Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
That said, ok, so you love Chase and AMEX service. Chase and ESPECIALLY AMEX also kill good deals flat dead the instant they want to. Look at the 75k MR offers that all last about 10 seconds. Citi leaves out a two-year-old offer which nets you enough miles for round trip business class to just about anywhere on earth and are you're still hung up on the AC passes and lack of promptness?
AmEx had this 75K promo last year a few times, this year they have it again, what`s the problem? I personally got it last year with no issues whatsoever. I received everything on time. Citi sucks, keep being a cheerleader for them.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
You've called 10 times about getting Admiral's club passes on EXPIRED links that netted you 100K AA points? Good grief! Now you're naming CS reps by name and location, just to prove your point?

If your travel is scheduled soon and you must have passes... MMS has a link to a lounge pass program that is very inexpensive (can't remember the name) or you can buy them on Ebay for about 20 bucks.
The link I applied didn`t expire, and the offer was confirmed with reps. Citi needs to know its "heroes" who destroy it. Seriously, try to get her next time with a problem, you`ll see what I`m talking about.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Data Point

I applied for Plat on a Sunday recently, approved instantly.
Same day applied for Barclays US Air, approved instantly.
2 days later applied for gold, approved instantly.

My last plat card was terminated in 2012 where as gold was terminate in Feb this year.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Kat007
The link I applied didn`t expire, and the offer was confirmed with reps. Citi needs to know its "heroes" who destroy it. Seriously, try to get her next time with a problem, you`ll see what I`m talking about.
you sound like an entitled ...... to the people on this board, can't imagine how you must sound to the CSRs..

I probably wouldn't help you either if you called me up.

think about that
Old May 14, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Kat007
AmEx had this 75K promo last year a few times, this year they have it again, what`s the problem? I personally got it last year with no issues whatsoever. I received everything on time. Citi sucks, keep being a cheerleader for them.
As long as Citi keeps giving away 50k AA miles at a time i sure as hell will be a cheerleader for them!!! Maybe i havent been around this game long enough to develop your sense of entitlement but free first class trips all over the world won't cause any complaints here!!!
Old May 14, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Besides, what is the big deal of AC passes? You get a free beer or cheap wine or soda/naked juice, some salty miniature pretzels... that is all the AC offers. Does this worth so much effort / time to chase them down?
That may be all the AC offers in terms of free food/beverage.

But it also offers free internet (which is not free overall in most of the airports that there are ACs in), including PC terminals (in case you aren't carrying your own laptop/tablet).

And the chairs are more comfortable than gate chairs.

Now, how much that matters may depend a lot on how long your layover is and where. On an hour or hour and a half at DFW, I wouldn't bother. On 5 hours at ORD or LHR* between planes, that might be another story. (The time is one factor; the "niceness" of the airport you're changing planes at might be another factor! )

*AC passes are perhaps of most value to those who have Gold or no status and are flying internationally in coach, in which case they don't get lounge access on those days any other way. (Plats and EXPs get lounge access on days they're traveling int'l longhaul, and award flights booked in longhaul int'l business or first get you lounge access on the basis of the cabin you're in.) I don't tend to have that much use for passes because I get lounge access anyway on int'l flights, and don't tend to have long connections on most domestic flights (and most often connect in nice-enough DFW anyway).

Last edited by sdsearch; May 14, 2013 at 1:07 pm
Old May 14, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by Happy
All very well said, especially No.3. ^

Besides, what is the big deal of AC passes? You get a free beer or cheap wine or soda/naked juice, some salty miniature pretzels... that is all the AC offers. Does this worth so much effort / time to chase them down?
I have to agree with this one. I read a whole bunch of gushing trip reports about lounges before I ever stepped into one. I was really surprised. People seem to get really worked up over access to crackers and coffee. I feel I get better value from paying for a nice meal in an airport restaurant. It's a slightly nicer place to wait, and, unlike in a lounge, I get a meal. (I realize there are wonderful first class lounges out there - but those seem to be the exception.) Now, I do find lounge access nice when I have really long layovers or if I want to get some work done in a quiet corner. I'll definitely use the ones I got. But it's is a small incremental improvement in my travel experience.
Old May 14, 2013, 2:16 pm

New cardholder first bag/Priority boarding minimum

Originally Posted by LLJFK88
All of the new cards, be it Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard feature first checked bag free and priority boarding.
The terms say card has to be open 7 day minimum for the benefit to apply. Is this accurate?

I was gonna make a BA award on AA for next week. Does card benefit still apply?
Old May 14, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
I have to agree with this one. I read a whole bunch of gushing trip reports about lounges before I ever stepped into one. I was really surprised. People seem to get really worked up over access to crackers and coffee. I feel I get better value from paying for a nice meal in an airport restaurant. It's a slightly nicer place to wait, and, unlike in a lounge, I get a meal. (I realize there are wonderful first class lounges out there - but those seem to be the exception.) Now, I do find lounge access nice when I have really long layovers or if I want to get some work done in a quiet corner. I'll definitely use the ones I got. But it's is a small incremental improvement in my travel experience.
+1
Old May 14, 2013, 4:14 pm

cash advance on citi

I am not sure if this post belongs here, so please move it to the right place if required.

I bought a $500 gift card from Safeway store using my citi preferred card to meet the minimum spend 2 days back. But, I have not seen the transaction post to my account yet.

Is it being charged as a cash advance and if yes, will it not show on my credit card account? Please advice.

Thanks.
Old May 14, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Citi takes a while to post transactions.

If you purchased something at a grocery store, 99.9999999% of the time, it will show up as a grocery store purchase.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Also the other .0000001%. It will show up as a grocery store purchase.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Citi takes a while to post transactions.

If you purchased something at a grocery store, 99.9999999% of the time, it will show up as a grocery store purchase.
Thanks for confirming 99.9999999%
Old May 14, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Also the other .0000001%. It will show up as a grocery store purchase.
Thanks for confirming for the other .0000001%
Old May 14, 2013, 6:16 pm

anyone know where to sell AA egift card? Looks like most of gift card stores only accept physical cards? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.