Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
So I take it that applying for two 50k pts card is dead? Can one do a 50k platinum card and a 30k gold card and get 80k total?
MIXED results. Go read the last few pages before your post you can see for yourself that it goes either way without any discernible pattern.

Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
I applied through the link on post #1 and was approved. So, I should get "$150 statement credit for the first eligible AA purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership, 50k miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 2 AC passes."

I have some questions:
1. Do I need to spend $150 on AA or will a purchase of an amount less than $150 get me the credit?
2. When do they send you the AC passes?

Thanks for your help.
Any amount of eligible AA purchase would do. That includes buying a snack on an AA flight, or eat at the AC lounge. Of course buying a GC from AA also work. Just dont buy AA miles as the transaction is not handled by AA. It has to be invoiced by AA in order for the purchase being counted as eligible.

AC passes come in between 4 to 8 weeks - no telling when - some get them in less than a month some get them much later. Mine Jan pair still have not seen their AC passes yet, and it has been 7 weeks passed.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:16 pm

Can one do a 50k platinum card and a 30k gold card and get 80k total?
Hard to say, things are changing. Just read back a couple pages and you will see. Might only be able to make one application per day now from what some recent posters were told.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:23 pm

Ok, I've been reading the last few posts. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) The 2-browser trick no longer work, and now Citi will only allow you to apply for one card per day. However, business and personal apps are separate, and so 1 personal app and 1 business app is still allowed.
2) Getting 2 personal 50k cards is definitely gone.
3) Getting 1 personal 50k and 1 personal 30k might be possible, but the app needs to be staggered across 2 days. Since they are different cards, one should get 80k if both gets approved?!
4) Getting 1 personal 50k and 1 business 50k might be possible, and can applied in the same day? However, getting 100k is a hit-or-miss since a 100k on 2 personal cards (when it was still possible) is no longer working?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:28 pm

1) The 2-browser trick no longer work, and now Citi will only allow you to apply for one card per day. However, business and personal apps are separate, and so 1 personal app and 1 business app is still allowed.
3) Getting 1 personal 50k and 1 personal 30k might be possible, but the app needs to be staggered across 2 days. Since they are different cards, one should get 80k if both gets approved?!
4) Getting 1 personal 50k and 1 business 50k might be possible, and can applied in the same day? However, getting 100k is a hit-or-miss since a 100k on 2 personal cards (when it was still possible) is no longer working?
Yep, that's what I see.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by bobby21
I applied for both AA Amex and Visa after 24 months last week, got the Visa approved, but declined on the Amex - same 1 day rule. Called recon but no use.

Also applied for the business card on the same day, declined.

So now what? Anyone tried calling recon repeatedly till we get a friendly agent? Or just lie low and apply again after 65 days, or 90 days?
When you say you called Recon, not sure if you spoke to a CSR or a credit analyst. When my husband applied for Citi AA MC and Citi Hilton Hhonors in one day, he got the MC immediately but not the HH. The next day, called Recon, and the CSR told me about the 1 day rule and said to apply online again. She said everything looked good, it was just the one day rule. I asked again - isn't it easier to just approve it now, it is the next day? No, apply again. So I asked her if she could plead my case to a supervisor and she said you can do that yourself and put me through to a credit analyst. He approved the HH card. I do not know if he did another credit pull or not. So if it is just a CSR giving you a "no" I'd suggest trying to get through to a credit analyst. Good luck.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by ftbargain
How does it work ? You need to have the CC opened and acive to get this 10% back ? I recently redeemed 135K AA miles ..it would be nice to get 13.5K back even if it take few weeks to get that.
I'm wondering the same thing. I got the 1. Amex $150 statement credit for the first eligible AA purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership, 50k miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 2 AC passes, am I eligible for the 10% miles back? I have just redeemed 70k for an international flight, it would be nice to get back 7k miles.

I used my Citi AA Amex card to pay for the award flight fees and taxes. Is that an eligible purchase for the $150 statement credit? If so, when will it post?

Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:12 pm

I was approved for the #1 Amex and declined for the #2 Visa about a month ago. I still get AA targeted credit card pre-approved offer for 35-40k miles, should I apply for those or I will get declined again because I have already got the personal #1 Amex?

Also, can I still apply for a 50k miles business card?

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, UA Premier Gold; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hertz PC

I am testing this out with the SO today. Was approved for the 50k visa... will report back tomorrow once the application for the Gold MC is submitted..
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:57 pm

I used the link to apply for

Personal Visa: https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001

Where do I see that I can get the 50k bonus and the $150 statement credit? I called to activate and it was a automated machine.

