTW, when will i receive the 10% return on miles redeemed? quarter end, year end or certain period of time after redemption?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:58 am

Total assumption...

I guessed it would have been an Eastern Time company, so I applied at 8:58pm Pacific and got approved for the 50,000 app on post #1... Then at 9:05pm Pacific, figuring it would be next day on East coast applied for 30,000 gold and couldn't get past step #3 so figured it had cut me off as a 2nd app same day...

Would I be able to call them back and try to get the 2nd approved or would that be considered the 3rd app?

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Did Amex/Chase already today, looking at Citi now. I've had tough time keeping up with all the twists and turns on AA cards. Anyone offer insight into latest intelligence re following:
1) I got both AA Visa and Amex 22 mos ago. Visa still open, Amex was closed. Can I get the AA Amex with 50k, $150 statement credit, waived 1st yr fee even though Visa still open?
2) Want to do 2 Citi cards at once for combined pull and salivating over TY Pref with 5x categories for 1st year. I got TY Pref 18 mos ago but canceled 2 months ago. Can I get the both AA Amex and TYP with the 5x today? Will it be 1 hard pull or two (when different Citi entity issues diff cards end up with 2 pulls even though both Citi cards)?
TIA
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by sbbi
I also heard one can apply for citi AA biz card every 6 month? is it true? do i have to cancel the existing AA biz card before re-applying?
In the past you could get it every 6 months. Not sure right now. If you read back through the thread, the February posts report mixed results. Some get denied for "first time only" and some get the card again. I think you have a good chance to get it if you qualify for instant approval. If you don't get instant approval I would not call, some that called in February were rejected after the rep looked at their file and saw that they have had the card in the past others did not have that problem. So mixed results. Most people report needing to close the previous card to get a new one or they get denied for "maximum cards allowed" or something like that. At least one person has reported that he did not need to close the previous. So once again, mixed results.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by greek2me
Did Amex/Chase already today, looking at Citi now. I've had tough time keeping up with all the twists and turns on AA cards. Anyone offer insight into latest intelligence re following:
1) I got both AA Visa and Amex 22 mos ago. Visa still open, Amex was closed. Can I get the AA Amex with 50k, $150 statement credit, waived 1st yr fee even though Visa still open?
Maybe, others have.

2) Want to do 2 Citi cards at once for combined pull and salivating over TY Pref with 5x categories for 1st year. I got TY Pref 18 mos ago but canceled 2 months ago. Can I get the both AA Amex and TYP with the 5x today?
I don't think anyone can tell you that for sure. There may be a new wrinkle with only one application per day now.

Will it be 1 hard pull or two (when different Citi entity issues diff cards end up with 2 pulls even though both Citi cards)?
Will be two pulls which may or may not be merged by the credit bureau they pull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.