Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by TWA44
The links from #1 on the first post, first page are to two cards: Personal Visa Signature and Personal AMEX. They appear to have the same bonus and same minimum spend. How are people deciding which one to go for? Thanks.
With everything else equal, they pick based on whether they would prefer a Visa or an AMEX.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by breadman
What are the hurdles involved with applying for a business card where the business is just starting? The application asks for annual revenue, would a low number cause my application to be rejected?
This has not proved to be a problem. Banks understand that plenty of startup businesses out there that haven't yet received any revenue need credit cards. The mistake to avoid: putting in an inflated revenue level that you won't be able to justify later. I don't remember the specifics of my last Citi AA business app in August 2011, but I'm absolutely certain I put in a figure of less than $1000.

I remember Amex has buttons for estimates of various ranges of revenue, and the lowest one starts at $0. That's the one I've checked, and I received two business cards from Amex.

My suspicions are that a significant number of the folks who get financial reviews or accounts shut down are the folks who have inflated, rather than underestimated income and revenues.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
With everything else equal, they pick based on whether they would prefer a Visa or an AMEX.
Thanks ddallas for your reply. By that I am thinking you mean that the Visa is accepted just about everywhere and the Amex somewhat less so, although some may think it has more "status." Because actually both are CITI cards, despite what pictures/words may appear on the plastic card itself.

I guess that with different names they are also seen as different products, so one or the other may be more appealing given what cards one has had in the past. But for someone who never has has any AA card - indeed any CITI card - is there any reason to pick one over the other?

I have read that AMEX has better customer service when there is an issue with a warranty on a product, but if these are actually CITI cards, I do not expect that issue factors in.

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I could take into account in choosing between the two? Thanks again.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:21 pm

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I could take into account in choosing between the two? Thanks again.
Do you shop at Costco or other merchants that only take AmEx?

Yes - Get the AmEx.
No - Get the Visa.

Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Do you shop at Costco or other merchants that only take AmEx?

Yes - Get the AmEx.
No - Get the Visa.

That's not a bad way to decide, one thing for the AMEX version is Small Business Saturday where you can get a free $25 credit.

Or just flip a coin. That would work too.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:58 pm

Good points!

I do shop at Costco so have their Amex card, and in November got the Hilton Hhonors Amex which I started using for all Costco runs, but with the recent Hilton deval, it may be better to put the Costco charges to work earning AA points. And another Amex means more Small Business Saturday credits. Thanks. Much appreciated!

After my first dip in the points pool with 4 CC apps, I am getting ready to do an AOR on day 92, which hits later this week. This helps me get more ducks in a row.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Be careful on using a citi Amex card for small business Saturday. Two years ago I registered it, used it, and the credit never posted. I called citi and they said that they didn't participate, that the Amex logo on the card was only a logo and not the same as an Amex card issued by Amex. After calling Amex, they gave me the credit as a courtesy, since I had a "real" Amex card with them, but they told me they were only doing it as a goodwill gesture.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by lovenola
Be careful on using a citi Amex card for small business Saturday. Two years ago I registered it, used it, and the credit never posted. I called citi and they said that they didn't participate, that the Amex logo on the card was only a logo and not the same as an Amex card issued by Amex. After calling Amex, they gave me the credit as a courtesy, since I had a "real" Amex card with them, but they told me they were only doing it as a goodwill gesture.
i've used quite a few non-amex amexes for SBS and other amex twitter/foursquare/facebook promotions and only once had a problem with a credit not posting. was a bit of a hassle as bloomies couldnt help and amex wasnt able to pull up the activity on my bloomies account to see the purchase (no contact info for these promos although if i had the same problem today i'd probably go thru amex's twitter page). i too was eventually given a courtesy credit on an amex card. that being said i would not hesitate to use a non-amex amex again for these promos since amex has really good customer service ^
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:52 pm

sorry, duplicate post

Last edited by brownie20; Feb 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I may try out the 30K Gold card to see. I got the two 50K Visa/AmEx in December 2012. Of interest is the T&C for the Gold card:

1 This Citi / AAdvantage card offer is valid only for first-time Citi / AAdvantage cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account. The American Airlines AAdvantage miles will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage account 8-10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements.

T&C from Post #1 Visa and AmEx links:

This offer is only valid for new accounts.

T&C for Link 1 business card:

This offer is available only if the Business does not already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card and, within the previous 90 days, has not applied for or received a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card.

would love to hear that it's possible for current plat/select members to get the gold bonus too
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:07 pm

That's useful info about SBS. At their last promo, we just had one AMEX card but it had different numbers for each user. We both did the SBS promo and only one got a $25 credit. Maybe I should follow up. I figured there was a limit of one credit per account. Also, we bought stuff at the same store, so maybe that was the issue. After my AOR this week, I will look into it more.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:32 pm

That's useful info about SBS. At their last promo, we just had one AMEX card but it had different numbers for each user. We both did the SBS promo and only one got a $25 credit. Maybe I should follow up. I figured there was a limit of one credit per account. Also, we bought stuff at the same store, so maybe that was the issue. After my AOR this week, I will look into it more.
were both cards separately registered for SBS? usually for amex offers it's one promo per card number but all cards have to be registered individually.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
were both cards separately registered for SBS? usually for amex offers it's one promo per card number but all cards have to be registered individually.
Yes, they both were. I fully expected to get two $25 credits.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:56 pm

"Targeted Offer" Landing Pages

I know that the following offers don't beat the 50k's, but they at least have landing pages. Typing away[#].citicards.com (but replacing # with digits 2 thru 8) will yield the following 30,000 landing pages:

Any [#]

Any [#]

[#]=5

[#]=9 for 40,000

The "targeted" offer I got was for that fourth link (away9.citicards.com for 40,000). All offers above except away9 require only $1,000 in 3 months, the 40,000 requires $3,000 in that time.

In my own opinion, the Amex version of #1 on the first post is still the best...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:57 pm

Data point:

#3 Visa
#4 AMEX

Applied online Jan 8th, 2013. Instantly approved for both. Cards arrived in about 8 days - just in time to buy the engagement ring! Called the toll free numbers on the back of the cards to check "how close am I to getting the bonus?" Bonus confirmed! 95,000 points! I guess our honeymoon flight is taken care of! WOOT!

Now I gotta walk my dad through these steps so he can pay for the wedding with his own cards and get a free flight for him and mom! HAHA!

Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.