Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
... consistently adds approx $10 to the fare.
Correct. Review thread for some reports of reclaiming the fee.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:51 am

I've been searching some fares using TYP and I'm finding the TY search engine seems to be significantly more expensive -- and not just by a $10 or $15 fee. It's for flights on SK. As far as I can tell, if you book through SK's web site or go to, say Orbitz, children are priced less than adults. However, through TY's web site, even if you do the search indicting that there are children in the group, it seems to price out everyone as the adult price. Has anyone run into this before and is there a way around it?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Is there anyway to get around this magical price discrepancy between the Citi TY flight booking engine and the airline's posted price? I'm looking to book some HA inter-island flight, and the difference is about a 35% markup or an additional $30 a ticket. The amount of markup is nuts, for about $15 more than Citi's economy price I can buy a first class ticket from HA's website.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:40 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Is there anyway to get around this magical price discrepancy between the Citi TY flight booking engine and the airline's posted price?
Plenty of examples in this thread, such as post #190.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 3:09 pm

Anyone know the future new changes to the Premier? https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stiga9
Anyone know the future new changes to the Premier? https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card
See discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...20-2013-a.html
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Awesome, a whole thread on it! Had no idea, TY.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is TYP able to book airlines not showing on their website?

If I call TYP, would they be able to book a flight on an airline that does not show up on their online booking tool? Considering how they booked a Spirit flight for me by looking at the price on Spirit's website, I was wondering if they could do the same with say Norwegian or Ryan air.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Can I use my points to buy a ticket for an airline that isn't listed on the ThankYou Rewards online booking tool?

Yes. Although certain airlines, such as Southwest Airlines, are not listed in the ThankYou Rewards online tool, Members can still redeem their points for tickets on all airlines, including Southwest, by calling the ThankYou Travel Center at 1-800-ThankYou.
https://www.thankyou.com/help.jspx
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:55 pm

So I was looking at getting a ticket. It was $1003 a few days ago and yesterday it jumped up to $1080. I've been searching same itinerary at kayak.com and the price is still at $998.
Is this citi pulling old trick of raising price on a frequently searched flight?
Should I be able to match Kayak.com's price (which is direct price from united) by calling Thankyou 800 line and use points?

I followed post #190 but hopefully it wont' take be more than 20-30 minutes of explaining to the rep
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by larciel
So I was looking at getting a ticket. It was $1003 a few days ago and yesterday it jumped up to $1080. I've been searching same itinerary at kayak.com and the price is still at $998.
Is this citi pulling old trick of raising price on a frequently searched flight?
Should I be able to match Kayak.com's price (which is direct price from united) by calling Thankyou 800 line and use points?

I followed post #190 but hopefully it wont' take be more than 20-30 minutes of explaining to the rep
I've noticed this overpricing has become a consistent trend. Just about every fare I check is at least 10% more expensive. I simply don't have the time to waste arguing over $30-50 for the cheap tickets I buy with cash or TYP, so I gave up on it.

I mostly use TYP for hotels, and here too, the overpricing is outrageous. Many hotel fares are as much as 50% more expensive on their portal. It's gotten to the point where I'll just start cashing them out to mortgage payments and store gift cards to get my full value out of them, and dump the card once I'm done "maximizing" the 5x at certain stores promo.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
new thankyou member

I have a thankyou preferred card and have acumulate over 100k points and never use it. I just got approved a citi prestige card. Since i am new to this program, I have some questions:

1. Now I have prestige card i can use my thankyou point as 1.33 cents per dollar to book airticket on thankyou.com. Is that right?

2. If I want to book W or above fare from united on thankyou travel, I can't book it online, right? Is there any telephone number I can use to book that kind of ticket? If so, is there fee associated with it?

3. Can I use thankyou points book refundable ticket on UA, and cancel it get refund. UA will give me a TVCA travel certificate, is that right?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by DOUDOU1980; Oct 4, 2013 at 2:39 am
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
I have a thankyou preferred card and have acumulate over 100k points and never use it. I just got approved a citi prestige card. Since i am new to this program, I have some questions:

1. Now I have prestige card i can use my thankyou point as 1.33 cents per dollar to book airticket on thankyou.com. Is that right?

2. If I want to book W or above fare from united on thankyou travel, I can't book it online, right? Is there any telephone number I can use to book that kind of ticket? If so, is there fee associated with it?

3. Can I use thankyou points book refundable ticket on UA, and cancel it get refund. UA will give me a TVCA travel certificate, is that right?

Thank you in advance!
1. Yes.
2. not sure. I was told that if you don't see them on thankyou website they cannot book for you (because airlines did not make it available to citi)
3. No. I think you need to book non refundable ticket.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:30 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980

Thank you in advance!
For # 2 and # 3, you need to call Thankyou Travel center and talk to a person to book specific fare class/type. You will still get discount when applying thankyou points. You cannot do it online unless the fare class/type matches what is available online (without manual intervention).
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by kiam
For # 2 and # 3, you need to call Thankyou Travel center and talk to a person to book specific fare class/type. You will still get discount when applying thankyou points. You cannot do it online unless the fare class/type matches what is available online (without manual intervention).
Thank you for your help. If I use thankyou points to book refundable ticket in UA, they will refund the thankyou points back to my account or issue me a TCVA type UA e-cert? Any one has this experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.