I was instantly approved btw!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by davidrwu
Where do I see that I can get the 50k bonus and the $150 statement credit? I called to activate and it was a automated machine.
Log in to your account online and send a secure message asking what bonus is attached to your card. That way you will have it in writing. Or you can call and ask but I always do it through secure messaging.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by macboss
I was approved for the #1 Amex and declined for the #2 Visa about a month ago. I still get AA targeted credit card pre-approved offer for 35-40k miles, should I apply for those or I will get declined again because I have already got the personal #1 Amex?

Also, can I still apply for a 50k miles business card?

Thanks
Pre-approved offers are misleading. You're approved for the bank to make you an offer but that does not mean you're approved for a new credit line.

If the 35-40k miles offer is for a platinum or select card (the ones that give a free checked bag and 10% redemption credit), you'll get declined for being an existing cardmember.

You can still apply for the personal gold AA card and/or the business card as long as you don't have more than 2 Citi apps in the last 60-65 days.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
MIXED results. Go read the last few pages before your post you can see for yourself that it goes either way without any discernible pattern.

Any amount of eligible AA purchase would do. That includes buying a snack on an AA flight, or eat at the AC lounge. Of course buying a GC from AA also work. Just dont buy AA miles as the transaction is not handled by AA. It has to be invoiced by AA in order for the purchase being counted as eligible.

AC passes come in between 4 to 8 weeks - no telling when - some get them in less than a month some get them much later. Mine Jan pair still have not seen their AC passes yet, and it has been 7 weeks passed.
The following SM was what Citi responded on 12/6/12 when I asked why the purchase I made at the AA lounge didn't trigger the statement credit.

"Eligible American Airlines purchases are defined as the purchase of items billed by American Airlines as merchant of record. Products or services that do not qualify are car rentals, hotel reservations, American Airlines VacationSM packages, purchases of American Airlines AAdvantage miles, duty free purchases, AA CargoSM products and services and AA Lounge visits. "
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: VX Silver
What a bummer about not being able to get the 100k points.

Data point: My wife just applied for the 50k personal Visa and got instantly approved. Just to test, she applied for Amex and got a further review needed notice.

I thought she should had hold off on the AMEX since she could try applying for a 30k miles MC in a couple of days right? If she comes back denied for the AMEX for multiple apps, will she still be able to apply for the MC?

A quick question:

Which 30k product are you applying for 2 days later? I see:
  • Platinum Select AAdvantage Gold Mastercard with 30k bonus
  • Citi Gold AAdvantage Visa Signature with 25k bonus
  • Citi Business AAdvantage World Mastercard 30k bonus

Is there another 25-30k product different to these ones?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm wondering the same thing. I got the 1. Amex $150 statement credit for the first eligible AA purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership, 50k miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 2 AC passes, am I eligible for the 10% miles back? I have just redeemed 70k for an international flight, it would be nice to get back 7k miles.
Yes, as long as the card is already active when you redeem the award.

I used my Citi AA Amex card to pay for the award flight fees and taxes. Is that an eligible purchase for the $150 statement credit? If so, when will it post?

Thanks.
Yes.

The credit should post either on the statement close date of the billing cycle in which you paid the taxes, or a few days after statement closed in the following billing cycle. No telling which one as I have seen both.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lw7878
The following SM was what Citi responded on 12/6/12 when I asked why the purchase I made at the AA lounge didn't trigger the statement credit.

"Eligible American Airlines purchases are defined as the purchase of items billed by American Airlines as merchant of record. Products or services that do not qualify are car rentals, hotel reservations, American Airlines VacationSM packages, purchases of American Airlines AAdvantage miles, duty free purchases, AA CargoSM products and services and AA Lounge visits. "
I had the hard copy of similar offer with us and I had read them carefully. AC is NOT among the excluded but all others listed above are.

The KEY WORDs are: AA must be the merchant of record, i.e. the purchase must be BILLED by AA.

Sdsearch would tell you that the description of Merchant also can be an issue - for the longest part, the AMEX version would not give 100% eligible purchase the statement credit because the merchant instead of showing up as American Airlines it simply says AA - Citi's stupid system would not recognize it. It took him several months to make Citi to understand there was an issue with Citi's system to recognize that AA also meant American Airlines!

The meals we consumed at JFK AC were billed by AA on our credit card which was an MC. We purposely got the MC because of then issues with the statement credit on the AMEX version.

It triggered the credit on the meals we paid at the lounge. It has also been reported that buying an AC day pass also triggered the credit. If you care to search the thread WAY BACK (1st half of 2012 as this offer actually Officially EXPIRED Jan 2012) when the offer first surfaced, you would see buying AC day pass as well as paying for drinks / meals did the trick.

If you want to play it safe, then dont use the AC as your vehicle to trigger credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.